LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

How we can improve the running game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Other than a few breakaway runs, the running game has been awful...

I believe we can improve this by

1) Better OL (goes without saying)
2) Run Frank Gore wide - Gore always runs between the tackles this why all of our oppenents run blitz right up the middle.... = Most of the time, runs inside are for minimal gain, if any
3) Moran Norris is useless, get a versatile fullback ala Tom Ratham ---
a) He is not a threat to run (defenses know that he wont get the ball - if he does, he wont beat you )
b) He is not a threat in the passing game (You can basically ignore him, he is not going to get the ball.
c) He is not even a threat in the screen pass
d) Not even a threat for the swing pass

Basically 2 back backfield is not going to scare anyone and is very predictable --- run up the middle

We need a fullback that can make some plays in bought the run and the pass...

You guys who have seen Tom Rathman or Roger Craig (when he was a full back) know what I'm talking about.
Very simple

New LG and RT

New Line Coach

No injuries
Originally posted by jreff22:
Very simple

New LG and RT

New Line Coach

No injuries

This
We DO NOT run zone blocking schmes, which is absolutely astounding to me considering that every other team in the NFL does. This and the OL are the two biggest problems.

Besides power, inside zone and outside zone are the two most popular running plays in the NFL and can be run from any formation.

Once again, we DO NOT run these plays. Why? I have no f**king idea. Maybe it's part personnel. Our OL are not very athletic. But I think this is a big oversight by the coaching staff in the season.

[ Edited by Schulzy on Dec 6, 2009 at 19:42:46 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Very simple

New LG and RT

New Line Coach

No injuries

You can forget about quality OGs because our GM doesn't believe in paying them.

Your posts about McCloughan in every thread are borderline spam.

One would think that he personally hurt you or slept with your wife.

-9fA
We can't improve the running game, that is why we are now a spread offense. It took half the season before our stubborn, pig headed coach and his minions figured it out.
I think OL injuries and the resulting personnel shuffling have not allowed the unit to develop the chemistry necessary to be successful in run blocking. In addition, this group may not be talented enough.
8 less passes and 8 more runs!
My insight, better talent better coach.

Chilo needs to sit be a backup and time to develop further. He had no business on the field this year. Snyder is a backup also. I think we can do better than Bass. A solid FA pickup and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick should help.
Replace Bass, hope Rachal pans out and replace Snyder.

Guys just have to be more motivated,
Share 49ersWebzone