LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
They should shoot themselves in the head if they even contemplate drafting another QB.

And that's not cause Alex is the "savior" of the franchise either. That's cause we JUST drafted one and have both Smith an Hill on the DC. So if Alex ain't the future ride his arm til Davis gets some more time with the 2nd team and then adjust accordingly.

If Alex IS the future reverse roles 2 and 3 and adjust accordingly.

If we pick up another QB for ANYTHING other than Camp Fodder I'm going to be really really REALLY miffed.

~Ceadder

Sorry Ceadder, I got call BS

You are one of Alex's loudest and most ardent fans, and therefore not eligible to make a dispassionate decision regarding the QB position. I love your loyalty and your passion but in reality stockpiling talent is never a bad thing.

In this years draft we can see a great example, we had Bruce Morgan Hill and had spent good money on a free agent receiver with starting credentials. Using your reasoning we should have passed on Crabtree.

If when we select in the first round with one of our two picks there is a blue chip QB prospect on the board we would be fools not to take him. If Alex continues to improve, Davis show flashes and our new first rounder looks great, Davis will have trade value above the pick we spent on him. Alex will be battling it out with this years pick for a season or two, and one of them will be traded for picks, and we will have the made our selves better at the most important single position on the field.

Hill is done and should be cut. Next year Smith starts Davis backs up and this years first rounder rides the pine. This would be a situation almost as good as Montana, Young and Bono!

With 50 million or so in cap space projected next season and two first round picks, the rebuilding can end and the stockpiling depth can begin! I think if we pick best available on the board all the way throughout the draft, we can add a pass rusher and and a guard with through free agency with out spending all of our cap room.

If drafting best available brings us a QB, or a RB, hell even a monster inside linebacker who cares we just get better and deeper!

You're certainly entitled to your opinion GL, but I'm not doing anything regarding Smith that I haven't done for any other player that still wears the uniform. If ya attack mines, I gonna step in and make ya scrap it out. The doubters may be right. Hell I might be right in what I saw in them all along given that it's been quite a few that I defended. Battle? Kwame? Rossum? Roman? The list is long it's not just Alex that I've defended bro. My record on this topic reflects that.

Alex just takes more of the crap tenfold at the moment. So of course it looks like he's always been my personal hero from the time he was drafted. But even then looks are deceiving. Cause I wasn't even wanting a QB with the 1st overall. Part of that had to do with the logistical evidence that it was a stupid move given the amount of money it would TAKE to sign one. Remember now QBs' had been taken in successive drafts so therefore the position was only getting more expensive to sign. That's neither the team or the position's fault. That was simple economic fact. As a result I wanted Edwards given that we were trying to get ourselves out of Cap hell at the time. Didn't need to go right back the next season.

But anyway I digress. We got Alex and I gave him the BoD and he showed ME, maybe not you or others but ME, that he indeed had the tools. Hell I didn't even want him to Start for a couple years. Like most people here I subscribe to the sit em and let em grow mentality. Davis is doing that now.

So why even muck with the position again when we don't HAVE to. Injury? Fine. Draft one. Bust? What's the final year of his contract going to cost us and then move on. But NOT Bust(intriguing), and now ya just created another hurdle for the man that has taken it all in stride w/o throwing anyone under the Bus. Nothing wrong with hurdles at all. But too many other issues of need are more important than plucking someone off the first day sheet at QB.

If you don't know them by now, well you just don't know.
I stand by my opinion on the matter. It would be career suicide to draft a QB. Sign one of the many castoffs and play the hand ya dealt yourself. I think Sims will be available. Griese is available. There are plenty of available backups to bring to Camp.

~Ceadder

Well worded post my man, but you don't address my key point.
I am liking Alex's play more and more he just might be a great Qb I love it!.

My point is this, We are an ascending team, we have a few holes, but none that can'y be addressed. I am a strong believer that you build depth in the draft, and fill needs through free agency. If you draft a player at a redundant position, so what he rides the or takes the starters job doesn't matter trade the less talented of the two for more picks!

This is a draft deep in QB talent if a blue chipper is staring you in the face on the first day, take him. I think Hill is done, Davis should be the #2 next year behind Smith, and if we got a Mcoy or a Bradford on the bench for a couple of years while he learns so be it. 3-4 years from now if we have Smith as a top ten QB, Davis pushing him because he shown signs of greatness, AND a another strong arm on the bench, how does this hurt us, it would be like having too much ice cream... aint no such thing as too much ice cream, somebody will alway help you eat it!

Okay now THAT I can agree with.

But who is going to trade for a 6'4" 249 lb. white guy with no arm? Maybe a team looking to start a trend as a Holder.

We'd be lucky to get a 7th round pick for Hill.

My thought is that we KEEP the guy. Make him QB3 and elevate Nate to QB2. If Nate isn't ready then you bring in Hill and run spread formation from that. Though I don't think that he has the ability to run that very long. For him that would be a week to week issue. So it would only have to be for short term.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex is our QB. Shaun Hill has proven you can't go far with him. Nate Davis is overrated on this board. He's a PRESEASON TIGER just like Morgan. Davis was throwing against 4th stringers. Most of those guys are no longer in the NFL. He's not ready to be our starter now. And probably he never will be. If we draft a rookie that QB will struggle for 3 - 5 years to come. The same growing pains as any young QB.

Alex is better this year than he has ever been. And quite frankly he is the best option for next year regardless of what you think of him.

Exactly so we should cut Hill, let Davis back-up Smith and IF a top QB (McCoy Bradford, Cluasen) is staring us in the face in the first round take him and HAVE BATTLE DAVIS FOR THE BACK-UP JOB.

Simple, if our pick this year looks to good to sit for 3-4 years we trade some one, we get picks we build a team, we have a plan, we stockpile talent and have depth!

My guess is that people see McCoy, Bradford and Clausen as a threat to Alex Smith, and would rather bring in a washed up vet someone to that level. I would love to see the staff bring in someone that will get the same size leash as Alex Smith has had, real competition. IMO, don't see any real harm in doing that.

really? that's your guess? kind of an self-serving opinion, don't you think? your characterization of Smith supporters is laughable and dismissive.

please don't ban me.
Originally posted by fearthe9ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Alex is our QB. Shaun Hill has proven you can't go far with him. Nate Davis is overrated on this board. He's a PRESEASON TIGER just like Morgan. Davis was throwing against 4th stringers. Most of those guys are no longer in the NFL. He's not ready to be our starter now. And probably he never will be. If we draft a rookie that QB will struggle for 3 - 5 years to come. The same growing pains as any young QB.

Alex is better this year than he has ever been. And quite frankly he is the best option for next year regardless of what you think of him.

Exactly so we should cut Hill, let Davis back-up Smith and IF a top QB (McCoy Bradford, Cluasen) is staring us in the face in the first round take him and HAVE BATTLE DAVIS FOR THE BACK-UP JOB.

Simple, if our pick this year looks to good to sit for 3-4 years we trade some one, we get picks we build a team, we have a plan, we stockpile talent and have depth!

My guess is that people see McCoy, Bradford and Clausen as a threat to Alex Smith, and would rather bring in a washed up vet someone to that level. I would love to see the staff bring in someone that will get the same size leash as Alex Smith has had, real competition. IMO, don't see any real harm in doing that.

really? that's your guess? kind of an self-serving opinion, don't you think? your characterization of Smith supporters is laughable and dismissive.

please don't ban me.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone