There are 94 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

How should the 49ers handle the future QB situation?

• Twister68
  • Info N/A
I didn't find a similar poll. So which way to go? I'd like to see Smith back with the same personnel.
This will be easier to answer in about 30 days . . . hopefully.
Easy, stock up on the most important position in the game. Even if Alex finishes strong they should draft another QB just for insurance. San Diego drafted Rivers when they were unsure about Breese. 49ers have two #1 picks. They have to draft a QB if he's top of the draft board when it's their turn.
They should shoot themselves in the head if they even contemplate drafting another QB.

And that's not cause Alex is the "savior" of the franchise either. That's cause we JUST drafted one and have both Smith an Hill on the DC. So if Alex ain't the future ride his arm til Davis gets some more time with the 2nd team and then adjust accordingly.

If Alex IS the future reverse roles 2 and 3 and adjust accordingly.

If we pick up another QB for ANYTHING other than Camp Fodder I'm going to be really really REALLY miffed.

~Ceadder
We have too many needs at other positions (OL, Safety, Passrusher) to pick a QB high in this next draft. If Smith keeps improving, we keep developing Nate for the future. If not he might have to start sooner than he should. I am not completely sold on Smith just yet, but he has showed marked improvement under this new QB coach. Maybe that was what he needed all along.
Originally posted by haggard:
Easy, stock up on the most important position in the game. Even if Alex finishes strong they should draft another QB just for insurance. San Diego drafted Rivers when they were unsure about Breese. 49ers have two #1 picks. They have to draft a QB if he's top of the draft board when it's their turn.

Stop reading my mind... grumble grumble I need more tin foil in my hat!

You sir are 100000% correct! we should have done this two years ago!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Stick with Alex, there isn't a better alternative in the forseeable future as far as a FA or a Qb in the draft. Re-evaluate after a couple of years.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

This is the most logical answer, but for some reason people keep creating new threads every week asking almost the same exact question. I am content with our QB situation right now, but Alex really has to prove he can do it consistently...
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

This is the most logical answer, but for some reason people keep creating new threads every week asking almost the same exact question. I am content with our QB situation right now, but Alex really has to prove he can do it consistently...

This is probably how most of the reasonable fans see it too.
Stick with Alex, drop Hill, & sign Garcia as Smitty's backup (if Jeff wants to do it).
Screw drafting another QB in the early rounds, Only way that should happen is if Smith BOMBS the season away, We need Linemen > every other position, then a real passrusher and a ball hawking safety.
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
I think that at this point, we have to see how Alex does for the rest of this season. He has to get wins in my opinion, at least three. If so, then let him have next season to show he can continue to improve along with the whole offense. We know Hill has a winning record as the backup. I think he is hungry enough now that he will really push himself if the chance comes. Keep Hill as the backup and let Davis sit and learn the offense so it becomes automatic for him. He is a ways from being ready to start and we don't need to damage him by starting him before he is ready. By the season after next, he should be ready to take on the backup responsibilities and hopefully be successful. I have always been questioning about Alex and have been a Hill fan. Smith is in there now and I hope he wins every game the rest of the season. Go NINERS
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Stick with Alex, drop Hill, & sign Garcia as Smitty's backup (if Jeff wants to do it).

Garcia was ass when he left SF, wtf would we want him now?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Draft Dan LeFevour or Tim Hiller, keep 4 QB's next year, then see at the end of 2010 which QB is worth keeping.
Depends on how he finishes the season. If good, then say goodbye to Hill - move Nate up tp #2 and find a reliable vet for #3. If bad, find a quality starter and groom Nate to be # 1