There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

This offense could be SCARY good...

Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Any team that throws an average of 40 times per game is not going to fare well in the long run. The offense you saw against JAX is not going to be scary.

An offense that can block for Gore AND parts of the offense we saw last week could be scary.

Intimidating offenses don't throw 40 times beacuse then they become predictable.

The New England Patriots avg 40.4 attempts per game. The top 3 teams in ATT/game are NE, Ariz, and the Colts.

In the bottom 5 are Oaktown, the Jets and Cleveland.

The Patriots and Colts are two of the most intimidating offenses in the league.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Any team that throws an average of 40 times per game is not going to fare well in the long run. The offense you saw against JAX is not going to be scary.

An offense that can block for Gore AND parts of the offense we saw last week could be scary.

Intimidating offenses don't throw 40 times beacuse then they become predictable.

The New England Patriots avg 40.4 attempts per game. The top 3 teams in ATT/game are NE, Ariz, and the Colts.

Saved me alot of time looking it up but forgot one. The Saints. Brees is having an All Pro year this year.

An lamontb? If ever there was a time to let Alex off the chain it's now. So I think that ya(as in the team) gotta give him a few series to see what happens. if nothing else it doesn't work out and then ya go back to what you were doing anyway. It hurts nothing to give him the ability to use his skills and put the Opposing Defense on their butts.

~Ceadder

Yea I could agree with that. I'm just not sure that Raye himself is comfortable running a no huddle regardless of the qb. Plus with this new offense they are running I have a feeling they spend a lot of time adjusting to this and maybe not practicing the no huddle to the extenet where they could use it full time Could be a nie mix up and something extremely unexpected. Cards game maybe could keep them off balance, get a score out of it then return back to normal.

Not long ago I would have agreed with you. A high number of attempts and passing yards were normally associated with teams that were coming from behind and throwing a lot in order to catch up. Teams that racked up 300 yds or 40 attempts would have likely ended up losing.

In todays NFL that is no longer the case. Teams are throwing a lot by design, as part of their game plans.

The most explosive offenses are throwing the ball more these days. With the exception of Stafford (Lions), the top 5 QBs in passing attempts all play for 500 or better teams.

The NFL is a QB driven league and a high number of passing attempts is usually and indicator of a good team.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Saved me alot of time looking it up but forgot one. The Saints. Brees is having an All Pro year this year.

An lamontb? If ever there was a time to let Alex off the chain it's now. So I think that ya(as in the team) gotta give him a few series to see what happens. if nothing else it doesn't work out and then ya go back to what you were doing anyway. It hurts nothing to give him the ability to use his skills and put the Opposing Defense on their butts.

~Ceadder

Yea I could agree with that. I'm just not sure that Raye himself is comfortable running a no huddle regardless of the qb. Plus with this new offense they are running I have a feeling they spend a lot of time adjusting to this and maybe not practicing the no huddle to the extenet where they could use it full time Could be a nie mix up and something extremely unexpected. Cards game maybe could keep them off balance, get a score out of it then return back to normal.

Oh come on. How can you have a solid argument if you don't even know how or what they practice?

cept for the Colts and Patriots...2 of the 3 model franchises in the NFL...
Originally posted by Niners99:

I have to agree with you guys on this one. The better franchises pass more now. Look at the Saints and Philly even the Steelers have caught on.

~Ceadder

There's a huge difference between THOSE guys attempting 40 per game as to Alex Smith or a QB who doesn't have masterful QBing skill throwing 40 per game. QBs who haven't mastered it requested to throw that much will throw more INTs than those guys. We need Gore to help out or teams WILL figure out Smith's weaknesses and there are a lot of them. Or they will figure out our WRs weaknesses and our guys are young. A good bump and run will make our passing game look like crap.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

I have to agree with you guys on this one. The better franchises pass more now. Look at the Saints and Philly even the Steelers have caught on.

tom brady, peyton manning, drew brees throwing 40 times a game is intimidating.
Alex is not quite there yet...

~Ceadder

There's a huge difference between THOSE guys attempting 40 per game as to Alex Smith or a QB who doesn't have masterful QBing skill throwing 40 per game. QBs who haven't mastered it requested to throw that much will throw more INTs than those guys. We need Gore to help out or teams WILL figure out Smith's weaknesses and there are a lot of them. Or they will figure out our WRs weaknesses and our guys are young. A good bump and run will make our passing game look like crap.

