LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Max Potential = Brad Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
[ Edited by pwilly52 on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:27 PM ]
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Drew brees was a bust also, until his 4th year.

I hope this eats you up day and night for the next 10 years...
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Would you guys prefer a Brad Johnson or Tom Brady for the next 10 years ?

Seriously. Assuming that Alex "pans" out, we all know that he will never become a Brady/Manning type player. He doesnt have the "it" factor, and can only function as a systems quarterback. In other words, feed him a playbook and expect him to execute. Basically, his career as a Niner will be similar to someone like Brad Johnson's (Vikings/Bucs).

Thats not to say that Brad Johnson wasnt effective. He was poised, accurate, moved the chains.....even won a Superbowl. But at the end, you knew he needed a lot going for him (eg defense, running game, etc.) in order to be successful.

So would you guys be okay with Smith, knowing that we will have our Brad Johnson (assuming he maxes out on potential) for the next 10-12 years ? A guy that will keep us close in games, but not be able to pull off the big one when needed ? Not to expect too much from him if the game goes down to the wire and he has to execute a 2 minute drill ?

Or would you guys prefer a Brady/Manning type player, able to adjust accordingly to game situations ? The ability to improvise, confuse defenses, have teams specifically gameplan against him ?

Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

What say you............is Brad Johnson "good" enough for the next 12 years ?

BAN THIS GUY PLEASE!!! HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT
Originally posted by BHulman:
How often does a Brady or Manning come around? Your giving ground saying he could be a Johnson. Guy was a Pro-Bowler with Minne and won a Super Bowl with Tampa. You seem to be getting nervous.

There's nothing wrong with that. Again, all Im asking is if everyone is ok with that kind of play, or do they prefer more ? Personally, I would want something more because I grew up watching Montana and Young. But I dont have a problem with Brad Johnson. Like I said, he was effective as a systems QB.

It wasn't so long ago that you (a couple of days ago I think) that you were telling us he was a "bust." Now he is Johnson; though you still advocate getting out of football Garcia for next season. Maybe in a couple of games he will work his way up to Mcnabb. After that who knows? Sorry if I have trouble taking your prognostications too seriously.

To me, he is a bust. I highly doubt that Alex pulls off a miracle at this stage of his career. He has been dismal, at best, ever since he was drafted. We've seen him have these types of games before, getting the masses all excited.....only to disappoint the following week.

However, Ive tailored the thread to your (supporters) liking. Assuming that he becomes the "future" of this franchise, do you think he can become an iconic player like Brady/Manning ? Probably not. He's more likely to be a Brad Johnson type player. Is it acceptable to you as a fan to have this caliber of play for the next 10-15 years, or do you expect more ? I see that a lot of people are having a hard time swallowing this. I guess the truth hurts....

So your saying Alex is probably a bust or a Brad Johnson who had a pretty good NFL career. That's a lot of latitude there. What truth is it exactly that you are peddling? Maybe, if your lucky, Alex can tank next week and you can just be happy going back to labeling him an unmitigated bust. That is when you seem to be happiest as you can give it to us straight and don't feel the need to "tailor" things for us. Here comes: "I am just thinking about the Niners." No. You care about being right on this issue regardless of the consequences for the franchise.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by backontop:
I love that is consumes you that Smith is beginning to succeed as the QB of the 49ers and very well could become the franchise QB he was drafted to be.

And the wheels on the retard bus goes round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the retard bus goes round and round......

I dont think it's fair to refer to Alex Smith as a retard.......

I love that is consumes you that Smith is beginning to succeed as the QB of the 49ers and very well could become the franchise QB he was drafted to be.

And the wheels on the retard bus goes round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the retard bus goes round and round......

Oh you really got me. How can I ever match your intellect.
  • ZRF80
How often does a Brady or Manning come around? Your giving ground saying he could be a Johnson. Guy was a Pro-Bowler with Minne and won a Super Bowl with Tampa. You seem to be getting nervous.

There's nothing wrong with that. Again, all Im asking is if everyone is ok with that kind of play, or do they prefer more ? Personally, I would want something more because I grew up watching Montana and Young. But I dont have a problem with Brad Johnson. Like I said, he was effective as a systems QB.

It wasn't so long ago that you (a couple of days ago I think) that you were telling us he was a "bust." Now he is Johnson; though you still advocate getting out of football Garcia for next season. Maybe in a couple of games he will work his way up to Mcnabb. After that who knows? Sorry if I have trouble taking your prognostications too seriously.

To me, he is a bust. I highly doubt that Alex pulls off a miracle at this stage of his career. He has been dismal, at best, ever since he was drafted. We've seen him have these types of games before, getting the masses all excited.....only to disappoint the following week.

However, Ive tailored the thread to your (supporters) liking. Assuming that he becomes the "future" of this franchise, do you think he can become an iconic player like Brady/Manning ? Probably not. He's more likely to be a Brad Johnson type player. Is it acceptable to you as a fan to have this caliber of play for the next 10-15 years, or do you expect more ? I see that a lot of people are having a hard time swallowing this. I guess the truth hurts....

So your saying Alex is probably a bust or a Brad Johnson who had a pretty good NFL career. That's a lot of latitude there. What truth is it exactly that you are peddling? Maybe, if your lucky, Alex can tank next week and you can just be happy going back to labeling him an unmitigated bust. That is when you seem to be happiest as you can give it to us straight and don't feel the need to "tailor" things for us. Here comes: "I am just thinking about the Niners." No. You care about being right on this issue regardless of the consequences for the franchise.

