LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
See how Alex finishes up this season. If he does well then bring him back, if falls on his face then get rid of him.

I personally think he is gonna play just average enough to be brought back.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Depends on how he finishes the season. If good, then say goodbye to Hill - move Nate up tp #2 and find a reliable vet for #3. If bad, find a quality starter and groom Nate to be # 1

We been looking for a quality starter since Garcia left and you throw it out there like "meh, just pick one of those quality starters off the vine in the mean time"

Also WTF waste a roster spot on an old Vet as #3. If Nate is good enough to be #2 then why not draft another developmental?
Scout OL

Draft OL

Start OL

Block.
I agree with the people saying we'll know more in 30 days. I give Alex to week 15 to show what he can do. If he earns another look for next season he earns another look. If he falters and we're mathematically eliminated by that time I turn to Nate give him 2 easy starts against Detroit and St Louis and see just how much potential the kid has.

If Alex fails he's gone.
The answer today is stick with Alex Smith. With four games remaining, the division still potentially up for grabs, and a potential playoff berth on the line, things may change.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
They should shoot themselves in the head if they even contemplate drafting another QB.

And that's not cause Alex is the "savior" of the franchise either. That's cause we JUST drafted one and have both Smith an Hill on the DC. So if Alex ain't the future ride his arm til Davis gets some more time with the 2nd team and then adjust accordingly.

If Alex IS the future reverse roles 2 and 3 and adjust accordingly.

If we pick up another QB for ANYTHING other than Camp Fodder I'm going to be really really REALLY miffed.

~Ceadder

Sorry Ceadder, I got call BS

You are one of Alex's loudest and most ardent fans, and therefore not eligible to make a dispassionate decision regarding the QB position. I love your loyalty and your passion but in reality stockpiling talent is never a bad thing.

In this years draft we can see a great example, we had Bruce Morgan Hill and had spent good money on a free agent receiver with starting credentials. Using your reasoning we should have passed on Crabtree.

If when we select in the first round with one of our two picks there is a blue chip QB prospect on the board we would be fools not to take him. If Alex continues to improve, Davis show flashes and our new first rounder looks great, Davis will have trade value above the pick we spent on him. Alex will be battling it out with this years pick for a season or two, and one of them will be traded for picks, and we will have the made our selves better at the most important single position on the field.

Hill is done and should be cut. Next year Smith starts Davis backs up and this years first rounder rides the pine. This would be a situation almost as good as Montana, Young and Bono!

With 50 million or so in cap space projected next season and two first round picks, the rebuilding can end and the stockpiling depth can begin! I think if we pick best available on the board all the way throughout the draft, we can add a pass rusher and and a guard with through free agency with out spending all of our cap room.

If drafting best available brings us a QB, or a RB, hell even a monster inside linebacker who cares we just get better and deeper!

Let me interject and respectfully disagree. If we were in rebuilding mode, then you are absoultely correct. If we win our next 2 games, that means we are serious contenders for the division from now on.

We have used the BPA strategy the last few years and we have built up alot of depth now. Now we have alot less holes than in previous years. With a good "need" draft and a few key FA moves, we should be able to plug every hole we have and be serious contenders for the next 5 years. These are our holes: RT, G, SS, OLB. These holes NEED to be fixed this offseason. We might also want to get a fast CB prospect and a NT to develop (in case Franklin doesn't extend = franchised)

We have 2 1st, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th to try to fix these holes. Trying to fix these holes with draft picks after the 4th round is wishful thinking. So I count 5 picks , and maybe 2 FA moves. The question is, can we afford to use one of these 5 picks to take an unproven QB who will not play the next couple of years? If we are in rebuild mode, then the answer is Yes. If we are fed up of the rebuild mode and finally want to be contenders, then I say the answer is no (especially if you are saying use a 1st rounder).

So bottomline: We need to see the rest of the year play out to determine if we are a few moves away from being a serious contender for the next few years or we start rebuild mode again.

[ Edited by kronik on Dec 5, 2009 at 12:27:49 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JohnnyMo49:
Scout OL

Draft OL

Start OL

Block.

Brilliant!

Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Stick with Alex, drop Hill, & sign Garcia as Smitty's backup (if Jeff wants to do it).