Have 2 disagree here Joe. I think for Alex 2 be a great QB in this league you need 2 let him develop a rhythm. He had great rhythm against the Jags and if Crabs wouldn't have dropped those 2 big gains one for a TD he would have had Peyton type numbers agianst the 12th ranked D in the league.

[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Dec 4, 2009 at 13:45:36 ]
Yeah if we had a QB, hopefully Colt is in our grasp next April.
Originally posted by BayBombers:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

tom brady, peyton manning, drew brees throwing 40 times a game is intimidating.
Alex is not quite there yet...

he's showing signs. how many times has a QB thrown 3 TD passes in one half of football this year? Alex Smith has done it twice in just 6 games.

and in his last 6 quarters of play to date, he has thrown for about 460 yds and 5 TD's.

you dont abandon the run, especially with a guy like gore, but if the passing game works, you use it. do what works. if gore gets going against someone, run him all day until they prove they can stop him. if youre passing all over someone, pass all day until they stop you. its basic football common sense.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

They have better lines
They have better receivers
Their QBs have all been playing for much longer than Alex.

So yes, there are huge differences. I actually agree with you on this one too (aagh). I'd like to see Alex throw maybe 60-65% of our offensive plays. That gives him enough to get into a rythm, while limiting the amount of damage he can do with interceptions. The other 35-40% should be run plays. Keeping to this ratio will force linebackers and safeties out of the box, which will allow more success in our run game, which will in turn force them back up allowing us to have success in the passing game.

Until Alex has had a full off-season and we upgrade our O-line I don't want him throwing more than 40 times a game.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

lol i got bad news for you buddy. we arent drafting colt mccoy. know why? because first off, he isnt an NFL type QB. he probably wont succeed in the NFL game. and 2nd, you might not like alex smith, but the 49ers organization really likes him right now.

hes playing well, hes showing signs of drastic improvement, and for CHEAP. they already had to pay him out a huge amount, but now he makes next to nothing, and is playing well. we arent going to draft another 1st/2nd round QB that will command more money than smith already makes.

we arent drafting a QB next year. thats become clear now. Smith could be in line to be comeback player of the year. i think our front office and coaching staff is very pleased about this. lets go get an OL or 2, S, and maybe someone to replace Franklin at NT when he leaves.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 4, 2009 at 13:48:34 ]
WE NEED TO RUN WHATEVER GETS HIM IN A POSITION TO SUCCEED!!! Its that simple!
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

lol i got bad news for you buddy. we arent drafting colt mccoy. know why? because first off, he isnt an NFL type QB. he probably wont succeed in the NFL game. and 2nd, you might not like alex smith, but the 49ers organization really likes him right now.

hes playing well, hes showing signs of drastic improvement, and for CHEAP. they already had to pay him out a huge amount, but now he makes next to nothing, and is playing well. we arent going to draft another 1st/2nd round QB that will command more money than smith already makes.

we arent drafting a QB next year. thats become clear now. Smith could be in line to be comeback player of the year. i think our front office and coaching staff is very pleased about this. lets go get some OL, S, and maybe someone to replace Franklin at NT when he leaves.

Alex Smith is playing well, ha that's not funny, I almost said it was, but it's not, the guy is a moron. He's like Louis from Charlie Brown, he needs his blanket, ie the spread f'ing offense. Drastic improvement course its drastic, he was playing beyond awful, now he's just playing awful to average. Colt wins football games, people said the same BS about Joe Cool, no arm, he's to small pssh. Watch last years Fiesta Bowl drive if you need a reminder. Especially since that game rings something similar to Joe's Cotton Bowl game way back when (minus the hypothermia of course). We don't have a QB on the roster to get it done, ie do what we do best win Super Bowls. If Colt is there, or Sam is there in the 2nd round for example, ie if we have a clear shot at one of those guys, we better take em. I don't wanna miss out on QB again, I mean the Packer game close the door on that lack of an argument, for good, we choked, Scot choked, we had our shot at the franchise QB and we choked, we shouldn't choke again, especially since unlike that '05 Draft there's more than one franchise QB at least it looks that way.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home