There are 264 users in the forums

Over under on VDs TDs

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Over under on VDs TDs

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Joecool:
TE's have high receiving stats due to 2 of the following reasons:

1. The QB can't see the entire field well.
2. WR's suck

I have a feeling it's usually the combination of both. TE's on a team with Good QB's and WR are only needs as an insurance option to spread a defense thinner and frustrate the crap out of a DC who thinks he has everything covered. That's exactly how Walsh used Jones and how Novacek was used. If a TE is getting high numbers, then the TE is the best talent being thrown the ball or the QB hesitates to throw outside the hash marks. You don't want either of these scenarios.

So you're telling me that Peytong Manning can't see the entire field and that his wide receivers suck?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2. WR's suck

I have a feeling it's usually the combination of both. TE's on a team with Good QB's and WR are only needs as an insurance option to spread a defense thinner and frustrate the crap out of a DC who thinks he has everything covered. That's exactly how Walsh used Jones and how Novacek was used. If a TE is getting high numbers, then the TE is the best talent being thrown the ball or the QB hesitates to throw outside the hash marks. You don't want either of these scenarios.

It's so funny how you always spin stuff. The Chargers throw to Gates because he is damn good. Same thing with Davis and the 49ers.

Our WR's are still underwhelming. I agree with you there. Crabtree is a little overhyped on this board because we are used to having terrible WR's. He's no Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson.

I'm still not convinced he will be a domination type of #1 WR. He may be more like a really good #2. Or a poor mans #1. But I doubt he will ever be in the top 5 WR's in the game. I'm not sure if he will be top 10 but that is possible. He's not that huge and physically imposing. He has good hands and runs good routes. But he may be a slight bit overrated on this board. We don't know yet because he was just a rookie.

just watch, as Alex gets better, VD's stats will decrease but he will be more effective with third down catches converted to first downs and other critical situations.

You put the ball in the hands of your playmakers!

And Vernon is a playmaker!

Nothing else to read into here!
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2. WR's suck

It's so funny how you always spin stuff. The Chargers throw to Gates because he is damn good. Same thing with Davis and the 49ers.

Our WR's are still underwhelming. I agree with you there. Crabtree is a little overhyped on this board because we are used to having terrible WR's. He's no Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson.

I'm still not convinced he will be a domination type of #1 WR. He may be more like a really good #2. Or a poor mans #1. But I doubt he will ever be in the top 5 WR's in the game. I'm not sure if he will be top 10 but that is possible. He's not that huge and physically imposing. He has good hands and runs good routes. But he may be a slight bit overrated on this board. We don't know yet because he was just a rookie.

The things Crabtree did as a rookie with no training camp were pretty amazing. He will be a definite number one, go to type receiver. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a thousand yards next season.

If we get our offense on the same page, cut down on mistakes and draft well, we will make the playoffs.

Over 12 and under 14!
Share 49ersWebzone