There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
This will be easier to answer in about 30 days . . . hopefully.

cosigned
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
They should shoot themselves in the head if they even contemplate drafting another QB.

And that's not cause Alex is the "savior" of the franchise either. That's cause we JUST drafted one and have both Smith an Hill on the DC. So if Alex ain't the future ride his arm til Davis gets some more time with the 2nd team and then adjust accordingly.

If Alex IS the future reverse roles 2 and 3 and adjust accordingly.

If we pick up another QB for ANYTHING other than Camp Fodder I'm going to be really really REALLY miffed.

~Ceadder

uh, one could argue that Davis was drafted to be camp fodder. The Niners have only made 1 serious attempt at QB, and that was in April of 2005

We haven't JUST done anything

And for the record, the Niners not attempting to address the QB problem is EXACTLY why they are in a playoff drought

[ Edited by danimal on Dec 5, 2009 at 10:22:17 ]
Exactly Smith is cap freindly next season and is playing well enough for his final year to determin weather he is the man. I would like to see them take a qb in the 2nd-4th round and do away with hill next season. Hill is a backup and always will be if they get youth at the position they may hit a homer with one of them in two years or Alex may develop. either way there are prospects with up side on the roster as upposed to a qb that is maxed potential. I.E. Hill.
I would rather see us fill the holes on the Oline and the pass rush or a safety before a QB. Unless there is a QB that can double as a LG or OLB in the draft. Tebow?
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Plan on fixing the oline, give the kid the OL protection he deserves. Keep building continuity. Keep working the offense scheme to fit him. Short of him bombing out the rest of the season, keep moving down that road with him.

Keep developing Nate, he could be a number 1 in the future.

Keep Hill. If we fix the o-line and keep Gore, the offense would function adequately and Hill would be a serviceable number 2 until such time as Nate supplants him. When (if) Nate supplants him...then send Hill packing and draft another QB to develop.

If Alex bombs out the rest of the season, it is still "fix the o-line" first and then go from there, even if they decide Alex is not the man and the QB situation needs fixing.

In short, fix the f**king o-line first, no matter what.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 5, 2009 at 10:33:18 ]
Cant agree more with fixing the stinking o-line. See how bad Brady looked against the saints. His line forgot to show up but when he has all day to throw he is a hall o famer. HUUUMMMM???
I could understand itvif this was a deep, rich qb draft, but by all accounts it is not. I don't mind gambling with a late pick but this year there are just way too many other needs.
One of the weakest/suspect positions in our team for the last 6 yrs is the QB spot. It is best we draft another QB in the later rounds next year.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
This will be easier to answer in about 30 days . . . hopefully.

Agreed. I'll answer this poll at the end of the regular season.
I hope better than the 49ers have handled the development of Alex Smith so far. Basically you had the Keystone Cops running the show for 5 years with QBS.
Barring him bombing over the next 5 games is best to stick with Smith.

I think given an upgraded line, an offseason taken all the first team reps, going with the same offensive system for once, and finally fine tuning what we want to do offensively I think Smith would do just fine.

I wouldn't be against drafting a QB though if a guy slips and clearly the BPA available over our other needs. I just wouldn't be actively be looking for a guy.
Originally posted by haggard:
Easy, stock up on the most important position in the game. Even if Alex finishes strong they should draft another QB just for insurance. San Diego drafted Rivers when they were unsure about Breese. 49ers have two #1 picks. They have to draft a QB if he's top of the draft board when it's their turn.

No they need to worry about the O-Line first than Pass rusher second. No way I would waste a pick on a QB this draft. We have a QB sitting on the bench who should no the entire play book by next season. We didn't draft Nate for nothing. If anything pickup a has been veteran toward the end of his career.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Barring him bombing over the next 5 games is best to stick with Smith.

I think given an upgraded line, an offseason taken all the first team reps, going with the same offensive system for once, and finally fine tuning what we want to do offensively I think Smith would do just fine.

I wouldn't be against drafting a QB though if a guy slips and clearly the BPA available over our other needs. I just wouldn't be actively be looking for a guy.

I would be completely against drafting a QB right now. We'll have Alex Smith and Nate Davis on the roster. No way we are keeping a 3rd QB who is a rookie. We're either staying with Shawn Hill as backup or signing a VET. FA QB to backup Smith.

Besides I would rather draft an OL position than QB. We need help there more than QB. But of any position I would say draft a pass rusher!!!!!
They should shoot themselves in the head if they even contemplate drafting another QB.

And that's not cause Alex is the "savior" of the franchise either. That's cause we JUST drafted one and have both Smith an Hill on the DC. So if Alex ain't the future ride his arm til Davis gets some more time with the 2nd team and then adjust accordingly.

If we pick up another QB for ANYTHING other than Camp Fodder I'm going to be really really REALLY miffed.

~Ceadder

Agreed. Again Ceadder you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Basically after the next handful of games we should know if Smith is our starter for the future. Right now it certainly looks like he is going to be so NO. Don't draft a QB.

~Ceadder

Sorry Ceadder, I got call BS

You are one of Alex's loudest and most ardent fans, and therefore not eligible to make a dispassionate decision regarding the QB position. I love your loyalty and your passion but in reality stockpiling talent is never a bad thing.

In this years draft we can see a great example, we had Bruce Morgan Hill and had spent good money on a free agent receiver with starting credentials. Using your reasoning we should have passed on Crabtree.

If when we select in the first round with one of our two picks there is a blue chip QB prospect on the board we would be fools not to take him. If Alex continues to improve, Davis show flashes and our new first rounder looks great, Davis will have trade value above the pick we spent on him. Alex will be battling it out with this years pick for a season or two, and one of them will be traded for picks, and we will have the made our selves better at the most important single position on the field.

Hill is done and should be cut. Next year Smith starts Davis backs up and this years first rounder rides the pine. This would be a situation almost as good as Montana, Young and Bono!

With 50 million or so in cap space projected next season and two first round picks, the rebuilding can end and the stockpiling depth can begin! I think if we pick best available on the board all the way throughout the draft, we can add a pass rusher and and a guard with through free agency with out spending all of our cap room.

If drafting best available brings us a QB, or a RB, hell even a monster inside linebacker who cares we just get better and deeper!