There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scot McCoughan on the hot seat??

Originally posted by cNiner:
Mike Sando

By my count, the 49ers have drafted more current starters since 2005 than any team in the league. That reflects some good drafting. It also reflects the pitiful state of the 49ers before the 2005 draft.

nuf said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/10284/ruskell-vs-the-nfc-west-on-draft-day

Nuf said? And what has our record been since 2005?

Again a GM is not just SCOUT-IN-CHIEF of the draft. It's good drafting because Mike Sando says so? And just because you "draft a starter" that makes you good or improves the record how? A blanket statement without context to position. HA! And many of you were calling Smith a bust just 6 weeks ago. Please. The jury is certainly still out on that.

Bottom line -

Until this team finishes a season with a .500 record, Scott is part of the problem. Judge the record, not opinion.

Period.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Dec 4, 2009 at 12:23:44 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Mike Sando

By my count, the 49ers have drafted more current starters since 2005 than any team in the league. That reflects some good drafting. It also reflects the pitiful state of the 49ers before the 2005 draft.

nuf said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/10284/ruskell-vs-the-nfc-west-on-draft-day

Again a GM is not just SCOUT-IN-CHIEF of the draft. It's good drafting because Mike Sando says so?

Bottom line -

Until this team finishes a season with a .500 record, Scott is part of the problem. Judge the record, not opinion.

Period.

And what role do the coaches play in this poor record over the last 5 years? I don't think the coaching has been all that steller the last few years and the development of players hasn't been good until recently.
The ownership and senior management are very satisfy with Scotty's performance.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Mike Sando

nuf said.

Again a GM is not just SCOUT-IN-CHIEF of the draft. It's good drafting because Mike Sando says so?

Bottom line -

Period.

And what role do the coaches play in this poor record over the last 5 years? I don't think the coaching has been all that steller the last few years and the development of players hasn't been good until recently.

What role do the coaches play? Well I'd say that even with coaches like Norv Turner and Mike Martz, the record was still sub .500. I'd also say that the coaching hasn't gotten better save Singletary. For the most part the position coaches outside of OC have been relatively the same. Yes the coaches must develop players BUT -

You can't tell me that the Jones, Lelie, Mavel Smith, Jackson, Johnson, etc... were good, well thought out signing with what was KNOWN about those players before they were signed. Add to that letting GO of Smiley with the mantra "OGs can be found....." on a team that went into the season as "power rushing". Further more, the OG position sucked - Baas was coming off injury and had yet you perform (the reason why he wasn't one of those who was offered a contract extension), Snyder is a starting bench player, etc, etc. Why do we need to always re-hash this?

It's like the zone has amnesia or something. We win one game against a bad team and ALL has been forgiven?

Let's GET to .500 before we say "Scott is the greatest".

Can we just get there?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jed_york:
The ownership and senior management are very satisfy with Scotty's performance.

Give it up NolanHasAPlan, you're not funny.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Here's Kawakami's take:

Quote:
With the Big Show, of course, you never know–he likes to keep his options open. One of those options, at least in his mind, might be coming in to run the 49ers.

But now that the Seahawks have already dumped Ruskell and aren’t exactly denying that Holmgren could be the next guy… I seriously doubt the 49ers will jump into the Holmgren market.

The timing is wrong, the price tag would be much too high, and Jed York is kind of liking his own role as president and his line of authority down to GM Scot McCloughan, execs Lal Heneghan, Paraag Marathe and Tommy Gamble and coach Mike Singletary.

All of that would be shaken up by any Holmgren arrival. Now, the Yorks might have to blow it all up, anyway, if the team flounders in the last 5 weeks of the season.

But we know the Yorks: They always base their decisions on the most optimistic developments possible, then go into shock-panic only after the fracture splits everything apart.

There’s never an early-warning plan about upcoming crises.

At this point, the most optimistic possible: Go 4-1 or 5-0, get into the playoffs, yippee, who needs that Holmgren guy anyway?

I think Jed York would consider Holmgren–if things go wrong. Holmgren is a smart guy with instant Bay Area and NFL credibility.

I think York would have to think about Holmgren, maybe as a supplement McCloughan (who worked with Holmgren previously) and possibly to help out Singletary on the big-picture ideas about team building and offensive philosophy.

However, it’s not going to happen if there are other teams actively bidding for Holmgren. And it’s not going to happen when there’s a chance that the 49ers can make it through with the front-office format that they have: Jed, McCloughan at the top.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/12/03/morning-1-2-3-holmgrens-dance-warriors-march-towards-nets-clash-and-more/
Mike Sando

nuf said.

Again a GM is not just SCOUT-IN-CHIEF of the draft. It's good drafting because Mike Sando says so? And just because you "draft a starter" that makes you good or improves the record how? A blanket statement without context to position. HA! And many of you were calling Smith a bust just 6 weeks ago. Please. The jury is certainly still out on that.

Bottom line -

Period.

The record and play of our team reflects that we have improved after every offseason. 3 years ago we would haven't even thought we could go to Indy and Minn and win and we had that chance this year. We have impoved drastically since 05 and that is what you ask for. We were 1 yad away from the playoffs last year. Scotty can draft IMO. Just ask the Panthers LOL.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Mike Sando

nuf said.

Bottom line -

Period.

Wait--a GM is responsible for the coaching of his players? Since when has that been a criteria? I'm not saying that Scot M is a great GM, but he's not a horrible one either.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Mike Sando

nuf said.

