LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

Do we go back to smash -mouth

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Oh come on.

We threw the darn game away and gave it to Seattle on a silver platter.

It had nothing to do with Alex Smith's "poor" 300+ yard, 2 touchdown performance.

We are a little too addicted to the WR screen, but other than that, our offense was good.
i like 60/40 with a pass first mentality finishing the season. i don't get why we can't have an even mix. it's either run 700 times a game or pass 800 times a game
We simply don't have the oline to go back to smash mouth football.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No because Gore isn't the same player he used to be, you can't make your offense all about him anymore. He's not very dynamic anymore. If he would have fumbled that ball we would've atleast kicked a FG and he probably would've had his 20 carries. But he fumbled it and then we're trying to go 80-90 yards for the score each time, and you can't run the ball real well if you're trying to go that far in the fourth quarter. If he didn't fumble we'd get the points, control the game, atleast kick a FG, we'd be in control of the game, and he'd get his carries to run some clock. But he fumbled and it changes your whole 4th quarter game plan.

He's not the same player he "used" to be? Wow he must have aged a lot in the few...weeks...since he ran for over 200 yards against the Seahawks.

I'm not a big fan of Gore, and never really have been. I was the one screaming for us to draft Steven Jackson when he was dropping. But there is a thing called "gameplan" and "match-ups". Good coaches try to play up their strengths to go up against an opponents weakness. We don't do that. It's like we flip a coin at the start of the week: heads it's "throw it", tails it's "run and punt".

Now something that is a bit lost on the Gore fans is that most of his yards came on only 2 carries. The rest of the game he was way below average. But still, knowing that Seattle would remember those 2 runs and be worried about it, we should have taken a few more shots at it to open up other things. Oops, but that would be the start of a "gameplan".

[ Edited by RDB4216 on Dec 8, 2009 at 06:27:18 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

This
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
No because Gore isn't the same player he used to be, you can't make your offense all about him anymore. He's not very dynamic anymore. If he would have fumbled that ball we would've atleast kicked a FG and he probably would've had his 20 carries. But he fumbled it and then we're trying to go 80-90 yards for the score each time, and you can't run the ball real well if you're trying to go that far in the fourth quarter. If he didn't fumble we'd get the points, control the game, atleast kick a FG, we'd be in control of the game, and he'd get his carries to run some clock. But he fumbled and it changes your whole 4th quarter game plan.

He's not the same player he "used" to be? Wow he must have aged a lot in the few...weeks...since he ran for over 200 yards against the Seahawks.

I'm not a big fan of Gore, and never really have been. I was the one screaming for us to draft Steven Jackson when he was dropping. But there is a thing called "gameplan" and "match-ups". Good coaches try to play up their strengths to go up against an opponents weakness. We don't do that. It's like we flip a coin at the start of the week: heads it's "throw it", tails it's "run and punt".

Now something that is a bit lost on the Gore fans is that most of his yards came on only 2 carries. The rest of the game he was way below average. But still, knowing that Seattle would remember those 2 runs and be worried about it, we should have taken a few more shots at it to open up other things. Oops, but that would be the start of a "gameplan".

how can you NOT be a fan of frank gore??? the guy is a beast, and has put this team on his back year after year...it's not franks fault he is being utilized incorrectly
We never were smash mouth...it's just a shame it took Singletary and Raye 12 weeks to figure that out. We stay with the passing game, but figure out how to integrate the running game better. I say we need two new RB's...one a power guy, like Gerhart, Clay, Dixon or Unga, the other more a scatback. Sheets may've become that guy, we'll never know. No matter, they're not too difficult to come by. Of course, we'll also need a new LG and RT...guys who can run block as well as pass protect. To succeed in the NFL, you've got to be able to run and pass.
Don't go back... Never go back!

Think of this like an ex girlfriend... There was a reason she ended up your ex. Maybe she was getting boned by your buddies, maybe you were boning her girlfriends... Whatever the reason you broke up, the fact is IT DIDN'T WORK!

You just stick your chest out, keep your head up, and move forward!

It's easy to look at the last game and say if Vernon didn't drop that pass, or Crabtree didn't drop that pass, or if we had run 43.6% of the plays we would have won and had a shot at the playoffs.

However, I think it more likely that if this team had been playing the spread, with Alex as QB from week one, we would have a better record than we do.

It is what it is... A work in progress. But make no mistake, this offense is finally progressing.

Don't go back!
gameplanning was not the problem in this game. the players screwed this one up by dropping a ton of passes and fumbling. No help from the refs that completely blew the call vs. Walker in the end zone.
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
49ers looks good against non physical teams running the ball. But there offensive line is not physical. When Larry Allen was there Gore was the man. There isn't anyone on the line that dominates anybody ever in the 1 on 1 match ups. The WR are physical, the running backs are physical, the TE's are physical. But the Line is not so you can't be smash mouth that way.

Stay in the shotgun and single back. Spread them out.

With a different line I would say this is the perfect week to go smash mouth but we can't do it with the line we have now.
We were never smash mouth in the 1st place this season. O/line was very important and we only had a average line.If we draft or trade for offensive line players that can get a good push as well as pass protect then we can start talking smash. The only mouth smashing we have comes from the defensive side of the ball as of now.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by miked1978:

This

your words will fall on deaf ears.
  • Mex49
When were we smash-mouth?
If you mean running the ball up the gut and dominating at the point of attack by 'smash mouth' I really think this is unrealistic. If we go back into a 2 back 2 tight end set we're doomed. We can still run the ball but it has to be when the defense is spread out. It doesn't work any other way because our line cannot win match ups. This is elementary guys.
Share 49ersWebzone