LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 433 users in the forums

Only 9 Carries?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Yes the fumble was his fault and it very much did cost us the game. If you're going to fight for extra yards a least make sure no one can pop the bll out while you're trying to do that. That was an inexcusable play from a veteran like gore in a critical point in the game. He's coughed it up waaay too many times in the 4th quarter during his career here. At the very least a 6 point swing.

Let's give a little credit to the defensive player that caused the fumble too and not crucify Gore. Clements is/was known for punching the ball out.
We don't have the horses to run the ball that much. The OL is just not very good at all.

The other thing is that we do NOT run zone blocking when every other of the 31 teams does. It's actually astounding that they don't considering that aside from Power, Zone running plays are the most used and popular in the NFL.

It's stupid really.
This coaching staff is weird. There is no balance to the attack. Redzone opportunity, we are going for it. WHy not pound the rock a few times before.
  • CalgaryNiner
  • Info N/A
I've always thought the "when gets 20+ carries, the wins most of the time" argument a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg argument. Usually, when a team is ahead and running out the clock, they feed the running back - hence the high carry totals.

Anyways, I think Gore is really losing confidence in his o-line. Maybe it's just me but he is looking way more hesitant hitting the line than he used to. He is running like he has no faith there's going to be a hole - usually because there isn't a hole. Let's face it, aside from the handful of big runs our running game might just be the worst in the league this year. The long runs are great but they hardly make a reliable, ball control running attack when all the other runs are 2 yards or less.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Seattle was playing their base defense when we had our 2 WR/2 TE personnel on the field. That made them vulnerable to the pass, which is what we did. I do wish the 49ers had called runs inside the final 2 minutes of both halves, though. We had poor field position, and little time on the clock. Running the ball would have at least forced Seattle to use their time outs.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Everybody wants Alex to air the ball out

Now everybody is b***hing that we don't run enough

Make up your mind people

I don't think anyone stated that they want to pass the ball at a 5-1 ratio.

Nobody was b***hing about it when we played Jacksonville and won

That's a fair point, but we didn't rush for 200 yards rushing against Jax earlier in the season. Plenty of people here asked us to go back to Gore before the game.

Make up your mind people

I don't think anyone stated that they want to pass the ball at a 5-1 ratio.

Nobody was b***hing about it when we played Jacksonville and won

That's a fair point, but we didn't rush for 200 yards rushing against Jax earlier in the season. Plenty of people here asked us to go back to Gore before the game.

Very true, we did move the ball pretty good (spread) against Sea......we just didn't finish
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
and he still fumbled
Whats the point of running him 20+ times if our oline cant even make any holes for him and he averages 2 YPC
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Make up your mind people

The board isn't one giant organism.

or is it

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!

YOU WANT THE SPREAD

THEN YOU WANT MORE RUNS

F*CK

THERE ARE ONLY SO MANY REPS YOU CAN TAKE IN A WEEK!

BATTLE LOST US THE GAME

STOP WHINING!
The problem is not only on Gore, part of the problem is the fact that our O-line has not been blocking well. Gore had three runs in a row in the 3rd quarter which resulted in what 3 yards? Granted they knew he was coming but on the 2nd attempt he had a lane to the left but he just ran right into the back of his blockers. I don’t know if it is a lack of confidence or too much confidence in his O-line but he looked lost when running the ball yesterday. He had two times that he tackled himself after a reception. I believe that he is good but yesterday was not a good game for him in any aspect.
  • ZRF80
I guess Steve Young was right after all. He said "trade Gore now", and everyone jumped on his throat for saying that. But he knew that Gore could not excel in the spread. Now, it's not like he got any opportunities too either. But then again, I remember watching the "greatest show on turf" with the Rams in the early 00s, and Marshall Faulk took full advantage of the opportunities given to him, both as a RB and WR. Gore doesnt do that in the spread....
Gore has been averaging 160 yards a game when facing the Seacocks. For him not to be involved in the game plan falls fully on the HC shoulders.

Yes I think Niners should open things up and I am a Major supporter of the spread offense, but when Gore has been putting up 160 yards a game over the last I think 12 meetings, and you come out and pass 21 of the first 24 plays, That tells me Singletary is not a HC is capable of game planning and appears to be so easily maniplulated by the media/fans that he throws conventional wisdom out the window.

Gore maybe losing a step as he doesn't seem to be the premier threat he once was but he still demonstrates he can take 1 to the house on any given play.

Singletary is not the answer for this organization, I have been patient and waited for him to "show me" all I see is 5-7 record and another year of heart ache and disappointment

[ Edited by 9erfreak on Dec 7, 2009 at 12:39:03 ]
It's hard to give him the ball when he coughs it up and when he only gets 2 YPC. Running the ball over and over again when that happens kills drives and consistently puts you in 3rd and 7+. You need to be able to run the ball but it's hard to do when your running back runs straight up the back of his blockers all game long and misses the hole. He had holes yesterday, and some of his handoffs did come from under center, and you could see he ran right up the back of the OL while the hole was to his left or right.
Share 49ersWebzone