There are 214 users in the forums

Yes, this one hurt, but...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Lets get real.

The niners, while showing signs of having a real offense and maybe of being a pretty damn good team are just a few horses short of what they need to be a contender.

Additionally, they haven't figured out the best use of the talent thay have on the roster now.

This was a run first team, no question. Give Singletary and Raye credit for being flexable enough to recognize what wasn't working and being balsy enough to go in a completely different direction midseason.

Having said that tho, they are running the shotgun TOO much now and haven't found a formation that allows Gore to run. It seems to me that they are lining Gore up to close to the LOS (probably to assist in pass protection) and he doesn't seem to have the space to choose a hole (and there doesn't seem to be a hole for him).

I think next season we are going to see alot of spread formations with 2 TEs and 2 WRs or 3 WRs and 1 TE with Gore set deep and most importantly Alex Smith UNDER CENTER. Its just going to take some time for the O to get all on the same page and understand their own identity. Its going to take some time to mold the O to take the best advantage of the considerable talents on this team.

The D has a good scheme and has some playmakers in the front 7. They have been playing in the same scheme for a few years now and it shows.

Both the O and D have some problems tho that need to be addressed in FA and the Draft. They need to improve the O-line and need a passrushing OLB and a Safety.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as much as this game hurt, the reality is that the just aren't there yet. They just aren't good enough yet to contend.

They have the making of a pretty good team, but they are still figuring themselves out and they still need a few more horses.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
SEA did to us what we did to them in 2006.

This one hurt until later in the night when ARI won. After their win, I was like, it wouldn't have really mattered that much anyways.
Originally posted by Joecool:

This one hurt until later in the night when ARI won. After their win, I was like, it wouldn't have really mattered that much anyways.

Nope and this new Shotgun Spread formation is going to get it's real test in the next couple of weeks when it faces formidable defenses!
We still have somewhat of a shot with the wild card.

I just want to see this team in a damn playoff game.

I'm tired of waiting for next year, every year.

It's draining.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Nope and this new Shotgun Spread formation is going to get it's real test in the next couple of weeks when it faces formidable defenses!

I don't completely agree because it's just different when the pressure isn't on...when the games aren't as critical. We can't seem to pull em out during critical games. Whenever we need a win, we lose.

The spread having success for the remainder of this year doesn't really matter anymore because there's no pressure. Now, the things I will be looking for are the little things within the game such as Alex and Crabs hitting on perfect timing or Alex threading a needle into tight coverage, but even then, the pressure really isn't on anymore.

I mean, there's pressure for Alex to lock in the starting job, but not like there was Sunday.

I don't completely agree because it's just different when the pressure isn't on...when the games aren't as critical. We can't seem to pull em out during critical games. Whenever we need a win, we lose.

The spread having success for the remainder of this year doesn't really matter anymore because there's no pressure. Now, the things I will be looking for are the little things within the game such as Alex and Crabs hitting on perfect timing or Alex threading a needle into tight coverage, but even then, the pressure really isn't on anymore.

I mean, there's pressure for Alex to lock in the starting job, but not like there was Sunday.

I think that yesterday showed a lot for Alex. With the pressure on, he led us on two drives that both should have resulted in points and should have been game winners. As it is only one resulted in a score and it was a field goal due to a dropped pass in the endzone. Alex handled the pressure quiet well IMO. Sure, that last series did not go so well. The problem with that last drive was not Alex as much as the play calling.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think the players appear to be improving, Vernon Davis, Alex Smith, have improved the most. I also have seen a hint of a pass rush. Unfortunately the team looks better, but the record (5-7) does not reflect it. Why does this team look better than the team that finished last year at 5-4, but get worse results on the scoreboard? I really think the coaching staff is getting out coached on Sundays, that is my only explanation.
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:

I think that yesterday showed a lot for Alex. With the pressure on, he led us on two drives that both should have resulted in points and should have been game winners. As it is only one resulted in a score and it was a field goal due to a dropped pass in the endzone. Alex handled the pressure quiet well IMO. Sure, that last series did not go so well. The problem with that last drive was not Alex as much as the play calling.

