LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 144 users in the forums

Jimmy Rays Future

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Jimmy Rays Future

Maybe Jimmy could get Sherm Lewis' old job calling bingo numbers in Detroit.

The sad part is that I think Lewis called a better game for Washington than Raye did for us.

Which brings a facetious question. Why didn't we hire him as OC? At least he was a coach for the Niners in the 80's during the organization's glory years and was widely regarded as a head coaching candidate before the Rooney rule was implemented.
Originally posted by goldthumb68:
I honestly dont think Jimmy either knows or remembers how to close out games.He's got no balls and relys on the defense too much and has been mediocre his whole career i know we dropped some passes today but some of his calls these past few games are ridiculous he is holding us back.He doesnt go for the kill and I think he will be fired at the end of the year.I just dont know who will replace him.Your thoughts pls.

I think you got it all wrong. The problem isn't that he has no "balls", the problem is he just doesn't have a feel for the game. It's clear the guy has some good plays in his playbook, he just doesn't know when to use them an in what order.

How in the world do we not run the clock in the final drive pinned against our own endzone? I'm not saying you dont take a shot at passing, but you give it 1 try not three. Not to mention the fact that they were very low percentage passes.

Furthermore, what about balance. I like the rest of us was all for the spread, but give me a break. We completely abandoned the run game. I dont know, but I dont think Sing is responsible for that.

Raye reminds me of a twighlight zone genie. You make a wish, you get the wish, but its an extreme/negative realization of that wish. Its like saying, "I wish I had a room full of gold and then you get it, but the genie leaves you in the room to be crushed under the wieght."

Ok, I know I took it a little far with my example...
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:
If Singletary stays, then Raye stays.

Raye has finally utilized Vernon Davis correctly and has brought Crabtree nicely along. He's also saved Alex Smith's career.

If we can make excuses about the O-line for Turner and Martz, why can't it be the same for Raye? Once we get interior linemen that can run block, we'll have a more balanced attack.

I agree completely!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by Luca:

Raye has finally utilized Vernon Davis correctly and has brought Crabtree nicely along. He's also saved Alex Smith's career.

If we can make excuses about the O-line for Turner and Martz, why can't it be the same for Raye? Once we get interior linemen that can run block, we'll have a more balanced attack.

I agree completely!!!
Except that this same line blocked well enough for Gore to have a much better season last year under Martz' blocking schemes than this year under Raye.

Raye hardly gets credit for "bringing Crabtree along." Crabtree had two weeks of practice and then jumped right into the game. That is hardly a credit to Raye. Even IF we were to credit Raye with that, why hasn't he had the same effect on Jason Hill if he is so good at bringing receivers along.

As to Davis, he is still running inconsistent routes, not making good hot reads and still jumping the count. Yes, he has put him in places where he can make some catches but VD is still far from a polished TE.

Raye has taken this offense into a closet with very little room to maneuver. Putting Smith in the shotgun is not some genius stroke, it is just the recognition that the OL can't defend his scheme. So...change the scheme to fit the talent you have...THAT is what a good coach does.
Well Singletary dodged the question as he should because it's not appropriate to throw Raye or any employee under the bus at this time. But then again, he did dodge the question and we all KNOW what that means: I sure has hell doesn't mean Jimmy Raye is 100% the OC for next year.

When the 49ers hired Raye in January, they also hired Johnson as quarterbacks coach. The thinking then was that Johnson eventually would replace Raye as offensive coordinator. Asked if that were still the long-term plan, Singletary said, "You know, I want to talk about the short-term plan right now and stay focused on that before I talk about long term."
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Well Singletary dodged the question as he should because it's not appropriate to throw Raye or any employee under the bus at this time. But then again, he did dodge the question and we all KNOW what that means: I sure has hell doesn't mean Jimmy Raye is 100% the OC for next year.

When the 49ers hired Raye in January, they also hired Johnson as quarterbacks coach. The thinking then was that Johnson eventually would replace Raye as offensive coordinator. Asked if that were still the long-term plan, Singletary said, "You know, I want to talk about the short-term plan right now and stay focused on that before I talk about long term."

Singletary is not an offensive genius but he did play enough defense to realize what Raye is calling, especially in the running game, would not be too hard to stop. I believe someone of Singletary's character would never throw Raye under the bus. However, when the HC keeps getting hit with the same very obvious questions from the press, and fans are complaining, it sets in his mind that changes must be made at some point in the future.

We all know Raye was not the first choice, and now we also know why.
Originally posted by horsecore:

This is an excellent post - consistency will go a long way for this team and it is nice to see players being utilized. If the offense continues to play the way it has the last few weeks it will be interesting to see what an off-season practicing this type of offense produces in '09.

Agree is the first time since Mooch times that a OC uses his strenghts trying to do something

The bad part about Raye is the lack of balance first we were an conservative run heavily team, now we're a heavy pass offense the only thing that prevails is we still can't run the ball (besides Gore's long runs we're less than 3 yards per carry)

We must learn how to run, we looked like early nineties KC chiefs with Okoye and Word running without imagination between the tacles but....neither of those are on our team.

Now we look like Texas U.... Against Nebraska :(

Hope you're right and with another offseason we could work something
I predicted last year that Raye would retire after 1 season. I am going to stick with that prediction.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
I predicted last year that Raye would retire after 1 season. I am going to stick with that prediction.

I'm good with that
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
We have no choice. Since it takes Alex a very long time to learn a new offense, we are stuck with Raye.

wow, can you say anything nice about Alex.

Seriosuly, anyone will have a hard time learning a new offense, no one catches on right away.

Yeah it took Crabtree 2 weeks

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
We have no choice. Since it takes Alex a very long time to learn a new offense, we are stuck with Raye.

wow, can you say anything nice about Alex.

Seriosuly, anyone will have a hard time learning a new offense, no one catches on right away.

Yeah it took Crabtree 2 weeks

A WR's role in an offense is a lot different than a QB's role...

-9fA
i'm not saying he's the stuff but his playcalling isn't dat bad. raye isn't dropping tds', fumbling the ball, over or under throwing targets. people complain bout being creative, but he's plays create points. i read earlier that VD, crabs, & d. walk(the refs f'd that call up) dropped touchdowns(which is 21 pts more on the board) & gore fumbling in the redzone(which could've been a possible td). we've had worse OCs'. instead of hating on his non creativeness, give him credit for getting it done without thinking hard. having a suspect line, no chemistry, figuring who fits the system the best, players still coming into their own. image the calls after a season under the belt, knowledge of how to use his players better, & hopefully they TRULY address the line situation, ooh ya one of the most important things for a team continuity. again i could be wrong & he could regress backwards but well never no unless he gets another shot & i think it's worth atleast one more. hopefully him & sing will talk about situation playcalling during the offseason too. GO NINERS!!! taking the positives of 09' & experience into 2010 season.
I'd still like to see Mike Johnson given a chance as OC to see what type of plays he'd call. Think he'd do a better job then Raye at sequencing plays. We rarely do this at all. At least he did it once (a reverse with Delanie, and then a little while longer a double reverse with Morgan). He doesn't do it at all with the run game, which annoys me. We did one I-Form toss to the right, and Gore made an easy 4 or 5 yards on the play. No idea why we didn't do it again, or try some more misdirection plays. :(
Share 49ersWebzone