There are 312 users in the forums

Banks: Nate Clements 2nd worst free agent signing of the decade.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • saeniner
  • Info N/A
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/magazine/specials/2000s/12/04/nfl.trades.free.agents.draft/1.html

Ridiculous that this guy thinks Nate was a worse signing than JAVON WALKER!! Sure Clements hasn't lived up to expectations but he has at least been serviceable, unlike the waste of carbon 12 known as Javon Walker.
He's better than what we had back there. And he's better than what we have now that he is injured. I wouldn't call him the worst FA of the decade.

An improved pass rush would improve Nate's play.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:27:20 ]
Wasn't the signing of DeAngelo Hall by the Raiders one of the worst of the decade? What about them signing Randy Moss?
The fact that he refers to his contract as 8 years $80 million just shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
People still think the deal was worth $80M and it's not....but that's why he's considered a bad signing. Hell, Jonas Jennings should be top 3...that f**king idiot didn't do s**t for us for 4 years and basically stole nearly $36M from this team.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
The fact that he refers to his contract as 8 years $80 million just shows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It really bothers me when I as a fan know more than these people that follow this as a living.

With that list he had, I suppose he would rather have the guys he listed at 2 - 5 over Nate Clements. Makes you wonder if some of these "journalists" even watch football.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
People still think the deal was worth $80M and it's not....but that's why he's considered a bad signing. Hell, Jonas Jennings should be top 3...that f**king idiot didn't do s**t for us for 4 years and basically stole nearly $36M from this team.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Yep Jonas was by far the worst signing between the 2
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's better than what we had back there. And he's better than what we have now that he is injured. I wouldn't call him the worst FA of the decade.

An improved pass rush would improve Nate's play.

Agree he was by far the best CB available in Free Agency that year. He is certainly over payed. He is great in run support and like SD49er said with a improved pass rush would help his play tremendously.

He's been very durable untill HC decided to put him back returning punts

Really, how clueless can these guys get. First, as people mentioned, he gets the contract value wrong.

But that's not enough.

He baes his entire argument on the fact the we surrendered more passing yards in 2007 than in 2006. Sure, the fact that we fielded the worst offense in NFL history couldn't have anything to do with that, could it?

Really, the best answer for this guy is this:
I don't know if he's the second worst signing... but it wasn't a good deal for us for sure. Don't get me wrong, Nate is a good player. But if you look at the numbers he has not been worth nearly what he is being paid. Our pass defense sucks. No question about it. We give up A TON of yards. I'm not sure that Nate is to blame for that. He does have an occasional bad week. But most of the time he is a shut down corner. But you can't deny the fact that he is paid a lot, and our pass defense still sucks.

Move him to safety and target a good young corner in the draft.
I disagree...Nate has had his bad moments, but if you don't think the secondary misses his leadership and tackling ability, you're crazy. Just watch what happens Monday night...he's been death on Fitzgerald. I hope they put Spencer on him, he's the best we've got now. I agree he should restructure his contract...and if he's willing, then we keep him. We still draft a CB, but not in the 1st round. If he's not willing, then Haden makes a ton of sense. I see FS as just as big of a need...so if Nate restructures, then I say we go after Berry. Goldson's been disappointing...not the playmaking disrupter we were hoping for at all.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Nate Clements was a good signing then, and it's still a good signing now.

I shudder to think how bad our pass defense would have been the past couple years without Nate Clements.
He's good, but not a great as everyone hoped for. But they are a better team with guys like him playing versus what we have seen over previous years in the secondary.

People often factor in salary when making observations if someone is good or not, but I think that doesn't make sense. Either someone is good & worth having on the team or not. Whether they get payed too much is an issue between employer & employee.
Share 49ersWebzone