I agree, but it's still just a little bit different when there's 5 minutes left knowing you are probably going to get the ball back if you fail this time as compared to it's win or lose on THIS drive which is what his errant throws displayed.

Having said that: Alex stepped up for the most part.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
We still have somewhat of a shot with the wild card.

I just want to see this team in a damn playoff game.

I'm tired of waiting for next year, every year.

It's draining.

Yesterday's game hurt the most since i can remember. I almost had the idea of not showing up to the game Monday and just tossing my tix!

No way I would do that but it just sucked yesterday.

Yup, that one hurt. But, I don't think we're as far away from being a contender as some on this board think. Becoming a playoff team is typically a process...you start off being horrible (2005), then you become less horrible over time (2006-2009) then you begin to learn how to win (2010 and beyond).

You get to see how just making a few plays here and there can make all the difference in the world between a 10-6 record and a 6-10 record. You then get your current playmakers (Smith, VD, Crabs, Gore, Morgan, Walker, etc.) to eliminate the key mistakes, and add a few more playmakers to the mix, and you're on your way.

Point being, this season is something to build on (especially with the emergence of Alex Smith as a viable QB) and not just another potential losing season.
I have to agree here. This team is just a couple players away from being a real contender. Smith has clearly emerged as the starting QB for 2010 and possibly beyond that. Next year we will have all our play makers like VD, Gore, Crabtree, etc. with another year under their belts. We absolutely have to address the O-line in the draft and in free agency. We are approx. $ 50M under the cap and have 2 1st round picks. The future is definitely bright !! Unlike the last couple years, we are going to have a REAL offense. We could also use a real stud pass rusher. Maybe trade Carolina's 1st round pick back to them for Peppers ?? If we achieve in getting these 1 things, look out in 2010 !! I also think we need to keep all our coaching in tact for next year. Enough of the changing of the OC. Smith has shown this year that when he finally is comfortable in an offense, he can get it done. Keep Raye, and let Alex develop with the same people around him. Just upgrade the O-line and pass rush and we will be fine ! All that being said, I still hope we destroy the Cards, and see some positive things for next year in these last 4 games. GO 'NINERS !!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Good post. Especially considering that Alex didn't get all of the first team reps in the off-season.
Originally posted by diehardfor20yrs:
I have to agree here. This team is just a couple players away from being a real contender. Smith has clearly emerged as the starting QB for 2010 and possibly beyond that. Next year we will have all our play makers like VD, Gore, Crabtree, etc. with another year under their belts. We absolutely have to address the O-line in the draft and in free agency. We are approx. $ 50M under the cap and have 2 1st round picks. The future is definitely bright !! Unlike the last couple years, we are going to have a REAL offense. We could also use a real stud pass rusher. Maybe trade Carolina's 1st round pick back to them for Peppers ?? If we achieve in getting these 1 things, look out in 2010 !! I also think we need to keep all our coaching in tact for next year. Enough of the changing of the OC. Smith has shown this year that when he finally is comfortable in an offense, he can get it done. Keep Raye, and let Alex develop with the same people around him. Just upgrade the O-line and pass rush and we will be fine ! All that being said, I still hope we destroy the Cards, and see some positive things for next year in these last 4 games. GO 'NINERS !!

Just a note....

It may not take a draft pick to get Peppers....if he gets Franchised, it will cost Carolina 20 Mil for ONE season.
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Yup, that one hurt. But, I don't think we're as far away from being a contender as some on this board think. Becoming a playoff team is typically a process...you start off being horrible (2005), then you become less horrible over time (2006-2009) then you begin to learn how to win (2010 and beyond).

You get to see how just making a few plays here and there can make all the difference in the world between a 10-6 record and a 6-10 record. You then get your current playmakers (Smith, VD, Crabs, Gore, Morgan, Walker, etc.) to eliminate the key mistakes, and add a few more playmakers to the mix, and you're on your way.

Point being, this season is something to build on (especially with the emergence of Alex Smith as a viable QB) and not just another potential losing season.

Yeah but there is a line there. Obviously not all teams continously grow. You run the risk of believing you are still progressing when in reality maybe the team is maxed out on potential. There is 3 directions we can head on, continue to progress, this team hits a wall or blow it up and try again.
Share 49ersWebzone