No. I am just thinking about the Niners. I want to win sooner than later. Im sick of hearing the "we're one year away" mantra thats spewed on this board every year.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by dave1003:
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Some people just aren't happy until the whole team is full of pro-bowl players. Give me a break.

+1

And why are some sooo consumed with the idea that he may be brad johnson or whoever. Brees is a system qb, so is brady. Manning calls his own shots, but manning may be the best qb ever also. Montana was a system qb. Young was a system qb. It just so happens that the "systems" all of these qb's are in are perfect for each of these individuals. And that is a fact.

Ummm...........no.

You are a moron bro. I have posted about 100 times. And you have posted about 10,000 times. I am just happy I haven't had to waste all those times reading your garbage. Lol. Keep drinking dude. And like I told you before, don't forget to change your batteries on your voo doo doll this week. Troll. What 9er fan you are.
Can you give me the next lottery numbers since you can tell the future? Also if you are so good at recognizing talent, know so much about coaching and running a football team, why are you not a coach or a GM? Maybe even just a Pop Warner coach or an assistant coach on a high school team. Or maybe a scout for the arena league (before it shutdown) or division II scout. Wait I remember you're just a fan and you don't know very much you just think you do, just like the rest of us!

All the Smith haters said he was a bust 2 days a go and now he is being compared to a pro-bowl and Super bowl winning quaterback. Wow sounds like someone is trying to find a good way to backtrack and not look bad. Stop complaining because he is our QB for the rest of the season. So sit back relax and let's see if the kid is growning up and going to make a good QB.

And yes I would take the type of player Johnson was, he may not be HOF QB but he was very good and had alot af accomplishments in the NFL. Not the least of which was winning a Super Bowl, so yes I would defintely take a Super Bowl win. Are you saying you wouldn't? It's rare to find the knid of talent you want, which is basically the best QB in the league from the players you keep mentioning. I know we got spoiled for years with Young and Montana but finding guys like that is rare and it's unrealistic to think all are QB's are going to be in the same caliber as those two. To pass up on a solid QB because potentially you might find one of those kinds of talent is stupid. Haven't you learned anything over the past seven years? People just alittle while ago were wishing for Garcia to be back here and now they don't think someone with talent comparable to Johnson isn't good enough, WOW!

It doesn't really matter though how we feel about this though because none of us really knows Smith's potential. He could end be the greatest QB ever, not likely but still in the realm of possibility. Just as much him getting injured so bad in the next game that his carrer is over or that he does become a Johnson tpe player or a Bust or Pro bowler or paralyzed or alot things. Point is you can't tell the future so stop trying.
[ Edited by Ramp19Stoner on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:34 PM ]

Originally posted by dave1003:
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Some people just aren't happy until the whole team is full of pro-bowl players. Give me a break.

+1

And why are some sooo consumed with the idea that he may be brad johnson or whoever. Brees is a system qb, so is brady. Manning calls his own shots, but manning may be the best qb ever also. Montana was a system qb. Young was a system qb. It just so happens that the "systems" all of these qb's are in are perfect for each of these individuals. And that is a fact.

Ummm...........no.

Umm no to what? That's all true. Troll.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran

No. I am just thinking about the Niners. I want to win sooner than later. Im sick of hearing the "we're one year away" mantra thats spewed on this board every year.

Well, instead of bashing the kid maybe you should talk to the butthead who hired "Nolan" and allowed him to totally destroy this once proud franchise!!!!

Seriously. Assuming that Alex "pans" out, we all know that he will never become a Brady/Manning type player. He doesnt have the "it" factor, and can only function as a systems quarterback. In other words, feed him a playbook and expect him to execute. Basically, his career as a Niner will be similar to someone like Brad Johnson's (Vikings/Bucs).

Thats not to say that Brad Johnson wasnt effective. He was poised, accurate, moved the chains.....even won a Superbowl. But at the end, you knew he needed a lot going for him (eg defense, running game, etc.) in order to be successful.

So would you guys be okay with Smith, knowing that we will have our Brad Johnson (assuming he maxes out on potential) for the next 10-12 years ? A guy that will keep us close in games, but not be able to pull off the big one when needed ? Not to expect too much from him if the game goes down to the wire and he has to execute a 2 minute drill ?

Or would you guys prefer a Brady/Manning type player, able to adjust accordingly to game situations ? The ability to improvise, confuse defenses, have teams specifically gameplan against him ?

Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

WOW! You're pretty much saying that Brady and Manning are better than Smith. You, my friend, have an eye for talent.
Of course we'd rather have a Brady or Manning over Smith. But the FACT is we don't have a Brady or Manning. Smith is the best we have, and he's still getting better.

And since you think you KNOW how good Smith is gonna be, let me ask you this. How good would the offense be right now IF Raye had been running this shotgun/spread scheme since OTAs/preseason???

The fact is Smith is the best QB on the team right now. He will most likely be the best QB on the team NEXT SEASON. Is he better than Brady, of course not. He is better than Manning, of course not.
This is a nice waste of time thread you started. Are you a Shaun Hill fan?
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
this could be the gayest thread i have ever seen

thank you

ZRF80's Max Potential = zero
[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone