LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Do we want a new head coach? And if so, who?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we want a new head coach? And if so, who?

If they move Sing, I want Shanahan. He can coach and build a team.
I think if you can get Shannahan as the HC and Holmgren as the team president then you do that. In that scenario McCloughin (who has a good relationship with Holmgren) would stay GM, but would have to answer to Holmgren. I think that would work well because McCloughin is pretty good, but sometimes he needs someone to tell him things like, "no seriously, you have to draft OL and pass rushers now!"

Shannahan is the only coach I'd want over what we have. I think our coaching staff is not good at getting players prepared or managing the game, but I'm ok with giving them another season to improve those things. Unless we can get Shannahan and Holmgren.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by Axl49:
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
The team is fine. RELAX! Jesus Christ! Shanahan??? Are you kidding me?

THANK U if anything Shanahan as OC but he wont take that job anyway. relax people god its one season give him a break. Again what if we got rid of Walsh after his first lackluster season?????

Offer Shanahan as QB coach and assist HC. No reason why Shanahan wouldn't take it, when he can learn the art of motivation being close to Singletary.

I sure it would be a real honor to work under a guy that couldn't teach him a damn thing about football.
Shanny = WCO = new system + complete start over = more rebuilding. How about this: Let's not change a damn thing for f**king once in the off season save for our draft picks and some key FA acquisitions to bolster our running back, tackle, secondary and pass rush deficiencies. We have some kick-ass TE's and I like Crabtree, Morgan and Hill as our WR future and I am definitely okay with Alex Smith as our starter at QB for the next while.
Originally posted by AKfanster:

No, the team is NOT fine. This team continues to find ways to LOSE and it all starts with the coaching staff.

This team is better than it has been in years and THAT is also a credit to the coaching staff. Give them ALL TIME to gel. God, what is it with NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW? So many people have lost touch with reality.

Thank you!
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Shanny = WCO = new system + complete start over = more rebuilding. How about this: Let's not change a damn thing for f**king once in the off season save for our draft picks and some key FA acquisitions to bolster our running back, tackle, secondary and pass rush deficiencies. We have some kick-ass TE's and I like Crabtree, Morgan and Hill as our WR future and I am definitely okay with Alex Smith as our starter at QB for the next while.

[ Edited by posterX on Dec 6, 2009 at 23:55:04 ]
Shannahan is our guy. Singletary has completely convinced me we can never win with him. His teams are always unprepared, make the mental errors, and his game management and time management is probably the worst in the league. I can't think of a worse coach at that.
Originally posted by Axl49:

THANK U if anything Shanahan as OC but he wont take that job anyway. relax people god its one season give him a break. Again what if we got rid of Walsh after his first lackluster season?????

THANK YOU. walsh had a worse 1st season than this one. its all these overreacting fans who wouldve had him fired too.

shanahan is SO overrated. if we hired a coach from that list, it should be Cowher by a MILE. but we are sticking with Sing, whether you guys like it or not, and its the right move.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 7, 2009 at 00:16:20 ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Shannahan is our guy. Singletary has completely convinced me we can never win with him. His teams are always unprepared, make the mental errors, and his game management and time management is probably the worst in the league. I can't think of a worse coach at that.

being a Chargers fan, youve probably seen alot of Shanahan out in the AFC West huh?

please, you know if he came here, you criticize his stubborn personnel and playcalling habits, and his desire for ultimate power over the organization. hed be a disaster here. he doesnt fit this team anymore.
Let me just say this. Sing may be work out fine. That said, the reason the Niners needed Sing was because we did not have a legitimate threat at QB. We needed to win games the hard way. Those days are over. Smith is going to be very good for the next several years, so yes, the Niners could use a more offensive-minded coach.

One big problem...the coaches listed tend to like the West Coast offense. Does not mean they cannot adjust, but but does anyone here really want to risk tinkering with a good thing (Alex Smith right now). I don't. In my mind, Sing just bought himself another year based on the fact that he got Smith to become a real QB and was willing to change his offense to fit Alex. A lot of coaches will not do that.

Keep Sing and let this very talented team mature (including Sing). They are on there way. The future is finally, now.

And what kind of team did Shanahan build in the many years without John Elway?
Singletary is still very green but with time i think he'll be fine. He needs to surround himself with more experienced group of staffs. Perhaps bring in a Football Czar like a B.Parcel in Miami.
Originally posted by posterX:
Originally posted by TDilvr:
Shanny = WCO = new system = complete start over = more rebuilding. How about this: Let's not change a damn thing for f**king once in the off season save for our draft picks and some key FA acquisitions to bolster our running back, tackle, secondary and pass rush deficiencies. We have some kick-ass TE's and I like Crabtree, Morgan and Hill as our WR future and I am definitely okay with Alex Smith as our starter at QB for the next while.

javascript:qdS('');
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
I would like to see what other fans think about Singletary and the possibility of hiring another head coach.

I like Singletary, but I do not think he has what it takes to be a head coach.

My vote is to hire Gruden. He is still very young and obviously passionate about the game. He is an offensive minded coach. Also, he was rumored to have wanted Alex Smith when we drafted him. I would like to see what Gruden can do with Alex.

Gruden won't be on the market until 2011, but he's a perfect fit -- he plans on running a spread offense when he re-enters coaching. That gives Sing & crew 2010 to win or they're done.
  • BobS
  • Veteran

Agreed, Singletary has already proven motivational skills only account for so much, and that is all he has. His college rah, rah crap got a 2-5 team to finish 5-4, that showed his speeches were worth something. Now he was able to implement his coaching methods from training camp and the result is 5-7. Oddly enough certain players are playing better, but it is not translating in to wins. On field talent and skills are up, results are down. I believe that is the result of being out coached on Sunday, poor coaching decisions created a 13 point swing toward Seattle,
and we lost by 3. This coach needs to go, as for a replacement, anyone with a proven track record will be fine with me.

[ Edited by BobS on Dec 7, 2009 at 10:45:04 ]
Share 49ersWebzone