LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 411 users in the forums

The Option

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After looking at Vince Young and Chris Johnson's success with the option, I really think the 9ers should throw in a few of those plays a game. Alex is a good mobile quarterback and Gore is one of the best at making people miss in open space. The NFL is a copycat league, so I hope Raye catches on.
That could be a possibility, but I'd rather see the Niners be comfortable with what they are running now, consistently, before tackling on something new.
I dont think it would work. Chris Johnson is insanely fast and can get around the edge. I dont think Gore could do that.
Originally posted by FourNine49:
That could be a possibility, but I'd rather see the Niners be comfortable with what they are running now, consistently, before tackling on something new.

We wouldn't need to run it 5 times a quarter, but it would be cool to see it at least once or twice a game.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

We wouldn't need to run it 5 times a quarter, but it would be cool to see it at least once or twice a game.

Yeah it would be kinda cool (if it was successful of course). Who knows, maybe Raye will have another trick up his sleeve.
Once or twice a game just to add another wrinkle. I would like to see more Wildcat with Gore also.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Once or twice a game just to add another wrinkle. I would like to see more Wildcat with Gore also.

The times we've run the direct snap to Gore it's been pretty successful.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

The times we've run the direct snap to Gore it's been pretty successful.

I agree. I think we will see it thi sunday forsure.
f**k the option and f**k the wildcat, it never works for us and the option wont either

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Dec 4, 2009 at 14:03:50 ]
News Flash!!

Vince Young is a far superior runner in size, speed and skill than Alex Smith.

Chris Johnson, right now, is a far superior runner over Frank Gore.

AND THAT's why the Option works for them.

Originally posted by Joecool:
News Flash!!

Won't hurt to try. Our O-line needs all the help they can get in the run game IMO.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Joecool:
News Flash!!

Stop it with the making sense. My view of the world is crumbling.

I don't want us to run the option either. We don't have the QB for it, nor do we have the linemen for it. The direct snap to Gore is pretty effective for us, but probably because we only use it once a game (if that).
No. It's a college play. We don't want our starting qb injured if we can avoid it
We should use the halfback pass with Robinson or the flanker pass with Battle, both were qbs in college. I don't know if Gore has ever thrown a pass for the 49ers.
I don't think Alex is elusive enough to run it...
Share 49ersWebzone