LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 385 users in the forums

Alex Smith 300 YDS Passing = Loss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It's not why we lost. Come on man. When guys have touchdowns right in their hands their job is to catch them.

There were far too many drops, but in this game you have to go to the next play and forget about the last one. Just cuzz your receiver drops a ball, it cant affect your logic for the remainder of the game.
The TV analyst (don't recall his name) said he counted at least 9 drops in the game...two should've been Vernon TD's. Alex put it on the money all day and that was his reward. Defense should've had multiple sacks and couldn't get to Hasselbeck in crunch time...this was just another example that this team is still a pretender, not a contender. Don't get me started on the gifts we gave Seattle...
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The TV analyst (don't recall his name) said he counted at least 9 drops in the game...two should've been Vernon TD's. Alex put it on the money all day and that was his reward. Defense should've had multiple sacks and couldn't get to Hasselbeck in crunch time...this was just another example that this team is still a pretender, not a contender. Don't get me started on the gifts we gave Seattle...

Smith is the best offensive player on this team right now, bar none.
Had to love Alex Smith's effort on that fumble return. He stood up the DB and tried to strip him, that shows some heart.
Originally posted by asakkings:
Had to love Alex Smith's effort on that fumble return. He stood up the DB and tried to strip him, that shows some heart.

yea, that was great. I was hoping for a Meachem-esque play there.
Originally posted by quatic:
Alex Smith chalked it up 45 times...but Gore only had 9 rushing attempts?!....9!

if Gore only gets 9 rushing attempts....and he's our best weapon next to VD and Crabby....our chances of winning does not look good!

Gore also has the ability to put the team on his back and carry them to a win. Since his rookie season in 2005, the 49ers are 15-2 when Gore has 20-or-more carries and 13-4 when he breaks the 100-yard plateau.
In Sundays game, Gore only had 9 carries.
I am glad Alex finally got over this hump. I know it really doesn't mean much but at least he will not have this headline following him around anymore. Alex played well again yesterday. He is probably playing his way into 2010 with Nate as a decent backup. I was glad to see Alex able to move the offense when the running game really wasn't doing too much, by design or by something raye was seeing.
Originally posted by prime21:
It's not why we lost. Come on man. When guys have touchdowns right in their hands their job is to catch them.

There were far too many drops, but in this game you have to go to the next play and forget about the last one. Just cuzz your receiver drops a ball, it cant affect your logic for the remainder of the game.

And it didn't for Smith. He threw a TD pass to VD which was dropped and on the very next play threw a TD pass to Crabs which the kid pulled a Lloyd on.
Originally posted by fister30:
I am glad Alex finally got over this hump. I know it really doesn't mean much but at least he will not have this headline following him around anymore. Alex played well again yesterday. He is probably playing his way into 2010 with Nate as a decent backup. I was glad to see Alex able to move the offense when the running game really wasn't doing too much, by design or by something raye was seeing.

What is this talk about Nate Davis being a decent backup? There is little evidence that Davis should be our primary backup next year. I would be much more confident if we kept Hill or got a FA veteran QB.
Originally posted by taney71:

And it didn't for Smith. He threw a TD pass to VD which was dropped and on the very next play threw a TD pass to Crabs which the kid pulled a Lloyd on.

And on the next possession?

What is this talk about Nate Davis being a decent backup? There is little evidence that Davis should be our primary backup next year. I would be much more confident if we kept Hill or got a FA veteran QB.

This is more of a comment about Alex starting next year with Davis or whoever at the 2 spot. Why not Davis at the 2 spot? He would get more reps with actual WR's. I think I read an article about Davis playing postitions on the scout team right now.

[ Edited by fister30 on Dec 7, 2009 at 05:28:59 ]

I believe that was the 3rd down so no dice for the offense if the receivers fail two times in a row.

Also, don't forget about the 4th down drop by Walker. Sure there was pass interference but Walker could have made the play. Not much Smith can do besides throwing it to himself and making the TD grab.
  • DaNiners
  • Info N/A
I never thought I would see it but alex Smith showed yesterday that he has the makings of a franchise QB. Obviously, too many drops, but a few things which we need to keep in mind. First, we are no longer a young team without a QB and unable to know exactly what we have. We are now a young team making yound mistakes (ie dropped balls). This team is simply not as good as the Cardinals right now. They will be next year. They are going to get two impact rookies in the first round next year, Smith will have the offense tooled to him and the team will decide what to do with Gore (in truth, Gore is a between the tackles running back and the spread IS our future...figure the math). To be honest, even with the loss this is the most optimistic I have been in ten years. Seriously, we have the makings of a great, great team. Now, Sing just needs to learn how to coach.

My God, I actually created a post that didn't pray we had a QB. Fantastic!

This is more of a comment about Alex starting next year with Davis or whoever at the 2 spot. Why not Davis at the 2 spot? He would get more reps with actual WR's. I think I read an article about Davis playing postitions on the scout team right now.

Why not Davis at 2? Well, he's a low round draft pick that is seen as a project by every team and even this organization despite a good preseason against guys who are out of the NFL. Reminds me of Major League 2 where the leadoff hitter is hitting homers in Spring Training against pitchers who would be delivering pizzas in a few weeks.

Really this is a crazy discussion because I doubt the 9ers will put Davis at 2. They will want to get a veteran backup. Now if they want Davis and the veteran to split time on scout team next year that's a different story. But to bring Davis into a game after the 1 QB goes down and we are in playoff contention seems crazy to me. Just my opinion.

I believe that was the 3rd down so no dice for the offense if the receivers fail two times in a row.

Also, don't forget about the 4th down drop by Walker. Sure there was pass interference but Walker could have made the play. Not much Smith can do besides throwing it to himself and making the TD grab.

P-O-S-S-E-S-S-I-O-N! THAT MEANS THE NEXT TIME WE HAVE THE BALL. 4TH DOWN WE PUNT, SEAHAWKS DRIVE THEN PUNT BRINGING US TO OUR NEEEEEXXXXT, BLANK SPACE HERE. HINT:POSSESSION!
Share 49ersWebzone