There are 210 users in the forums

Try Davis before the end of the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Smith is doing a lot better than I thought he would. Still does those Smith things, but obviously has improved a lot.

Still, when the playoffs are officially out of reach, then the end of the season should be practice for next year, a pre-pre season.

Let's see what Davis can do against starters.

It would be better for Smith to sit for a half as part of a planned discovery process than to simply be yanked.

It is very important for the team to know exactly what they have at QB prior to the draft.

Oh, and I don't care what the team's record is if they don't make the post-season. That is only important to coach's employment and, well, I sure don't care about that.
please leave now
Ehh.... I wouldn't mind seeing Davis get a series or two... But other than that we have to continue to see if Smith is going to be the long term answer.
NO! Absolutely not. Let Smith finish the season out and name him the permanent starter before the start of training camp. No more competitions. Build an offensive identity around Alex in the offseason. I wouldn't be opposed to them purposely losing the rest of this seasons games to get a better draft pick though.

~Ceadder
Not this again...
Not a chance.

Let him sit and learn. Thats the best thing for him.

Unless Colt McCoy is still sitting there in the 3rd round (most likely not gonna happen), the Niners aren't going to take a QB in the draft. Its going to be Alex Smith and Davis will get his chance to sit and learn.

Additionally this new style of offense that the Niners are using is also the kind of Offense that Davis ran in college.

I just wonder if Shaun Hill will even be on the roster next year.
I have been a tough critic on Smith for the last few years, but have to say one thing...

Competition is over, and Alex Smith is the starting quarterback for the 49ers. He is playing better than any rookie will be able to.
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
please leave now

this !
This kind of thought process kills me. What offense does he know? Spread? I-formation? Dude needs to sit and learn...period.

Originally posted by cNiner:
please leave now

this !

x2
please leave now

this !
I'd like to see Davis get a quarter or less per game to see how he does and then if he does well make him #2 and find a 3rd QB in FA. I'd alos like to see if anyone is on the bubble to play them - and if they can't make the grade - dump them and get better people.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
please leave now

this !

x2

x ∞

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Dec 8, 2009 at 09:39:26 ]
Originally posted by djfullshred:
I have been a tough critic on Smith for the last few years, but have to say one thing...

Competition is over, and Alex Smith is the starting quarterback for the 49ers. He is playing better than any rookie will be able to.

Completely agree. We have the makings of a very good offense that can be together for a very long time. I also say Alex is the starter for next season. An offseason with these young recievers will help so much.
Share 49ersWebzone