There are 290 users in the forums

Build Around Smith, Not Gore

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Build around both.

when Gore can't go, be sure to have a back-up ready to go.

we have talent at WR, RB, TE and even FB.

But we need to draft another RB to compliment Gore, can anyone say Spiller? or Dwyer? or even Best?

We have the following to build around.

Crabtree
Morgan
A.Smith
Gore
Coffee
B.Miller
VD
Walker
Hill
Jones

Now we need a OL, we have a solid C in Heitmann, 2 good OT's in Staley and Sims, and a solid backup G in Wragge.

if i was GM, and im not, but if i was, i would have these as our offensive players in 2010.

QB Alex Smith
QB Shaun Hill
QB Nate Davis
RB Frank Gore
RB CJ Spiller
RB Glen Coffee
FB Brit Miller
FB Moran Norris
WR Michael Crabtree
WR Josh Morgan
WR Jason Hill
WR Brandon Jones
WR Rookie (Maybe a speedy guy like Dexter McCluster or Freddie Barnes)
WR Rookie or Vet
TE Vernon Davis
TE Delanie Walker
TE Rookie(Maybe Saunders from South Carolina or Dickson from Oregon)
C Eric Heitmann
C Cody Wallace or draft my boy from Notre Dame Eric Olsen
OG Chilo Rachal
OG Logan Mankins
OG Tony Wragge
OG Rookie
OT Joe Staley
OT Barry Sims
OT Rookie

Do you like Sims better than pashos?
I love Frank Gore, but I was never comfortable with the notion of building a team around an RB. The career span of RB's is just too short. The QB is the one position where a player has a chance to get better into his 30's.

I still don't know if Alex Smith is the right QB, but I do believe that a smart team, that wants to be competitive EVERY YEAR, must build around its QB, and have a well-orchestrated QB succession plan.

The more immdiate question, as I see it, is whether Gore can be effective out of the shotgun, because I truly believe that Smith cannot be consistently effective under center. If these guys are mutually exclusive, one of them has to go in trade. Smith finally has some trade value again and it seems to be increasing. Gore's perceived value in trade might decline significantly by next year. Anyone here remember the Marshall Faulk trade? Ineffective in one offense (Indy), a HOFer in another (STL). It happens.
The key here is to build around your QB...if Singletary/Raye don't do that then they're just plain stupid and deserve to be fired. If Gore can adjust to spreadcoast, fine, but he needs to get on the stick. If he can't, then I agree, trade him while he's got some value. Beyond Gore is another problem...our RB depth is laughable. That must change...I'd suggest a quick scatback and a power RB. Both can be had in the upcoming draft. I'd also suggest we trade to get Josh Cribbs...he'd solve the kick returning issue and he's also a pretty good receiver who'd be effective in a spread offense.
Share 49ersWebzone