LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Smith Did his Part/MBarrows& Now Tim K article

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
BEST. THREAD. EVER.

No doubt.

But I'll admit, although Alex has played fairly well of late, he still has yet to look like "the future" to me. I hope that he continues to improve and make his mark on the league. An Alex Smith-led Super Bowl run would be amazing.
Alex made a "couple of good throws"??? Are you kidding me? What game were you watching? The one I saw he was on the money...only a few errant throws. Does nine (9) drops ring a bell? Three of those were TD's...one to Walker (yes, he was mauled, but still should've caught it), and two to Vernon. ST's gave away the 1st Seattle TD, Gore's fumble set up the winning FG. The defense bears some of that burden, too, since when they HAD to stop Hasselbeck, they couldn't.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Alex made a "couple of good throws"??? Are you kidding me? What game were you watching? The one I saw he was on the money...only a few errant throws. Does nine (9) drops ring a bell? Three of those were TD's...one to Walker (yes, he was mauled, but still should've caught it), and two to Vernon. ST's gave away the 1st Seattle TD, Gore's fumble set up the winning FG. The defense bears some of that burden, too, since when they HAD to stop Hasselbeck, they couldn't.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2375390.html#mi_rss=49ers

He hit the nail right on the head IMO. LIke it or not.

Figured here's another.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/12/07/49ers-after-this-season-alex-smith-could-save-singletary-and-mccloughan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

Regardless if Alex did his part the team lost the game. Write about Alex improving I am ok with that. Write about how Alex flourished in a loss I am Ok with that. But blame game sounds stupid, team lost together writing the article in that way is pointless everyone knows the mistakes that happened during the game. The team lost therefore Alex was part of it.
Originally posted by tmg808:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
http://www.sacbee.com/sf49ers/story/2375390.html#mi_rss=49ers

He hit the nail right on the head IMO. LIke it or not.

Figured here's another.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/12/07/49ers-after-this-season-alex-smith-could-save-singletary-and-mccloughan/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

Regardless if Alex did his part the team lost the game. Write about Alex improving I am ok with that. Write about how Alex flourished in a loss I am Ok with that. But blame game sounds stupid, team lost together writing the article in that way is pointless everyone knows the mistakes that happened during the game. The team lost therefore Alex was part of it.

Wuz goin on new guy. Oh no doubt the team lost. But now, you have to adress what all played a part in the loss. Dont know if your a new or old zoner with a new name, but a lot in here knocked Smith about this, knocked him about that. He lost that game for us, put Davis in. All types of other s**t.

Us in the zone, will give and back our opinions to the day we die, however, when an article is written expressing the feelings from around the league, and an objective thought on why we loss, should be discussed. So dont take the articles as a copout praising smith was perfect and the rest of the team bad. However, after all the shots the kid takes, people (writers) finally point out that if anyone thinks that the reason we lost was soley because of smith, is quite wrong. You feel me.

So this is more of a thread saying, speak all the negative you want about the kid, and the games he's played, but only those with a large hate and personal bias are the ones bashing. Everyone else from around the league thinks Smith is well on his way.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Smith chokes on the final drive.

In a game decided by 3 pts do you think going 1 for 13 on 3rd down was a major factor in the loss?

Alex played a good game overall but sucked on 3rd downs and sucked on the most important series of the game.

You are saying the last possession of the game was more important then the three dropped touchdown passes? Well that is just about as ignorant statement as I have seen here recently. The game shouldn't have even come down to the last possession, we should have been up by at least a couple of touchdowns. This was a team loss, and you trying to pin it on the one player that looked like he cared, you just have poor judgment.

Actually Alex threw two of those passes too soon. The one to Davis required him to do a 180 in the air to attempt to catch it and it arrived just a second too soon for him to make the adjustment. It was still catchable but the ball was thrown too soon. The ball thrown to Crabtree was simply a bad read and throw. You do not have to throw the ball in double coverage while exposing your WR as he did. And the last serries was just pathetic. To suggest that the team failed him ignores the great cathes that were made when his throws were off, as well as the excellent protection he recieved. His throw to Hill was way off and the one to Morgan was inexcusable when Gore was open and Davis was open and he could have also ran for the three yards that was needed to keep the drive alive. All of those were his options, but instead chose to throw into tripple coverage. It's like passing on a lay-up and shooting a three pointer when you are only down by one.

He had his best game of his career and should be recognized for that, but he has already stated that he wished he could have had some of those throws back. If you stay in the league long enough you are bound to have a good game. But his inability to finish is what matters most and he has thus far measured short. QB's who have the "IT" factor can have bad games and win, but rarely have good games and lose.

What is most impressive about Alex is his willingness to learn and everyone who has complained about the offensive coaching fail to relaize that he would have never imporved without their coaching; nor would VD have broken a team record during the same year that Gore broke an NFL record. alex now must learn to lead.
Share 49ersWebzone