There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scot McCoughan on the hot seat??

Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.

Agree!

Also agree. It's rare that a GM makes ALL the right moves. We've made some good acquisitions in the past couple of years, but we've also made some errant ones.

If McC made ONLY bad decisions, or the majority bad, then we have something to worry about. Let's just put it this way: The Raiders and Redskins have done a horrible job in past years. The Niners don't even compare to those horrible franchises.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.

Balmer, Bass, Rachel, Snyder, the 3-4 round WR picks I forget the names that's how bad they were! Missing on Jackson from Cal and Clements was not worth the contract he got!

He has done some good things and nothing that he has done has made us sink any lower but I don't see him building a roster that would get us back to the top!

I don't buy the overpaid on Clements thing at all. That's what FA's are. You have to overpay for them. The Redskins paid $100 Million for a D Linemen. That's what FA is. A bunch of teams competing to drive up the market prices of players. Hoping to add that one player who will help. And yes you overpay. But you have to if you want to be active in the FA market. That's just the way it works. I don't care if we overpay. Just get more good players on this team.

DJax a lot of teams missed on. He was like 168 - 170 lbs. People didn't think he would hold up. And BTW we still don't know if he will over the long term. But you could list a huge # of teams that missed on him so I don't buy it's just Scot M. and the 49ers who missed him.

I said he needs to pick better linemen. Both O. and D. Those have been his worst picks with the exception of Staley.

Seems to do a great job of covering the D line with FA.

O line. Not so good. Error of pick or poor player development? Dunno, yet
Originally posted by English:

Balmer, Bass, Rachel, Snyder, the 3-4 round WR picks I forget the names that's how bad they were! Missing on Jackson from Cal and Clements was not worth the contract he got!

He has done some good things and nothing that he has done has made us sink any lower but I don't see him building a roster that would get us back to the top!

I don't buy the overpaid on Clements thing at all. That's what FA's are. You have to overpay for them. The Redskins paid $100 Million for a D Linemen. That's what FA is. A bunch of teams competing to drive up the market prices of players. Hoping to add that one player who will help. And yes you overpay. But you have to if you want to be active in the FA market. That's just the way it works. I don't care if we overpay. Just get more good players on this team.

DJax a lot of teams missed on. He was like 168 - 170 lbs. People didn't think he would hold up. And BTW we still don't know if he will over the long term. But you could list a huge # of teams that missed on him so I don't buy it's just Scot M. and the 49ers who missed him.

I said he needs to pick better linemen. Both O. and D. Those have been his worst picks with the exception of Staley.

Seems to do a great job of covering the D line with FA.

O line. Not so good. Error of pick or poor player development? Dunno, yet

The D Line in FA has gotten much better. Justin Smith is great and Aubrayo Franklin is having a career year.

No team that missed on DJax needed a WR or even an Offensive weapon as bad as we did! Also if the "Best Player Available" in scot M's eyes was Balmer we are in serious trouble!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Holmgren will go back to Seattle......and ruin the team.

Exactly add to that fact that Mora Jr isn't a good head coach imo. Plus Hassleback is at the end of his road.

and Scott should be on the hot seat with or without a Niners playoff appearance
He will weasel out because, he can say that his first few mistakes were Nolans fault and he has only been sucking alone for a couple of seasons! As for Holmgren, no thanks, lets look to find a young talented GM, and build a massive college scouting program, and hire me as a college scout cause that would be cool for me!

No team that missed on DJax needed a WR or even an Offensive weapon as bad as we did! Also if the "Best Player Available" in scot M's eyes was Balmer we are in serious trouble!

BS. Plenty of other teams needed a WR real bad.

Balmer is one guy. Even Jimmy Johnson missed on some draft picks.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM ]

Agree totally. He needs to hit on some Olinemen. That's been his biggest shortcoming so far. And besides, he only picks the talent, the coaches need to do their part to develop it. And as we have seen, Nolan wasn't all that great at developing talent with A. Smith as Exhibit 1A.
Theres no reason for scotty to be fired if we missed the playoffs. He's only been our real GM for 2 years. Give the guy some time....I mean people b***hing about him missing on some draft picks like that doesn't happen to every team. To me he has done more good than bad.....we have talent now....that's his job and it's the coaches job to figure out how to use them. People b***h about Balmer but in reality at the time it made sense....we just lost BY, Franklin hadn't stepped up, Mcdonald was hurt that year and they didn't know how he was going to look when he got back so it made sense to pick a guy who can play DE or NT.

What about the late round jewels like: R. Smith, Goldson, Morgan, Haralson, M-Rob, T. Brown, N. Davis and S. Mikilop.... does that count for nothing???

He got Crabtree last year and we have 2 first round picks going into next year and the pass rusher E. Brown that people wanted doesn't look so hot....so shouldn't he get more love than hate???

We as Niner fans are truly Whiners........!!!!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:12 PM ]
With Smith playing well (early for full judgment, i know) and Davis lighting it up, the only really questionable first round draft pick has been Balmer.

Even in Balmer's case, with Franklin playing as well as he has and Smith holding down RDE, there aren't many opportunities to get on the field.

He has missed on offensive linemen, but this roster has come a LONG ways since 2005. I don't think that's he's on the hot seat, but he definitely needs to get this line turned around.

-9fA

Not as bad as us!
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Theres no reason for scotty to be fired if we missed the playoffs. He's only been our real GM for 2 years. Give the guy some time....I mean people b***hing about him missing on some draft picks like that doesn't happen to every team. To me he has done more good than bad.....we have talent now....that's his job and it's the coaches job to figure out to use them. People b***h about Balmer but in reality at the time it made sense....we just lost BY, Franklin hadn't stepped up, Mcdonald was hurt that year and they didn't know how he was going to look when he got back so it made sense to pick a guy who can play DE or NT.

What about the late round jewels like: R. Smith, Goldson, Morgan, Haralson, M-Rob, N. Davis and S. Mikilop.... does that count for nothing???

He got Crabtree last year and we have 2 first round picks going into next year and the pass rusher E. Brown that people wanted doesn't look so hot....so shouldn't he got more love than hate???

We as Niner fans are truly Whiners........!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Seattle's GM or someone in the front office just resigned didn't they, that might be where holmgren goes.

Tim Ruskell. Current Seahawks GM
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A

Not as bad as us!

***INTERESTING FACTS*****

-Holmgren has recently built a house in Santa Cruz county

-On draft day Mike Nolan seemed to be the one excited about Balmer and I never
heard the same type of endorsement for Balmer from Scot.

-Scot's free agent offensive signings have been terrible
(DJAX, Bryant Johnson, Antonio Bryant, Foster, all 1 and done. and Brandon Jones
doesn't look like he has a spot next year)
[ Edited by tmg808 on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:21 PM ]
^^ Jones will make an impact next year after Battle and Bruce are gone.

Whether Jones will make an impact or not still remains to be seen. The injury set him back quite a bit.

-9fA