There are 224 users in the forums

Looking at the positives

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm trying to get over the fact that I want to put my head through a wall and look at the positives. Alex Smith looks like he is the answer at QB. Our starting receivers are insanely young and productive. How many other teams have a 2nd year guy and rookie who just started playing 2 months ago who produce like Morgan and Crabtree. I think if we continue to run this kind of offense (and we should) we do need a running back more tailored to it though.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
How is Alex Smith the answer to the future when he can't even function out of a pro-style offense under center?

It's like saying I kick ass at College Algebra, but I can't grasp Calculus, so I am just going to keep taking College Algebra.

Frank Gore is our primary offensive weapon, and while we do move the ball down the field, we haven't been seeing a big difference in overall scoring in the spread offense.
no positives in this game
Originally posted by GEEK:
How is Alex Smith the answer to the future when he can't even function out of a pro-style offense under center?

It's like saying I kick ass at College Algebra, but I can't grasp Calculus, so I am just going to keep taking College Algebra.

Frank Gore is our primary offensive weapon, and while we do move the ball down the field, we haven't been seeing a big difference in overall scoring in the spread offense.

the spread is a pro style offense now. the league has changed. vd dropped a sure td, and frank choked again and fumbled. that should of been at least ten more points. our offense is a lot better and smith is proving that he should be the starter next year.
Hey geek smiths second touchdown to morgan was from under center. When this oline improves Smith will be fine. I am so sick of the off, cordinater calling 8 yard plays when we need 10.
  • Veteran
Alex Smith looked great, its not his fault that WR can't seprate themselves from the DB's, its not his fault that Gore fumbles, its not his fault we got an idiot for an OC or DC. He threw for over 300 yards with no INT. IMHO, he was a major positive tonight.

[ Edited by 190836 on Dec 6, 2009 at 16:51:01 ]

You have no clue what your talking about....the majority of the snaps in the first half was taken from under center..........but i guess hill woulda done better.

Matter of fact both TD's came from under center. Is it Alex fault he drove the team 80 yards just to have Gore fumble????

[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Dec 6, 2009 at 16:52:33 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
Right now, all I'm thinking is, "Who cares about production and stats"? You have to win games. Davis might finish with 1,000 yards. Crabtree might one day. Gore has a chance to hit 1,000 yards for a 4th consecutive season. Smith is playing at a high level. We're 5-7 though. Gore can't hold on to the ball. Davis drops 2 or 3 passes a game. I'm getting tired of hearing how productive we are. It's all about how you finish. Hasselbeck didn't do jack the whole game, but look what he did when it counted.

[ Edited by B650 on Dec 6, 2009 at 16:49:19 ]
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Hey geek smiths second touchdown to morgan was from under center. When this oline improves Smith will be fine. I am so sick of the off, cordinater calling 8 yard plays when we need 10.

Highly agree were out coached here.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
Obviously Smith but I think Lawson also had a good game

Brady primarily operates out of the shotgun. I guess he is amateur.

across the NFL over 50% over ALL plays have been from shotgun.

(according to ESPN)
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

across the NFL over 50% over ALL plays have been from shotgun.

(according to ESPN)

I think I saw a stat the other day that showed the progression of passes from the shotgun over the years. It showed like 5 years ago that 25% of passes were from shotgun over the NFL and then showed it up to this year where almost 70% of passes are from shotgun.
Originally posted by B650:
Right now, all I'm thinking is, "Who cares about production and stats"? You have to win games. Davis might finish with 1,000 yards. Crabtree might one day. Gore has a chance to hit 1,000 yards for a 4th consecutive season. Smith is playing at a high level. We're 5-7 though. Gore can't hold on to the ball. Davis drops 2 or 3 passes a game. I'm getting tired of hearing how productive we are. It's all about how you finish. Hasselbeck didn't do jack the whole game, but look what he did when it counted.

GOOD POINT!!!
It isn't Alex's fault our receivers dropped so many passes.
Share 49ersWebzone