Garcia was ass when he left SF, wtf would we want him now?

Not sure that I would want a 40 year old backup to QB1, but that's another conversation. In any case...

Garcia MAY have been ass?(The Line was the issue not the QB) But he handled himself in a dignified manner and didn't throw ANYONE under the bus like a certain Receiver that shall remain nameless though all know who I'm referring to. He had a hell of a bounce back season playing for Philly after two not so promising stops in Cleveland and Detroit.

Even made himself relevant again and did a hell of a job QB'ing for Tampa til Gruden got fired.

The REASON we would want him back, is because as "weak" as his arm is? It's STILL stronger than Hill's. And having run Shotgun with us Philly and Tampa I think that gives him the credentials to outright replace one Shaun Hill for the short term IF that's what I would want the team to do. Which I don't.

So c'mon WIN bro, that was plenty uncalled for.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by kronik:
They should shoot themselves in the head if they even contemplate drafting another QB.

And that's not cause Alex is the "savior" of the franchise either. That's cause we JUST drafted one and have both Smith an Hill on the DC. So if Alex ain't the future ride his arm til Davis gets some more time with the 2nd team and then adjust accordingly.

If we pick up another QB for ANYTHING other than Camp Fodder I'm going to be really really REALLY miffed.

~Ceadder

You are one of Alex's loudest and most ardent fans, and therefore not eligible to make a dispassionate decision regarding the QB position. I love your loyalty and your passion but in reality stockpiling talent is never a bad thing.

In this years draft we can see a great example, we had Bruce Morgan Hill and had spent good money on a free agent receiver with starting credentials. Using your reasoning we should have passed on Crabtree.

If when we select in the first round with one of our two picks there is a blue chip QB prospect on the board we would be fools not to take him. If Alex continues to improve, Davis show flashes and our new first rounder looks great, Davis will have trade value above the pick we spent on him. Alex will be battling it out with this years pick for a season or two, and one of them will be traded for picks, and we will have the made our selves better at the most important single position on the field.

Hill is done and should be cut. Next year Smith starts Davis backs up and this years first rounder rides the pine. This would be a situation almost as good as Montana, Young and Bono!

With 50 million or so in cap space projected next season and two first round picks, the rebuilding can end and the stockpiling depth can begin! I think if we pick best available on the board all the way throughout the draft, we can add a pass rusher and and a guard with through free agency with out spending all of our cap room.

If drafting best available brings us a QB, or a RB, hell even a monster inside linebacker who cares we just get better and deeper!

Let me interject and respectfully disagree. If we were in rebuilding mode, then you are absoultely correct. If we win our next 2 games, that means we are serious contenders for the division from now on.

We have used the BPA strategy the last few years and we have built up alot of depth now. Now we have alot less holes than in previous years. With a good "need" draft and a few key FA moves, we should be able to plug every hole we have and be serious contenders for the next 5 years. These are our holes: RT, G, SS, OLB. These holes NEED to be fixed this offseason. We might also want to get a fast CB prospect and a NT to develop (in case Franklin doesn't extend = franchised)

We have 2 1st, a 2nd, 3rd, 4th to try to fix these holes. Trying to fix these holes with draft picks after the 4th round is wishful thinking. So I count 5 picks , and maybe 2 FA moves. The question is, can we afford to use one of these 5 picks to take an unproven QB who will not play the next couple of years? If we are in rebuild mode, then the answer is Yes. If we are fed up of the rebuild mode and finally want to be contenders, then I say the answer is no (especially if you are saying use a 1st rounder).

So bottomline: We need to see the rest of the year play out to determine if we are a few moves away from being a serious contender for the next few years or we start rebuild mode again.

I feel you, but I just think we are closer to being a legit play off threat, and the list you provided is correct it would be hard to fill all those hole in one off season, but once those hole are filled, we are not just a playoff contender, but a Superbowl contender! Thats good news to me because there is no reason we can't draft a 1st day QB and become a contender now!

~Ceadder

You're certainly entitled to your opinion GL, but I'm not doing anything regarding Smith that I haven't done for any other player that still wears the uniform. If ya attack mines, I gonna step in and make ya scrap it out. The doubters may be right. Hell I might be right in what I saw in them all along given that it's been quite a few that I defended. Battle? Kwame? Rossum? Roman? The list is long it's not just Alex that I've defended bro. My record on this topic reflects that.

