There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Scot McCoughan on the hot seat??

• tmg808
  • Info N/A
If the 49ers miss the playoffs does it make more since that Scot McCoughan be the one fired rather than even looking at Singletray. With Holmgren possibly getting back into football as a GM, do you think the 49ers would pull the trigger?? Does McCoughan deserve to stay and see this out a little longer??
Holmgren will go back to Seattle......and ruin the team.
Seattle's GM or someone in the front office just resigned didn't they, that might be where holmgren goes.
Isn't there plenty of these McCloughan threads? Use the search button.
Scot's on the hot seat, and he also knows it. He said somethng to that effect after the Nolan firing.
I think we need a new GM even if we make the playoffs...he seems like a nice guy, but not sure if has the skills to be a good GM. He seems very uncomfortable in interviews, so unsure what to make of him.
With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.
Originally posted by tmg808:
If the 49ers miss the playoffs does it make more since that Scot McCoughan be the one fired rather than even looking at Singletray. With Holmgren possibly getting back into football as a GM, do you think the 49ers would pull the trigger?? Does McCoughan deserve to stay and see this out a little longer??

what are you talking about , hit and missess , Gore , VD after three years, Willis , Alex work in progress , Morgan , the other TE forgoet his name then then what ?
  • quann4
  • Info N/A
Hot Seat? Why the heck would he be on the hot seat? He took over a completely depleted roster. He should not even be close to the hot seat. If York Jr. has his head on tight he will keep Scotty MC.

Our drafts have been great for the most part. Alex is finally here (to some extend), Gore, Willis, Davis, Crabtree......teams would die for that talent. Never mind bringing in Smith & Clements. The dude did a lot of good and of course you are going to miss on some guys but give me a team that over the past 4 years has produced this many young pro bowl talents?

Scott MC stays!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
With Scot M. there is lots of hate on the WZ. But to be fair he has been terrible at picking linemen (both O and D) but he has been sometimes good at other postions. The exception is Staley.

Crabtree, Gore, Willis and VD come to mind for example. And signing Clements and Justin Smith were good signings.

The guy hasn't been as terrible as some on the WZ would lead you to believe. He's probably been about average. He could improve a lot on line picks.

I have to agree, and credit where credit is due...Willis, Crabtree, Gore, Staley & JSmith were good signings. VD was suspect until Singletary came along, but I guess he gets the credit being the GM.
I would also say he is avg, but do we want avg for 4+ yrs.

On a more imp note, I just hope we make the playoffs this year.
I don't think anyone will be fired this year. McCloughan's bust draft picks (Davis, Smith, and others) are all "flourishing" right now. Let's face it the expectation was an 8-8 9-7 playoff run. I would be shocked to see McCloughan fired. Just looking at it objectively. Now is also not the time for major shakeups. Let's also not forget that the playoffs are still a possibility. Last season was basically characterized as "All Most" because of a flubbed play against Arizona. Well this season if we come up a day late and a dollar short we've got 4 or 5 almosts and counting.
Last season we bumbled our way into the 3rd/2nd tier of the NFL. This season we clearly belong in the middle and have bumbled our way out of the 1st tier and are clinging for dear life to the 2nd. That's improvement in my book (modest improvement) but improvement. Plus the whole idea was to finally have some continuity for a bit. I don't see Jed backing off of that formula right now. Jimmy Rae isn't going anywhere, Sing isn't going anywhere, we need to make sure that Manusky and Rathman don't go anywhere, and I'll eat a shoe if McCloughan looses his job.

Balmer, Bass, Rachel, Snyder, the 3-4 round WR picks I forget the names that's how bad they were! Missing on Jackson from Cal and Clements was not worth the contract he got!

He has done some good things and nothing that he has done has made us sink any lower but I don't see him building a roster that would get us back to the top!
In Scotty defense, it is hard to be a GM for so many coach's and coordinators. You draft on a system in place. Why do you think Pittsburg kicks arse in drafting, they know what kind of team they are, what system they run,m and they get players that fit that mold.

The niners have been so unfocused since Mariuccis departure, that no GM can draft or sign good FA's when you do not know the type of system they want.

Agree!
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Balmer, Bass, Rachel, Snyder, the 3-4 round WR picks I forget the names that's how bad they were! Missing on Jackson from Cal and Clements was not worth the contract he got!

He has done some good things and nothing that he has done has made us sink any lower but I don't see him building a roster that would get us back to the top!

I don't buy the overpaid on Clements thing at all. That's what FA's are. You have to overpay for them. The Redskins paid $100 Million for a D Linemen. That's what FA is. A bunch of teams competing to drive up the market prices of players. Hoping to add that one player who will help. And yes you overpay. But you have to if you want to be active in the FA market. That's just the way it works. I don't care if we overpay. Just get more good players on this team.

DJax a lot of teams missed on. He was like 168 - 170 lbs. People didn't think he would hold up. And BTW we still don't know if he will over the long term. But you could list a huge # of teams that missed on him so I don't buy it's just Scot M. and the 49ers who missed him.

I said he needs to pick better linemen. Both O. and D. Those have been his worst picks with the exception of Staley.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:29 PM ]