Bottom line -

Period.

Wait--a GM is responsible for the coaching of his players? Since when has that been a criteria? I'm not saying that Scot M is a great GM, but he's not a horrible one either.

Where did you read "a GM is responsible for coaching his players?" Really where is this written at all - or anything close to it?
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Mike Sando

nuf said.

Bottom line -

Period.

The record and play of our team reflects that we have improved after every offseason. 3 years ago we would haven't even thought we could go to Indy and Minn and win and we had that chance this year. We have impoved drastically since 05 and that is what you ask for. We were 1 yad away from the playoffs last year. Scotty can draft IMO. Just ask the Panthers LOL.

This may be true that we've incrementally improved since 2005, however I compare McCloughan to other GMs around the league. I look at their decisions and I look at his. We weren't one yad away from the playoffs last year. Where did that come from? We had to beat the Dolphins and we didn't do that - not to mention another collapse from the OL and the defense (no pass rusher).

Do you guys give Alex Smith as much time and as many excuses?
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.

I have to agree, and credit where credit is due...Willis, Crabtree, Gore, Staley & JSmith were good signings. VD was suspect until Singletary came along, but I guess he gets the credit being the GM.
I would also say he is avg, but do we want avg for 4+ yrs.

On a more imp note, I just hope we make the playoffs this year.

Well im not ready just yet to go back to below avg and having to cut all are good players because of a lot of dead money.
For those people who don't like Scot, lets hear some solutions. Who do you want for a GM? Rather than talk sh*t, come up with a solution to the problem.
Originally posted by 9erred:
In Scotty defense, it is hard to be a GM for so many coach's and coordinators. You draft on a system in place. Why do you think Pittsburg kicks arse in drafting, they know what kind of team they are, what system they run,m and they get players that fit that mold.

The niners have been so unfocused since Mariuccis departure, that no GM can draft or sign good FA's when you do not know the type of system they want.

Gotta agree here. But...if Scotty is incharge of hiring and firing coaches, he has to make sure he and they are on the same page. For instance, if he goes out and drafts guys like Smith, Davis, Crabtree etc. The coach has to play these guys the right way. Not just run the damn ball, and make the GM look like a fool when we cant, and have another losing record. I hope all this is understood now, and stays this way.
Originally posted by steiber:
For those people who don't like Scot, lets hear some solutions. Who do you want for a GM? Rather than talk sh*t, come up with a solution to the problem.
This list is a year old but you get the idea-
Group 1 (Rich McKay model)
This group of candidates has done everything required of a GM; there is no learning curve. Show them where their office is and they are up and running.

Charlie Casserly: Former GM of the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, Casserly is now working on CBS' "NFL Today" show.
James Harris: Just resigned front office executive of the New York Jets, Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Ron Hill: Former front-office executive for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, Hill is presently assistant director of football operations for the NFL.

Mike Lombardi: Former front office executive for the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, in addition to club experience with the San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles.

Carl Peterson: Just resigned as president of the Kansas City Chiefs after 20 years. He is well respected in NFL circles and may want to continue his career with another team.

Floyd Reese: Former general manager of the Tennessee Titans for 13 years, Reese is now working in television.

Group 2 (Bill Parcells model)
If Parcells can leave coaching and still turn around the Miami Dolphins from the front office, then so can a number of former head coaches who have the experience to run a franchise. These three candidates could find the right coach to run the team in the same image and likeness they had when they coached, and all three have a solid working knowledge of personnel.

Dan Reeves: Former head coach of the Denver Broncos, New York Giants and Atlanta Falcons.

Marty Schottenheimer: Former head coach of the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers.

Dick Vermeil: Former head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs.

Group 3 (Jerry Angelo model)

Stephan Savoia / Associated Press
Expect to hear New England VP of player personnel Scott Pioli's name mentioned a lot in the offseason.

This may be the strongest group, and it also would take some compensation to get these guys out of their present positions. If they don't have total control of the draft and the hiring and firing of the head coach, it's possible to get them. Any one of these five would be excellent to fix a franchise in need of leadership. New England's Scott Pioli is the hottest name in the league right now, and Pittsburgh's Kevin Colbert would be a steal if you could get him out of Pittsburgh.

Kevin Colbert: Director of football operations for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Tom Heckert: General manager of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Bill Kuharich: Vice president of player personnel for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Randy Mueller: Senior executive for the San Diego Chargers.

Scott Pioli: Vice president of player personnel for the New England Patriots.

Group 4 (Thomas Dimitroff model)
The people in this group are all from successful organizations and could impress an owner in an interview. They have been trained by high-profile executives and should carry the ability to bring the philosophy of a winning program to a new club. No one really knew Patriots personnel man Tom Dimitroff before his video interview with the Falcons last year, and now Atlanta has clinched a playoff spot, thanks largely to Dimitroff's first draft pick, Matt Ryan. Roll the dice and that could happen again this year with someone from this group.

Mark Dominik: Director of pro personnel for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

John Dorsey: Director of college scouting for the Green Bay Packers.

Brian Gaine: Assistant director of player personnel for the Miami Dolphins.

Ron Hughes: College scouting coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Scott Studwell: Director of college scouting for the Minnesota Vikings.

Doug Whaley: Pro personnel coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

By no means is this a list of the only 20 people capable of running an organization, but it's a good start when it comes to finding the right guy to run a club.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 5, 2009 at 15:42:33 ]
^^ Impressive post. Too bad it was toooooooo long for my brain.