LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Do we want a new head coach? And if so, who?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we want a new head coach? And if so, who?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I would like to see what other fans think about Singletary and the possibility of hiring another head coach.

I like Singletary, but I do not think he has what it takes to be a head coach.

My vote is to hire Gruden. He is still very young and obviously passionate about the game. He is an offensive minded coach. Also, he was rumored to have wanted Alex Smith when we drafted him. I would like to see what Gruden can do with Alex.

Gruden won't be on the market until 2011, but he's a perfect fit -- he plans on running a spread offense when he re-enters coaching. That gives Sing & crew 2010 to win or they're done.

I didn't know Gruden wasn't available. I heard rumors of him going to coach the college ranks. So is he still under contract with the Bucs, or is it his media contract?
Sing has really disappointed me as a game manager and his clock management/TO/challenges are reminiscent of Nolan. I like him personally and love what he's done for Vernon, as well as his willingness to bench guys when they suck, but he seems lost out there. That said, I would only get rid of him for Holmgren or Shanahan. They've got history here and are very good coaches in their own respect. Shanahan would be my preferred choice, as he ran essentially the same offense with Cutler as we do now with Smith.
Seriously guys, this knee jerk reactionary crap is getting old. You think a rookie coach is going to turn around a team in one season with little roster improvement over last year. It makes me wonder if any of you actually understand football at all. Singletary has made some rookie mistakes, but he has been learning on the fly. Some of you guys have totally unrealistic expectations and absolutely no patience.
I want Shanahan. His offense closest thing to 'spread' and 'westcoast'

Spreadcoast

But chances are pretty good they will stick with SingRaye another year.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think we need to keep the coach and most of the team together. Upgrade the OL and SS/FS positions, get a KR/PR and a change of pace back and we should be set. Draft Golden Tate, he can fill 3 or 4 needs (KR/PR, Change of pace RB, Slot WR).
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Sing is a rookie head coach so I'll give him a year. Raye on the other hand.....

We need to bring in an OC that can utilize our growing & maturing talent on offense.
I would not mind one of those guys as GM
Every time I need a good laugh I just log onto Niner Talk. Thanks Niner Talk!
Originally posted by Nes49:
Sing is a rookie head coach so I'll give him a year. Raye on the other hand.....

We need to bring in an OC that can utilize our growing & maturing talent on offense.

This ownership will let the head coach select his own crew. Our head coach Mike Singletary has assured the ownership and senior management that he is standing by coach Raye for the good job he has been doing and for continuity.

As for coach Singletary, the ownership is satisfied with the value we are getting. The senior management is recommending contract extension for Singletary to lock him in.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I'm alright with Singletary.

But Raye needs to go period. Gore or Alex needs to go.

Either we go with a more balanced OC who can actually call run plays and still call pass plays, keep Gore and get a well rounded QB who can actually play under center.

or

Go with Martz or Weiss. Keep Alex and get rid of Gore for a more single back kind of runner.

I'm actually leaning towards bringing back Martz or going after Weiss and keeping Smith and dumping Gore. Even though Gore's my dude.

• Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jed_york:

This ownership will let the head coach select his own crew. Our head coach Mike Singletary has assured the ownership and senior management that he is standing by coach Raye for the good job he has been doing and for continuity.

As for coach Singletary, the ownership is satisfied with the value we are getting. The senior management is recommending contract extension for Singletary to lock him in.

I know ur trying to be funny....but don't
Originally posted by jed_york:

I know ur trying to be funny....but don't

Which one is funny?

-The ownership shouldn't order the head coach to change his staffs? or
-Our head coach Singletary deserves three years?

Learning to be HC takes at least one year for fast learners, another two years to use what was learned in the first year sounded fair.
sing isn't the one who chokes the game away, the players are. who drops passes & tds' or fumbling. the players are. coach sign is a winner(maybe as a player but still). there's a saying(if i'm right), you can lead a horse to water but you can't make'em drink it. coach sign can show them how to be great players but it's up to them to be great players. coach sing is a ROOKIE. give'em a chance. He brung a physicalness to the team that i haven't seen in a while. this is a young team with a young coach. teams & coaches just don't gel together. it takes time. try giving it some & you haters might be surprise. i said it once & i'll say it again, GO NINERS!!! taking the positive of 09'(& there are positives, HATERS!!!!) & experience into the 2010 season.
There are simply too many coaches out there that wants back in that is far superior than Sing. IMHO is that we can't pass on a proven coach for a "What if"/"wait till next year" coach. Nothing against Sing except for being raw and inexperience. Sing's biggest mistake was hiring Raye and from day one, many fans didn't like that choice. Something's gotta go. Only way I can see Sing stay is if he gets a REAL OC. The O line coach should be first to go along with Raye.

If I own a business and have to chance to hire a very experience person to run my business or keep a guy who is currently ok on the job. The answer is a very easy one...I hire the experience person to take my business to the next level. I can't afford the "what if". In the end, it's a business transaction. You take the most experience guy who has the most potential to take you to the next level.

With that said, I would take Dungy overall. Atleast he didn't flame out or overstayed to the point where his team was rotting away.

[ Edited by sacleads on Dec 8, 2009 at 09:00:31 ]
If York is chicken to fire Sing, then the way out is to fire Raye and get a real OC who is independent from Sing...

Oh, hell, just get rid of Sing now and move on. Get someone imaginative who can run an NFL spread with some new ideas. Sing could coach at Baltimore or the Bears. He would get more support from the fans there. I think the Bay Area really is more supportive of a modern system.
Share 49ersWebzone