LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Smith Did his Part/MBarrows& Now Tim K article

Shop Find 49ers gear online
310 yards with 9 drops....two drives in 4th quarter that were all you could hope for from your qb (enginerring what would have been, if completed, a 99 yard drive when gore fumbled, hitting davis for apparent go ahead score beofre ball was dropped)

on the niners last play, the long pass to morgan, it was a terrible call and i wish smith would have tucked the ball in and run for it, but i did notice in the nfl network replay (which showed the play from a differnent abgle than the fox telecast) that morgan pulled up on the pass, for whatever reason...the pass before that was also in my view a terrible call by jimmy raye, but smith mised an open hill (that was on him)

i think people overstate the case that niners have to make too big of an adjustment to the offense by running the shotgun because smith does better in that formation....he may simply have better pass blocking in that formation....notice how the sacks have gone down since niners went to the shotgun, even though they are passing more
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Please. You have got to be kidding me. We have completely customized the offense for Alex which in essence has traded our running game for a passing game with the end result still equaling a loss. Alex made a couple good throws during the game. Big deal. Am I supposed to get excited about that? He is in the NFL, he should be making those throws all game. WTF was that stupid pass he threw on our last offensive play? He had the first down wide open to Davis. I will say it again, Alex knows where he is throwing the pass before he hikes the ball. That is not how you play QB in the NFL. You have got to read the D. God why cant we just move on from Smith already.

When your teammates drop 10 passes what do you expect? Two of them being TD's

if they had caught them every AS hater would be on his nuts, he made the throws it's the players that f**ked it up

3 touchdown passes...

Delanie..
Vernon...
Crabtree...

There we go, I forgot Walkers TD

and thats the difference between us and the good teams, good teams make those catches, we just find way to f**k it up.

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Dec 7, 2009 at 08:22:45 ]
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"If the wrs don't drop his passes"

Well, if were gonna play that game we might as well wonder what if defensive backs don't drop gift interceptions that Smith has sent them nearly every week.

Smith must be getting better since now we're counting near interceptions.

Come on nflguy, this is a team sport....

-9fA
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
A major factor in the loss was the Niners going 1 for 13 on 3rd downs. Alex Smith was responsible for nearly all of those 3rd down failings.

Yes, hitting Crabtree in the helmit and Davis in the hands and facemask was very rude!

This.

I said Smith was responsible for NEARLY all of the 3rd down failures. The Davis drop wasn't on 3rd down. The Crabtree play was just one instance of the Niners failing to convert on 3rd down. The Niners were 1 for 13 on the day.

Well, if were gonna play that game we might as well wonder what if defensive backs don't drop gift interceptions that Smith has sent them nearly every week.

Some people around here won't be happy with anything Alex does. You're one of them.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
A major factor in the loss was the Niners going 1 for 13 on 3rd downs. Alex Smith was responsible for nearly all of those 3rd down failings.

Yes, hitting Crabtree in the helmit and Davis in the hands and facemask was very rude!

This.

I said Smith was responsible for NEARLY all of the 3rd down failures. The Davis drop wasn't on 3rd down. The Crabtree play was just one instance of the Niners failing to convert on 3rd down. The Niners were 1 for 13 on the day.

Holy crap..you cited the team and not a player. Mark the calendar.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Please. You have got to be kidding me. We have completely customized the offense for Alex which in essence has traded our running game for a passing game with the end result still equaling a loss. Alex made a couple good throws during the game. Big deal. Am I supposed to get excited about that? He is in the NFL, he should be making those throws all game. WTF was that stupid pass he threw on our last offensive play? He had the first down wide open to Davis. I will say it again, Alex knows where he is throwing the pass before he hikes the ball. That is not how you play QB in the NFL. You have got to read the D. God why cant we just move on from Smith already.

When your teammates drop 10 passes what do you expect? Two of them being TD's

if they had caught them every AS hater would be on his nuts, he made the throws it's the players that f**ked it up

Alex did everything he could to win this game, dropped passes for TDs hurt them, horrible special teams play(except Josh Morgan).

To me despite the drops the biggest thing that hurt the niners yesterday was Special teams play, the fumbled punt return and giving up a 21 yard return on our final punt was killer

Some people around here won't be happy with anything Alex does. You're one of them.

He was horrible on 3rd down against a s**tty 3rd rate defense. On the Niners final drive of the game Smith was just as erratic and inaccurate as ever before. Some people are calling this the best game of Smith's career. I think that's sad for Smith and this franchise.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

We should count passes his wrs drop but not the passes the opposing defense drops?

And if WR/TE's didn't tip balls to DBs...?

-9fA

We should count passes his wrs drop but not the passes the opposing defense drops?

What plays do you think had the bigger impact on the game? The one almost-int on 3rd down, or the 9 passes (incl. at least 2 TDs) dropped by our own players?

-9fA

-9fA

your argument is lame. even if you count dropped interceptions, the count would be 9 dropped passes, 3 dropped TD's, and 1 dropped INT at the very end of the game.

Get a clue and quit being a troll. Show me a QB who doesn't make a single mistake the entire game. You can't because they don't exist.

Open your eyes and look at how Smith is playing right now. Don't let your bias based on his first seasons influence you. If you are capable of looking at it with that perspective you will see that Smith has figured something out, and is finally turning into a good QB.
Nah, some of you need to accept reality. And reality is the entire NFL is noticing alex's progress. b***h all u want but the article was written witout bias for one player. Maybe when some can get their head out of their ass and see it's a Team game and no just alex.

Willy made 16 tackles but the d buckled when it mattered most. Like the article said which maybe some of you avoided.

Sing said for smith win the game for us. What does he do? Leads us down the field on 3 different occasions for the win, and hmmmm what happened, end zone drops by crabs, walker, and vd. Then gore fumbled.

Like some of u say no alexcuses, well no need for them today, but I don't want WR or TE excuses either.

Point is I don't know too many games of our past in which Dwight Clark dropped a td pass, and others on numerous games.

I have never seen Andre Johnson, boldin, fitzgerald, moss, welker, Gonzalez drop catchable balls or 2td passes for two straight weeks.

Make sure u look at the personnel before u crucify smith.

If anyone is gonna respond with a smart ass reply, just tell me the last time manning or Brady or ANY winning team had 10 drops(3 in the endzone for Td's), in one game.

Just like Sing said, championship teams don't make mistakes that kill our progressions throughout the entire game, like we do.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Call me crazy but I think Alex is starting to get it.

Crazy would be if you put this one on Smith.

He was horrible on 3rd down against a s**tty 3rd rate defense. On the Niners final drive of the game Smith was just as erratic and inaccurate as ever before. Some people are calling this the best game of Smith's career. I think that's sad for Smith and this franchise.

Didn't see anyone anointing Smith as a savior, but his play has been improving this year and he doesn't look as lost. The QB gets the blame most of the time and Smith has lived with a lot of negativity for years now. It may be time to admit he wasn't terrible in this game. I don't have the game on tape but if someone does would you post how many drops were on 3rd down?

The running game did not impress but with limited tries...
Share 49ersWebzone