LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

The spread offense and the coaches' future

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by carlgo:
So, game after game the offense just plain sucks. Most people blame this on Hill and the OL, plus Sing's prized offense.

In desperation, Hill is benched. The offense is better, but not good.

Then, again in desperation, the team goes to the spread when way behind and did quite well on a couple of occasions. Still, Sing/Raye continued with their traditional offense.

Then, all of the skill position players (all, evidently!) went to Sing to get him to change to the spread.

Sing tells them to go see Raye, it was Raye's call.

So, they go to Raye and the offense seems to have changed.

Sing seems really detached from this sort of offense. You can see his expression on the sideline. I don't think he likes this at all and would go back to smash-mouth in a second if it wasn't for all the complaints and booing and such (which always leads to unemployment).

What we don't know is whether York may have called Sing on what was happening with the offense he was running.

Can a reluctantly adaptive HC and OC really bring the team up to the level of the Saints, etc, teams with creative offenses, or will they be mired down in quaint philosophies that only get them so far?

Well, to answer the question I'll just say I don't know. No one does. Time will tell. I do think Sing has done well adapting to our players. For a coach that can't be an easy thing to do, especially one with his in your face philosophy coming into the season. The real test will be next year with a revamped line. That will be when your question gets answered but I would guess that by the end of the season this will undoubtedly be Alex Smith's offense and not Frank Gore's. With that in mind it will make for an extremely potent attack.
Originally posted by tmg808:
Originally posted by carlgo:
So, game after game the offense just plain sucks. Most people blame this on Hill and the OL, plus Sing's prized offense.

In desperation, Hill is benched. The offense is better, but not good.

Then, again in desperation, the team goes to the spread when way behind and did quite well on a couple of occasions. Still, Sing/Raye continued with their traditional offense.

Then, all of the skill position players (all, evidently!) went to Sing to get him to change to the spread.

Sing tells them to go see Raye, it was Raye's call.

So, they go to Raye and the offense seems to have changed.

Sing seems really detached from this sort of offense. You can see his expression on the sideline. I don't think he likes this at all and would go back to smash-mouth in a second if it wasn't for all the complaints and booing and such (which always leads to unemployment).

What we don't know is whether York may have called Sing on what was happening with the offense he was running.

Can a reluctantly adaptive HC and OC really bring the team up to the level of the Saints, etc, teams with creative offenses, or will they be mired down in quaint philosophies that only get them so far?

Don't Jump on the Saints ban wagon too fast, we have seen a lot of high power offenses that look a lot like this team, not win the superbowl. Remember the years that the Pats offense wasn't high powered was when they were winning superbowls.

Yeah, I agree. The Saints are vulnerable specifically to ground attack teams. I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington beat them this week. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if both unbeaten teams lost this week. Everyone is on the Saint's bandwagon but failed to see that that was the absolute worst safety play I've ever seen in a game by the Pats. Minnesota is the best team in my opinion by a tall margin. Favre typically falls apart in December over the past few years but he typically throws 20 picks a year too. If they continue playing the way they are no team will beat them and they'll cruise to a superbowl victory.
Share 49ersWebzone