There are 208 users in the forums

Reasons why the 49ers ran so little in the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think I know the answer:

1. Seattle was playing their base 4-3 defense when facing 2 WR, and 2 TE (VD and Delanie) in the spread. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it didn't look like they were playing nickel. That defense made it favorable for the 49ers to pass the ball, which they did.
2. When Gore did run the ball, he wasn't being that successful. In the end, less than 3 yards a carry. Some of their trick run plays, though, were netting good yardage.

I would also like to note that in their last meeting, Gore was not that successful running the ball. Yes, he had those 2 long TD runs, but outside of that, he was getting minimal yardage. You can't sustain drives when you consistently are running for 1-2 yards, and you can't count on hitting on a 80 yard run each game.

I think the 49ers made the right call to pass the ball (although I was surprised that they didn't call at least a few more run plays to keep the defense honest). In the second half, the 49ers did try to run the ball more, mainly due to bad field position, and the end result was fewer points scored by the offense.
and
because Raye is an idiot?

The Colts run the ball more then us now, this man needs to understand BALANCE. You are gonna beat few teams, running the ball 10 times...

The funny part is, we weren't even down by more than one TD! The guy just didn't care what the score, what down it was, how many yards, he just wanted to f**king throw, pathetic.

Sing needs to get rid of this guy already.

[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Dec 7, 2009 at 08:55:13 ]
  • lod01
  • Veteran
Raye is a POS. His objective is to neutralize a team's best player.
We have sucked at running most of the year. The games we did well were primarily the rest of long runs by Gore.
Generally speaking, teams run to protect leads.

Since the Niners never had a significant lead to speak of, and since Gore wasn't breaking much more than 1-2 YPC why would you want to do more of what isn't working? (Even in the last meeting w/ SEA, Gore was only averaging ~2 YPC if you take back the two big runs . . . that kind of 'balance' isn't going to win any games)

The simple fact of the matter is that NFL rules are structured to emphasize the QB and passing game. Trying to run a ball control offense in a pass-heavy league is a formula for permanent also-ran status.

If the O-Line gets solidified before next season, the team will be in a position to do some serious damage. (Especially considering that 6 of the 7 losses have been by 7 points or less, meaning that each game was one play away from being a Win)
Originally posted by djutberg:
Generally speaking, teams run to protect leads.

Since the Niners never had a significant lead to speak of, and since Gore wasn't breaking much more than 1-2 YPC why would you want to do more of what isn't working? (Even in the last meeting w/ SEA, Gore was only averaging ~2 YPC if you take back the two big runs . . . that kind of 'balance' isn't going to win any games)

The simple fact of the matter is that NFL rules are structured to emphasize the QB and passing game. Trying to run a ball control offense in a pass-heavy league is a formula for permanent also-ran status.

If the O-Line gets solidified before next season, the team will be in a position to do some serious damage. (Especially considering that 6 of the 7 losses have been by 7 points or less, meaning that each game was one play away from being a Win)

Great post & completely agree!
Because the passing game puts points on the board! And because we cant run!

[ Edited by MadMartz on Dec 7, 2009 at 09:29:35 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by taney71:
We have sucked at running most of the year. The games we did well were primarily the rest of long runs by Gore.

hmmmmmmmmm The 49ers ran the ball quite well last year with the pass-crazed Mike Martz calling the plays. This year the team is worse, yet all the offensive blocking players are the same. Wonder why the difference.

Answer: see my post in the Jimmy Raye future thread.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
because Raye is an idiot?

The Colts run the ball more then us now, this man needs to understand BALANCE. You are gonna beat few teams, running the ball 10 times...

The funny part is, we weren't even down by more than one TD! The guy just didn't care what the score, what down it was, how many yards, he just wanted to f**king throw, pathetic.

Sing needs to get rid of this guy already.

yea, its like either all or nothing with ray. dude runs the ball till we lead the league in three and outs, then when he catches a little heat from sing, we end up trying to throw the ball like the saints or colts.

because we cant do it, PERIOD!
Is this one of those DUH questions? For the last couple of weeks all we've been reading is about the Shotgun Formation, the Spread Offense and throwing the ball!

This was going to be the offense of all offenses and Alex Smith was just going to stand behind this line and pass away like crazy and beat the pants out of every opponent.

Some were even calling for Singletary's head for NOT using it, but now that you got your wishes, you're questioning why?
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Raye is a moron. Does he look at statistics or just wake up from a nap and turn to a page in the playbook?
Share 49ersWebzone