There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scot McCoughan on the hot seat??

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
^^ Jones will make an impact next year after Battle and Bruce are gone.

Whether Jones will make an impact or not still remains to be seen. The injury set him back quite a bit.

-9fA

Agreed... and I have a real issue with a so-called talented WR not being able to get on the field with a WR-starved team searching for offensive playmakers.
Wow, you are a hard person to please. Balmer and Rachel are only in the second year and are developing into good players. Snyder is playing better since he's getting time to play. If you think a GM is going to be right on every pick, you are dreaming. Go back and look at the drafts during the Walsh years, he was right as much as he was wrong on picks. Overall, Scot has done a good job and this team has so much more talent on it than five years ago when he took it over. This team is busting with young talent that just needs time to develop. Oh no it's the end of the world he missed on Jackson, so did every other team who passed on him. Who do you think are the top three GM's in football?

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.

Balmer, Bass, Rachel, Snyder, the 3-4 round WR picks I forget the names that's how bad they were! Missing on Jackson from Cal and Clements was not worth the contract he got!
He has done some good things and nothing that he has done has made us sink any lower but I don't see him building a roster that would get us back to the top!
His 2008 draft should be a reason for his firing, but i doubt it would happen. York Jr. loves Scotty and his Mom and dad are too cheap and stupid to get a real GM.
Originally posted by steiber:
Wow, you are a hard person to please. Balmer and Rachel are only in the second year and are developing into good players. Snyder is playing better since he's getting time to play. If you think a GM is going to be right on every pick, you are dreaming. Go back and look at the drafts during the Walsh years, he was right as much as he was wrong on picks. Overall, Scot has done a good job and this team has so much more talent on it than five years ago when he took it over. This team is busting with young talent that just needs time to develop. Oh no it's the end of the world he missed on Jackson, so did every other team who passed on him. Who do you think are the top three GM's in football?

With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.

Balmer, Bass, Rachel, Snyder, the 3-4 round WR picks I forget the names that's how bad they were! Missing on Jackson from Cal and Clements was not worth the contract he got!
He has done some good things and nothing that he has done has made us sink any lower but I don't see him building a roster that would get us back to the top!

The bottom line is we had to overpay for Clements because our team had no market value. With Sing here and the emerging talent players will want to come to the 49ers.

You can't hit on every pick and I think we've had very good drafts since Mac has been in office.

Remember, this team was a desert of talent when he first came in here. We're almost there. We're about 4 pieces away from owning the decade. LG, RT, SS, PR.

Mac is great!
if he does not draft OT in 1st round then yes he should be fired
Originally posted by English:

I don't buy the overpaid on Clements thing at all. That's what FA's are. You have to overpay for them. The Redskins paid $100 Million for a D Linemen. That's what FA is. A bunch of teams competing to drive up the market prices of players. Hoping to add that one player who will help. And yes you overpay. But you have to if you want to be active in the FA market. That's just the way it works. I don't care if we overpay. Just get more good players on this team.

DJax a lot of teams missed on. He was like 168 - 170 lbs. People didn't think he would hold up. And BTW we still don't know if he will over the long term. But you could list a huge # of teams that missed on him so I don't buy it's just Scot M. and the 49ers who missed him.

I said he needs to pick better linemen. Both O. and D. Those have been his worst picks with the exception of Staley.

Seems to do a great job of covering the D line with FA.

O line. Not so good. Error of pick or poor player development? Dunno, yet

The D Line in FA has gotten much better. Justin Smith is great and Aubrayo Franklin is having a career year.

I can't say enough about the acquisition of Justin Smith. I had my doubts, but this
guy has a motor and has done well in the 3-4.

Franklin has done very well this year. Let's just hope this isn't a mirage because of contract year.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if he does not draft OT in 1st round then yes he should be fired

2nd round would be appropriate if need be.
The people on here who are b****ing about Balmer and Rachal need to wake up. Not many interior linemen light it up in their first several years. If they did, then most likely they were drafted in the 1st 15 spots of the first round.

I don't know what games you are watching but Balmer has made strides this year in a backup role. You may not understand this, but with the first 3 and Ray MacDonald playing well it's hard to shine. Plus, in a 3-4 a lineman doesn't have the same stats that a LB would have.

As for Rachal, how many RTs has he played next too? If you want to talk disappointment on the o-line, maybe you ought to be talking about Baas.
Rachal for all you know it alls won't be a bust.

Maybe when this offense decides what kind of team they are going to be this will
become clearer.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Holmgren will go back to Seattle......and ruin the team.

Amen. I have never understood why people clamor for him to return to the team in a personnel role...he was a good coach--not GM--and we shouldn't forget where McClueless learned everything he knows....
Assertion without fact. We're not asking Scott to be right on every pick. He needs to be CLOSE on most picks and avoid dumb decisions.

Marvel Smith move was a dumb decisions. I wasted time and energy and when it was all said and done, it resulted in a poorer OL. Adam Snyder is not the answer and the fact that he allowed Snyder to go through a entire TC without no real competition is a joke. Sims was never going to be an effective RT - that's not his spot. He's a role player as was a LT with the Raiders. Brandon Jones was a move that even the position coaches didn't agree with. Outside of Isaac Bruce, the 49ers haven't signed a good FA WR for years. The only reason why Bruce worked out for a season was because of Martz. We knew Jennings wasn't the answer for going on 2 or 3 seasons now and what have we done about it? David Baas? The guy who's been injured every season since being drafted? Sure he plays now but is not consistent. Scott has utterly failed the stability of the team by neglecting the OL in a way that could have been completely avoidable. We bring in an army of WRs and a couple of OL guys, one of which is a former DL player, the other a project (Boone). In the face of this we are a running team that has more WRs than the Colts. Okay so I won't talk about Rachal, but I can talk about Baas and Snyder. Allen was Turner's suggestion and Jennings was targeted by Nolan. So if Scott is going to take credit for Allen and Jennings, he has to be responsible for keeping Kwame as long as he did and letting Smiley walk.

Originally posted by steiber:

[ Edited by NinerGM on Dec 4, 2009 at 11:27:24 ]
Mike Sando

By my count, the 49ers have drafted more current starters since 2005 than any team in the league. That reflects some good drafting. It also reflects the pitiful state of the 49ers before the 2005 draft.

nuf said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/10284/ruskell-vs-the-nfc-west-on-draft-day
Originally posted by cNiner:
Mike Sando

By my count, the 49ers have drafted more current starters since 2005 than any team in the league. That reflects some good drafting. It also reflects the pitiful state of the 49ers before the 2005 draft.

nuf said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/10284/ruskell-vs-the-nfc-west-on-draft-day

NFC West draft scorecard
The chart shows a draft-related snapshot for NFC West teams. I left blank the NFL averages for the final two categories because I could not immediately verify the information.

Draft pick category Cardinals 49ers Rams Seahawks NFL avg.
All picks still on roster 27 32 21 28 25.5
All picks currently starting 14 16 10 12 12.6
Starters drafted since 2005 7 13 8 10 9.1
Starters drafted pre-2005 7 3 1 2 3.7
Pro Bowlers since 2005, active or IR 0 2 0 1 --
Pro Bowlers pre-2005, active or IR 4 0 2 1 --
Mike Sando

nuf said.

I was just about to post that. Geez some Niner fans are NEVER content
Originally posted by kronik:
Isn't there plenty of these McCloughan threads? Use the search button.

Yeah. What he said.

~Ceadder
Mike Sando

nuf said.

Thank you.....I swear people argue just for the sake of arguing or god forbid there just that ignorant......