There are 200 users in the forums

Build Around Smith, Not Gore

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
it's obvious you build around the qb. that's been our plan since smith was drafted.

It SHOULD have been the plan. Problem is we've had a million and one "plans" since Smith was drafted.

yeah, once we drafted gore and davis, it's only been wide receivers and o-linemen to fix the puzzle for whichever qb was under center. once hill was slotted in we've been building around him not only with players but with coaches as well. i don't think any team builds around a RB

[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Dec 7, 2009 at 15:41:43 ]
I've noticed this year Gore hits the hole standing up instead of yeaning foward,lower than before.You know Alex is a very young 25 years old,I say like you all say lets get young OL now to grow with Alex.Gore will get it back,needs to look for holes like he used to.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
There was an article a few days back talking about how Gore is the perfect back in the spread offense and I couldn't agree more. Gore has proven he can catch the ball and run with it, he is also one of the best blocking backs that can pick up almost any blitz. I think once we get our O-Line fixed, both Gore and Smith will compliment each other.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TJA85:
There was an article a few days back talking about how Gore is the perfect back in the spread offense and I couldn't agree more. Gore has proven he can catch the ball and run with it, he is also one of the best blocking backs that can pick up almost any blitz. I think once we get our O-Line fixed, both Gore and Smith will compliment each other.

"Build around Smith, Not Gore"

I love it. I disagree with it, but I love the fact that our QB is being considered in the same ballpark as our stud RB.

I think you build around both of them by drafting a tackle and guard.

Boom. Done.

Write me in for GM.

JQ
Running backs fumble, that just happens, we cant lynch Gore for that. Adrian Peterson has six fumbles on the season, thats double what Gore has.
Of course you build your team around your quarterback. At the same time you don't totally forget your RB, and lose total balance on offense. He is a play maker.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I have said it many times that this team CANNOT be successful with Gore being the best player on offense. The best player needs to be the QB, maybe just maybe Alex is on his way.
It's a good argument for either.

But it's not mutually exclusive to build around one of them.

- You need a good o-line to run the ball. You need a good o-line to pass the ball.

- Receivers are more important in a passing offense, but they act as a good threat for the running game if there's a fear of a long throw.

- We have a pass-catching TE in Vernon Davis who is also a great run-blocker.

- In all honesty, it's the fullback. But if you have a Tom Rathman, who can catch the ball AND block, it doesn't matter.

Crabtree, Morgan, Gore, Vernon should be on the field at all times. The question is, who is the fifth option?

- Delanie Walker is also a pass-catching TE that has been steadily improving his run-blocking. Defenses can't tell if it's pass or run.

- Moran Norris normally signals run.

- Whoever the slot WR is, (Hill, Bruce, Battle, Jones, etc.) will signal pass.
This is a good topic! And here's my opinion...

It is built for Smith, and I believe that what makes a great RB is also "adaptivity"...and Gore will be a truly great RB if he can adapt himself in a spread environment.

COUGH Cory COUGH Sheets Cough. Nah just kidding Gore will be effective they just need better blocking or maybe different blocking schemes. An oline upgrade would make this offense awsome.
I disagree with all those saying Gore isn't good for the spread. He is a great, shifty player, and is probably our best offensive player! Did you not see those passes in the flat where he simply CANNOT be tackled 1v1? And in the shotgun, when he gets handed the ball he explodes out of the pocket. He has good hands and excels at sneaking out of the backfield and catching the short pass that goes for 8 yards (except when he tips the ball into the air ).

Its not like we have frikkin' Brandon Jacobs back there!
Frank is multi-dimensional, and people are forgetting that Martz practically compared Gore to Marshall Faulk last season due to Frank's intangibles (running, receiving, blocking). Gore is an every-down/multi-fuctional player, and he played out of a multi-dimensional spread-offense at Miami.

In fact putting Gore in the spread will probably increase his shelf life for maybe 3 more years.
With a savage O-line this topic is moot, b/c everyone will share in the success. Spread or not, the pieces are in place except for the line.

I can't believe how people underestimate that which is of the greatest importance- O-LINE.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
With a savage O-line this topic is moot, b/c everyone will share in the success. Spread or not, the pieces are in place except for the line.

I can't believe how people underestimate that which is of the greatest importance- O-LINE.

ya its really obvious we have all the skill positions filled. we definitely need to draft a top flight OT to play opposite Joe Staley for years to come and we need to get a guard or two in FA/Draft. fixing the O-line with good players, not stop gaps, should be priority #1. our offense could be a top offense if we had a decent line. there is nothing wrong with gore, he just has no place to run. and with our current o-line coach, that loser foerster, we will never have a good line. everywhere he's been he's had a bad o-line, they were usually good before and after he got there. fire his sorry ass!!!
Share 49ersWebzone