There are 232 users in the forums

Build Around Smith, Not Gore

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm not here to bash Gore. He is a good player and has a lot of heart. Running backs in the NFL simply don't last long enough to build a team around.

Some are writing today that we don't have an identity. We were built to run, but now all we do is pass, and the result is the same either way...losses. Why, then, take one of the team's proven strengths, Gore, and replace it with a promising but still unproven Alex Smith-based passing attack.

The case for Gore would be more compelling if we had a good OL, but at this point it's academic. We are competing now with a spread attack that superficially masks how weak our OL is. I think most would concede that if Gore ran behind a great OL, he is a top echelon back, if not All-Pro caliber. But by the law of averages, Gore probably only has about two years of good productivity left.

It is maddening to get a talent like Gore and not be able to parlay it into a sustained run as a playoff team. The more important story of the season, however, is the (unexpected?) resurrection of Alex Smith. There are lovers and haters, I know, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that Smith has turned a corner and shed what Urban Meyer termed the period of "dysfunction". And a QB, if protected, is not only the most important player on the field, but they can last 15 years. We may well be coming into a ten year period of high level QB play, and our roster is pretty well stocked with talented and young targets.

Given the cards we are dealt, I think we have to build an offense tailored to the skills of the resurrected Smith. This doesn't mean we have to trade Gore, but Gore may or may not be the RB when this team captures its sixth Lombardi trophy. That will depend on how quickly we can remake our offensive line and get to a point where, after our pass first attack grabs a lead, we can control the tempo of a game and effectively run. Right now we're one dimensional out of necessity.
Build around both.

when Gore can't go, be sure to have a back-up ready to go.

[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:31:23 ]
I think you need to build around an O-line. As we have seen, if those guys are successful, then you can do whatever you want. I do believe, however, you need to decide which aspect of the game you are going to prioritize--pass or run.

Since we are going pass first now, you build a team around the Oline and QB to suit that scheme. I think we are going to have to go with more nimble, athletic linemen in the draft. Mauling OL dont seem to work now.
The team needs to restructure their OL, dumping the bigger, lumbering players, for linemen who are more nimble, athletic.

Second, they need to find RB's who are comfortable lining up in a one-back set, especially lined up next to the QB in the shotgun. Gore is clearly a lost puppy in this set, and needs to adjust or be traded.

The writing is on the wall for this team. The combination of Smith, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, Walker is pretty solid. We do need to run the ball more, there is no doubt. However, we need to find a guy who is shifty enough to make more than one cut and get through a hole. Right now, Gore looks to be the odd man out in this current system.

These four weeks are a big test for Gore, in my opinion. If he cannot adjust, it is time for the team to pick up a Chris Johnson/CJ Spiller-type RB for the future.

Don't get me wrong. I think the world of Frank Gore.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I'm not here to bash Gore. He is a good player and has a lot of heart. Running backs in the NFL simply don't last long enough to build a team around.

Some are writing today that we don't have an identity. We were built to run, but now all we do is pass, and the result is the same either way...losses. Why, then, take one of the team's proven strengths, Gore, and replace it with a promising but still unproven Alex Smith-based passing attack.

The case for Gore would be more compelling if we had a good OL, but at this point it's academic. We are competing now with a spread attack that superficially masks how weak our OL is. I think most would concede that if Gore ran behind a great OL, he is a top echelon back, if not All-Pro caliber. But by the law of averages, Gore probably only has about two years of good productivity left.

It is maddening to get a talent like Gore and not be able to parlay it into a sustained run as a playoff team. The more important story of the season, however, is the (unexpected?) resurrection of Alex Smith. There are lovers and haters, I know, but it is becoming increasingly apparent that Smith has turned a corner and shed what Urban Meyer termed the period of "dysfunction". And a QB, if protected, is not only the most important player on the field, but they can last 15 years. We may well be coming into a ten year period of high level QB play, and our roster is pretty well stocked with talented and young targets.

