There are 161 users in the forums

Do we want a new head coach? And if so, who?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we want a new head coach? And if so, who?

• Arnazbattle4life
  • Info N/A
What is up with everyone wanting to get rid of sing after the first year .... if we get a new coach he is gona want to bring in his own coordinators and system which would mean another rebuilding year ... Give sing more time this is the first Time in a long time that in week 13 we were still thinking playoffs... So everyone chill out about hiring a new head coach ...
I am really torn after last weeks game. If the refs make two pass interference calls we probably win by double digits. But game management seem very poor all year. I just don't know if Sing is a head coach in the pros. I think he would make a GREAT college coach. He is very passionate and could sell his program to any recruit and his parents and has name recognition. I hate to lost out on Cower or Grudnen just to see what might happen next year.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I would like to see what other fans think about Singletary and the possibility of hiring another head coach.

I like Singletary, but I do not think he has what it takes to be a head coach.

My vote is to hire Gruden. He is still very young and obviously passionate about the game. He is an offensive minded coach. Also, he was rumored to have wanted Alex Smith when we drafted him. I would like to see what Gruden can do with Alex.

Holmgren - brought Seattle back to respectability but could never take them to the next step. Plus, he wanted out of coaching and more front office.

Shanahan - Has never done anything without John Elway. And Once Gary Kubiak left the team totally fell apart.

Gruden - Gruden rebuilt the Raiders, but in Tampa he won with Dungy's team. Although he deserves another shot at HC.

Cowher- Great coach but even he had bad seasons. 1 bad season from him and the webzone would be crazy again. His greatest asset was the stable ownership.

In the end I think we have had too much change lately and this team is closer to being good than ever before. We are still developing an offense that works on all cylinders. We need at least 2 seasons with the same coordinators and coaches.

I also think Singletary can be a great coach but I think he could use some leadership as well. I would rather see Holmgren or another older coach like Dennis Green come into a front office role that oversees everything. Someone who has been there and done that to work with Sing to help with things he doesn't have much experience in (like time management).

I just think we have what it takes to win, we just need a little guidance.
This is basically Sing's rookie season...some fans are unreal! Give the guy time we are way better off than we've been in YEARS!
I'm going to quote Alex Smith here. "The strength of this team is we stay together." We need to keep as much of this crew together as we can. We're only missing a few player pieces on this team as far as I'm concerned. I also feel that this team is capable of winning now. The real thing missing is just confidence and experience and that should come with time. That being said this team needs to finish strong in our final games. It's time to stop rebuilding and start retooling and improving.
Originally posted by winner21:
This is basically Sing's rookie season...some fans are unreal! Give the guy time we are way better off than we've been in YEARS!

I have to agree. Have people forgotten that we were going nowhere with Nolan at the helm? Granted, Nolan might have been a better game manager than Singletary, but Sing's a rook, and during the off season, he'll have lots of time to reflect on what he could have done better during gametime situations.

Please name a player you could credit Nolan with developing? Not too many players have flourished with Nolan at the helm. Even though Sing has his flops as a gameday decision-maker, the progress is evident with the development of key players such as VD, Smith, and Crabtree.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
I think he gets at least one more year but has to show improvement in terms of game management. At times thsi season its been questionable whether he learned anything from the Arizona MNF debacle last year.

As a side note its funny how things can change so quickly. Remember when Nolan had the whole suit thing going on, fans where stoked full of enthusiasm with him as HC and for the team, everyone wearing suits to the 2007 MNF opener, then a few months later everyone calling for his head.

I wonder if i'm seeing the same thing with Sing, after all the optimism after the initial results, motivational speeches and commercials 'I want winners" etc...???

[ Edited by Stuuk on Dec 8, 2009 at 09:40:08 ]
At least Sing is wise enough to know when things need to be changed. Nolan's complete rigidness was sickening.
Singletary should be and IS the head coach of this team. Dump Jimmy Raye and hire Holmgren as the new OC.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by winner21:

I have to agree. Have people forgotten that we were going nowhere with Nolan at the helm? Granted, Nolan might have been a better game manager than Singletary, but Sing's a rook, and during the off season, he'll have lots of time to reflect on what he could have done better during gametime situations.

Please name a player you could credit Nolan with developing? Not too many players have flourished with Nolan at the helm. Even though Sing has his flops as a gameday decision-maker, the progress is evident with the development of key players such as VD, Smith, and Crabtree.

Lawson has also come a long way this year.

this organization does not have the balls to fire Singletary after just one season. If Bill Walsh rose from the grave and said he wanted to be the niners coach, he'd get denied.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He gets one more year for sure.

If the 49ers don't make the playoffs in 2010, expect Alex Smith, Mike Singletary, and Scot McCloughan to be unemployed.
  • GilleysPuB
  • Info N/A
What we need is Weis as our OC, his offenses score points. I know we've had to many changes in that spot but Jimmy Ray can't be ignoring Gore like that.
I'm glad you guys have such great football knowledge, and can critique this guy after not even a full year. You guys should apply to the Niners front office; Especially SanDiego49er, this guy will be GM, VP of Football Operations, and coach every position on the field.
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Shanny = WCO = new system + complete start over = more rebuilding. How about this: Let's not change a damn thing for f**king once in the off season save for our draft picks and some key FA acquisitions to bolster our running back, tackle, secondary and pass rush deficiencies. We have some kick-ass TE's and I like Crabtree, Morgan and Hill as our WR future and I am definitely okay with Alex Smith as our starter at QB for the next while.

And let's not forget that Walsh was 2-14 in his first year, and 6-10 his second year.
Share 49ersWebzone