LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

49ers hire Dwight Clark as..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by matt49er:
we need to bring back as many of the great former 9ers as possible.

In the right positions. Just because you were a great player doesn't make you 1) a good administator; 2) a good coach; 3) a good person in general.

I'm not trying to bash any of our former players but we as fans shouldn't be blind to the fact that ever former hall of fame player might not make the best GM or assistant coach etc.

Clark has already been a Niner executive. He had pretty high level responsibilities under Policy with both the Niners and the Browns. Those last couple of years under Policy were not good years for the Niners (bad free-agent signings, weak drafts, salary cap hell) and both Policy and Clark got a lot of criticism. They didn't faire any better with the Browns. Loved Clark as a player, but I will be interested to see (past on his past adminstrative track record - albeit, in Policy's shadow) just what he will be doing for the Niners. But it would be great to see him around the stadium.

Well put! he was crap in the biz aspect for the 49ers. yes he was part of that monster that got us in such $$$$ trouble
Originally posted by wailers15:
Didn't he run the Browns into the ground with Carmen Policy?

YEs & us! he also screwed us hard on his way out! good player horrid business man. this is crap! i've hated him ever since he left for the browns. that was a good day!

this. good player, but a poor business man. whats he really known for besides the catch and running two team into the ground?
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by wailers15:

YEs & us! he also screwed us hard on his way out! good player horrid business man. this is crap! i've hated him ever since he left for the browns. that was a good day!

this. good player, but a poor business man. whats he really known for besides the catch and running two team into the ground?

Yes.

I hate this Dwight Clark:

But LOVE this Dwight Clark:
Is he going to be our version of Isiah Thomas?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He may not be an ideal football manager, but he may be an interesting candidate for the consultant role.
Originally posted by GEEK:
He may not be an ideal football manager, but he may be an interesting candidate for the consultant role.

you are truly a GEEK! j/k
Originally posted by GEEK:

Yes.. from what I hear Dwight knows how to wine, dine, and the other too... Schmoozing corporate types seem right up his alley.
Any chance this is Jed's way of getting Clark involve in sell/closing the stadium deal...

Yup, right after the two of them ran the 49ers into the ground.
  • Veteran
I bet Paraage made an elaborate spread sheet to justify hiring Clark.

Wow, this doesn't give me a lot of confidence as to Boy Jed's business acumen. People must have short memories. Dwight=bad.
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
49ers hired Dwight Clark as a business consultant to focus on sponsorship development, corporate hospitality and community investment.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Jed York has a knack for making up some crazy titles.

Didn't he draft Jim Drunken-Miller #1? and then JJ Stokes the following year?

No...

Slowkes was drafted in 95', Druck came in 97'
Originally posted by matt49er:
we need to bring back as many of the great former 9ers as possible.

"Clark will focus on special projects relating to corporate hospitality, community investment, premium seating and the new stadium sales effort, according to the 49ers."

It seems to me his hire is to focus on the new stadium and getting it done. He will probably be involved in dealing with investors to get support for the stadium as well as help with the corporate sales of the luxury boxes which of course is a huge source of revenue. He may even be involved in the naming rights as well.

I don't know why some of you are getting upset about this. Its not like he is handling the salary cap.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
49ers hired Dwight Clark as a business consultant to focus on sponsorship development, corporate hospitality and community investment.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Jed York has a knack for making up some crazy titles.

Just keep him away from anything to do with personnel management. He and Carmen didn't do a very good job with the Browns.
Share 49ersWebzone