Given the cards we are dealt, I think we have to build an offense tailored to the skills of the resurrected Smith. This doesn't mean we have to trade Gore, but Gore may or may not be the RB when this team captures its sixth Lombardi trophy. That will depend on how quickly we can remake our offensive line and get to a point where, after our pass first attack grabs a lead, we can control the tempo of a game and effectively run. Right now we're one dimensional out of necessity.

Couldn't agree more, that said Gore's my favorite Niner. I don't think there's another player more committed to the Niner organization. But, I'm in complete favor of building around Alex and his strengths. One, because as you put, he could be around for another 15 years and two because he has terrific upside.
Excellent post!! I agree with your conclusion although you can be sure that the Smith haters will be out in force based on this blasphemous notion.

The NFL is QB driven. RB's play a complimentary butsomewhat unessential part of a teams success. If you look at the most successful teams, they are all led by and built around their QB, not their RB..

Smashmouth football is antiquated and obsolete notion from the bygone era of 3 yards and cloud of dust.
I agree that you need to build around a QB, but I don't know if I'd write Gore off so quickly. Our O-line can't seem to run block out of any formation and Gore has shown he can be effective in the receiving game. Perhaps with our two top picks next year we could nab Trent Williams and Terrence Cody. Who knows...

One thing that's really grinding my gears is how inept our front office appears to be at judging talent. They've had Smith for 5 years and just now figuring out what types of situations to put him in to be successful? These are supposed to be forward-thinking guys and once again we find ourselves staring down some bad draft picks.

Case in point. If we are more effective out of the spread, what the heck are we to do with Coffee now? No forward thinking in S.F. front office.

[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 7, 2009 at 13:03:54 ]
  • ZRF80
I think we've already made our choice. I'll tell yuo what. IF Alex doesnt pan out, this will be a DISASTER. Cause Gore has already proven his worth, and we wasted 3 good years of his career NOT trying to build around him. Now his legs are catching up with him, and i doubt he'll be the featured back 2 years from now. If Alex fails, God help us all.........cause this team is back to square one.
WR's that don't drop the ball would help.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Fix the O-Line...the rest with fix itself.

Build around Shaun hill!!!!!
Originally posted by Nes49:
Fix the O-Line...the rest with fix itself.

The OL can't pick the hole for the running back. Gore is a little indecisive back there. I think playcalling with the running plays has something to do with it. Did you guys notice the EASY 5 to 7 yards we got on the Gore sweep with pulling blockers?

We are running a spread which means more smaller players on defense. We really need to take advantage of the corners and send a convey in that direction. The WCO was knows for pulling its guards becuase of this. Jimmy Raye did it once, had success and never did it again.

[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 7, 2009 at 13:08:33 ]
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I think we've already made our choice. I'll tell yuo what. IF Alex doesnt pan out, this will be a DISASTER. Cause Gore has already proven his worth, and we wasted 3 good years of his career NOT trying to build around him. Now his legs are catching up with him, and i doubt he'll be the featured back 2 years from now. If Alex fails, God help us all.........cause this team is back to square one.

This is not true, the picks on the oline just haven't played up to par. This team was built around a running back because no one knew if we had a good QB. It turns out that we do have a good QB, if we fix the offensive line, Gore will be able to run again and Smith will be able to take snaps from under center again. The offensive line has been a big disappointment thus far, some of it is injury, but not all. Heitman is a pretty good center, but he is going to have to get stronger, he consistently pushed back into the backfield on running plays.
Gore doesn't really fit the spread / shotgun offense. And he fumbles way too much. Plus he has takent a huge pounding for several years. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade him for some draft picks and a speed back who can catch out of the backfield. That would fit us better.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Gore doesn't really fit the spread / shotgun offense. And he fumbles way too much. Plus he has takent a huge pounding for several years. I wouldn't mind seeing us trade him for some draft picks and a speed back who can catch out of the backfield. That would fit us better.

Gore has fumbled before we used the SPREADCOAST,...I believe a full OTA & Training Camp with Gore working in this offense will be good for him. Gore is 1 of our CORE pieces that can & WILL adapt his game.
Share 49ersWebzone