There are 285 users in the forums

What would the 9ers record be if......

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What would the 9ers record be if they didnt cut Rossum. Too many close losses and Special Teams has been horrible. Does anyone else think the 9ers would be in the drivers seat of the wildcard if they kept the 30-something past his prime return man?
  • NickV
  • Veteran
I thought about this today kinda, only what would the record be if we had the rushing attack we did in 06.
We started way to many drives inside of our 15 yesterday due to the downright horrible return game.

There was no reason Rossum should have been cut over Spurlock, not one reason at all.
I still would like to know who pulled the trigger on that boneheaded move, and why.

Stupidest personnel descision in recent memory IMO.

duh.
well if you want to live in '06 do you remember the passing game? Or the defense in the second half? Why arent the 9ers looking for a returner right now? Why would you get rid of a returner with no one who could even be called a decent return man on the roster? You wouldnt do that with a holder or long snapper. Turnovers aside just a little help in field position would be big.
We would probably have atleast one more win, maybe two. We might still be in the playoff race. I know he would've helped a ton yesterday, just because he knew how to catch the ball and not screw up and when to let it go and how to get what little yards were available.
Genius move by a coach that wants to play defense and field position. Cut the only proven return man on your team when you have no other capable replacements. Cutting him is not the only reason we are going to have another losing season, but it was still an abysmal decision. Eight straight losing records don't happen by accident. It's a culmination of dumb moves like this.
rossum couldnt stay healthy thats why the niners cut him and the cowboys. i know im pretty much alone in the opinion that he was over rated coming into this season but all of his returns were set up by great blocks not by anything rossum did on his own. even before he got cut he didnt do anything to make himself invaluable to the team.
just add kr/pr to the list of needs for next season
Ok so a younger faster guy like Jones should be having a field day if it was the great blocking correct? First you got to know how to use your blocks as a returner just like sometimes a running back has to slow down to find a hole or bounce it to the outside. He may have lost a step or two but Rossum was a smart return man. Why do you think hes been in the league so long?
Justin Miller is available but Scot must not think that we need him. Great GM we got.

who cares, season is over
We have to go out and sign a guy or draft one. That dude from Clevland is a free agent.
if my sister had balls she'd be my brother..too many what ifs
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
if my sister had balls she'd be my brother..too many what ifs

I think you could make a real strong argument we lost at least 2 games outright because of that. Houston and Seattle. 5 - 7 could be 7 - 5 if we just had a return guy who could not muff the return. And we had it but we cut him. Even if we had zero return yards. I'm not asking for Joshua Cribbs here. I'm just asking for a guy who can catch the ball and not muff it and get 0 return yards. Is that too much to ask? We don't even have that.

Again I'm saying you could make an extremely strong argument we lost 2 games outright on this.

7 - 5 doesn't look so bad does it?
Share 49ersWebzone