LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Great Position Coaching Cannot Be Overlooked

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Last night during the Saints game, the announcers opined that Curtis Johnson of the Saints was the finest WR coach in the NFL. When I checked his record and compared it to our Jerry Sullivan, I was flabbergasted that there could be such a huge disparity in results and performance. As the Saints WR coach he has developed: Devery Henderson, Marques Colston, Lance Moore and Robert Meacham. While coaching at the U of Miami and San Diego St., he was responsible for the development of: Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Yatil Green and Darnay Scott. Bio

Sullivan's references on the Niner Bio are David Boston and Anquan Boldin. That's it, with not one Niners receiver mentioned in his four year stint. Amazing.
Sully Bio

The moral of the story, great position coaches are worth their weight in gold. Just look at what Mike Johnson has done with Alex, no accident.
Didn't he res-erect Antonio Bryant's career
As they read the list of names that the Saints WR coach had worked with and seeing what he's done with his current group makes me wonder why the hell Sullivan is still here.
Quote:

Not quite. In 2005 with the Browns he had 69 catches for 1,009 yards.
In 2006 with the Niners, he had 40 catches for 733 yards.
the 9ers need a new OL/WR/DB coaches
Hey, look , Dave, i am with you all the way on the ineptitude of our WR coach. He has not been good enough to keep 4 yrs. Nor even 2. But he is not our worst position coach. That prize is all locked up by our OL coach, if you can call him that. Never has a specialty coach performed as poorly as our OL coach. And those are 2 guys who have no business being here next yr. (my opinion only).
Quote:
matt49er
the 9ers need a new OL/WR/DB coaches

pasodoc9er
Hey, look , Dave, i am with you all the way on the ineptitude of our WR coach. He has not been good enough to keep 4 yrs. Nor even 2. But he is not our worst position coach. That prize is all locked up by our OL coach, if you can call him that. Never has a specialty coach performed as poorly as our OL coach. And those are 2 guys who have no business being here next yr. (my opinion only).

Amen to both of you. In complete agreeement.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Bryant was always good, the problem with him is he's a moron. That's why we let him go.
Wouldn't mind taking a shot at this guy for O-line coach in 2010.

After watching his boys maul people week after week I'm a believer.
Originally posted by waiting4number6:

Bryant was always good, the problem with him is he's a moron. That's why we let him go.

He may be a moron, but there were some pretty moronic decisions being made by our FO at that point as well (and lets face it, the dumb moves have continued... Rossum anyone?). IMO, you don't release your best WR because of an alleged offense that he doesn't even get convicted of. In fact, later when said player immediately starts lighting it up with another team, firings are in order.

Originally posted by thojess:

He may be a moron, but there were some pretty moronic decisions being made by our FO at that point as well (and lets face it, the dumb moves have continued... Rossum anyone?). IMO, you don't release your best WR because of an alleged offense that he doesn't even get convicted of. In fact, later when said player immediately starts lighting it up with another team, firings are in order.

Sure you do unless your a team like the Raiders who don't care about having morons on your team. The one good thing about this franchise in recent years is the classy players and coaches, the one good thing Nolan did was that, having a moron-free zone. And we have our 1,2,3 WR's for the next decade, so we didn't lose anything in the end anyways.

Sure you do unless your a team like the Raiders who don't care about having morons on your team. The one good thing about this franchise in recent years is the classy players and coaches, the one good thing Nolan did was that, having a moron-free zone. And we have our 1,2,3 WR's for the next decade, so we didn't lose anything in the end anyways.

A bunch of "classy guys" who went 25-55 over the last 5 years. Hmmm 55 losses in 5 years? What was that s**t you were just saying about not losing anything? Yeah you're right Moron free should be a THE priority... then winning games.

A bunch of "classy guys" who went 25-55 over the last 5 years. Hmmm 55 losses in 5 years? What was that s**t you were just saying about not losing anything? Yeah you're right Moron free should be a THE priority... then winning games.

I said that was the ONE thing Nolan did rite. And I guess your not of can of guys like Michael Crabtree cuz in the end we didn't lose anything. Even if we didn't get guys like Crabtree, being a Niner fan, I wouldn't want a guy like Bryant on my team, we got rid of TO for his idiocy, we're not that type of team we never have been and I don't want to start now.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
he doesn't start young receivers which is retarded..theres no way crabtree would be playing right now if sullivan had any say in the matter
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
As they read the list of names that the Saints WR coach had worked with and seeing what he's done with his current group makes me wonder why the hell Sullivan is still here.

I agree
Share 49ersWebzone