Alex just takes more of the crap tenfold at the moment. So of course it looks like he's always been my personal hero from the time he was drafted. But even then looks are deceiving. Cause I wasn't even wanting a QB with the 1st overall. Part of that had to do with the logistical evidence that it was a stupid move given the amount of money it would TAKE to sign one. Remember now QBs' had been taken in successive drafts so therefore the position was only getting more expensive to sign. That's neither the team or the position's fault. That was simple economic fact. As a result I wanted Edwards given that we were trying to get ourselves out of Cap hell at the time. Didn't need to go right back the next season.

But anyway I digress. We got Alex and I gave him the BoD and he showed ME, maybe not you or others but ME, that he indeed had the tools. Hell I didn't even want him to Start for a couple years. Like most people here I subscribe to the sit em and let em grow mentality. Davis is doing that now.

So why even muck with the position again when we don't HAVE to. Injury? Fine. Draft one. Bust? What's the final year of his contract going to cost us and then move on. But NOT Bust(intriguing), and now ya just created another hurdle for the man that has taken it all in stride w/o throwing anyone under the Bus. Nothing wrong with hurdles at all. But too many other issues of need are more important than plucking someone off the first day sheet at QB.

If you don't know them by now, well you just don't know.
I stand by my opinion on the matter. It would be career suicide to draft a QB. Sign one of the many castoffs and play the hand ya dealt yourself. I think Sims will be available. Griese is available. There are plenty of available backups to bring to Camp.

~Ceadder

Originally posted by Steve:
I think that at this point, we have to see how Alex does for the rest of this season. He has to get wins in my opinion, at least three. If so, then let him have next season to show he can continue to improve along with the whole offense. We know Hill has a winning record as the backup. I think he is hungry enough now that he will really push himself if the chance comes. Keep Hill as the backup and let Davis sit and learn the offense so it becomes automatic for him. He is a ways from being ready to start and we don't need to damage him by starting him before he is ready. By the season after next, he should be ready to take on the backup responsibilities and hopefully be successful. I have always been questioning about Alex and have been a Hill fan. Smith is in there now and I hope he wins every game the rest of the season. Go NINERS

this. Smith keeps the job, he looks very impressive right now and i think that is based on the similarity of this offense with turner's get this kid some continuity. manning and moore have been together forever. maybe raye can be smiths old man OC that has no desire for moving on. i think Hill should stay to back him up incase of an injury but i dont like him as a QB in an extended time period. Davis is a good prospect to coach up on the bench until he knows the ins and outs of the offense and then he can move into the 2nd QB role behind smith. i do believe this is smiths team and he is beginning to play up to his potential. its not complete yet but he is really getting comfortable and it shows. two young, talented QB's on the roster sound good to me.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Draft Dan LeFevour or Tim Hiller, keep 4 QB's next year, then see at the end of 2010 which QB is worth keeping.

That would be like throwing a draft pick away , I hope we draft OL and some more on defense .
Scout OL

Draft OL

Start OL

Block.

This

A good Oline can make everyone look good
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Scout OL

Draft OL

Start OL

Block.

This

A good Oline can make everyone look good
If the 49ers are an ascending team, which everyone believes, this will be our last year to get a blue chip QB prospect from the top 1/3 of the draft. Carolina looks to be crumbling that pick could be our chance to finally get a difference maker under center. Smith has shown improvement, but he is far from a proven pro QB that the 49ers should feel comfortable building around. Settle for mediocrity at the QB position and settle for very likely never winning another super bowl.

The theory that the best QBs don't come from the first round of the draft is BS. Most of them at the very least come from the first three rounds.

Drew Brees 2nd Round Pick
Brett Favre 2nd Round Pick
Aaron Rodgers 1st Round Pick
Peyton Manning 1st Round Pick
Philip Rivers 1st Round Pick
Ben Roethlisberger 1st Round Pick

Matt Schaub 3rd Round Pick
Tom Brady 6th Round Pick
Kurt Warner Undrafted
Donovan McNabb 1st Round Pick
Tony Romo Undrafted
Joe Flacco 1st Round Pick