There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith's Max Potential = Brad Johnson

Some people just aren't happy until the whole team is full of pro-bowl players. Give me a break.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
So what is Alex Smith's Max Potential ?

Please dont say things like "the sky's the limit", cause it's obviously not with this guy. He's a system's quarterback, and the highest "honor" I can give him is that of a player like Brad Johnson.

i just don't feel confident in him when the pressure is on the line.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by BHulman:
How often does a Brady or Manning come around? Your giving ground saying he could be a Johnson. Guy was a Pro-Bowler with Minne and won a Super Bowl with Tampa. You seem to be getting nervous.

There's nothing wrong with that. Again, all Im asking is if everyone is ok with that kind of play, or do they prefer more ? Personally, I would want something more because I grew up watching Montana and Young. But I dont have a problem with Brad Johnson. Like I said, he was effective as a systems QB.

It wasn't so long ago that you (a couple of days ago I think) that you were telling us he was a "bust." Now he is Johnson; though you still advocate getting out of football Garcia for next season. Maybe in a couple of games he will work his way up to Mcnabb. After that who knows? Sorry if I have trouble taking your prognostications too seriously.

To me, he is a bust. I highly doubt that Alex pulls off a miracle at this stage of his career. He has been dismal, at best, ever since he was drafted. We've seen him have these types of games before, getting the masses all excited.....only to disappoint the following week.

However, Ive tailored the thread to your (supporters) liking. Assuming that he becomes the "future" of this franchise, do you think he can become an iconic player like Brady/Manning ? Probably not. He's more likely to be a Brad Johnson type player. Is it acceptable to you as a fan to have this caliber of play for the next 10-15 years, or do you expect more ? I see that a lot of people are having a hard time swallowing this. I guess the truth hurts....
Originally posted by NickV:
I dont even read your posts anymore.

LMAO. word
Alex Smith's max potential=remains to be seen. Speculate all you like, the fact is no one knows yet, he hasn't reached it yet.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
So we are all suppose to believe your expert opinion that he is like Brad Johnson huh. I guess all the the NFL scouts and GM's who felt Alex Smith was the best QB in his draft class should take advice from you. Question: What round did Brad Johnson get drafted in? Anyone know?
LOL so i guess u can see the future huh?
Someone mentioned a few years ago that Alex could be a Rich Gannon...become great after several years in the league. Rich Gannon > Brad Johnson so I would take that.
Wow, here we go. Looks like you are just too prideful. You can not even admit when you are wrong. You went from comparing smith to leaf... now smith is brad johnson. First off alex smith is a hellva lot more mobile than brad johnson. And we as 9er fans were lucky, fortunate and blessed to have montana and young, hell even garcia. I guess some 9er fans are just ungrateful.
I love that is consumes you that Smith is beginning to succeed as the QB of the 49ers and very well could become the franchise QB he was drafted to be.

And the wheels on the retard bus goes round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the retard bus goes round and round......
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
So what is Alex Smith's Max Potential ?

Please dont say things like "the sky's the limit", cause it's obviously not with this guy. He's a system's quarterback, and the highest "honor" I can give him is that of a player like Brad Johnson.

i just don't feel confident in him when the pressure is on the line.

Who cares whatcha think dude.. you also thought he couldn't have a complete game, or couldn't ne turnover free, or couldn't ever be a starter again, etc, etc.. let's ride the season out and see what happens. Geez.
I you are saying that we can get brady or manning for the next 12 years, i'm all for it. If not, all we have right now is alex and I'm willing to see what he can do. Very interesting post??? Against the jags, he showed all the skills and poise to be great. Can he do it game after game? We will see.
Originally posted by jones49:
Someone mentioned a few years ago that Alex could be a Rich Gannon...become great after several years in the league. Rich Gannon > Brad Johnson so I would take that.

I was one of the people who said that, was I the first? IDK probably, probably not

But since we are talking about max potential (or at least that's all I will ackwoledge), you go find the best qb in that "system" and there you have Smith at max potential.
So who is the best QB playing in the shotgun with 3 Wrs, 1 TE, and 1 RB??
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Some people just aren't happy until the whole team is full of pro-bowl players. Give me a break.

+1

And why are some sooo consumed with the idea that he may be brad johnson or whoever. Brees is a system qb, so is brady. Manning calls his own shots, but manning may be the best qb ever also. Montana was a system qb. Young was a system qb. It just so happens that the "systems" all of these qb's are in are perfect for each of these individuals. And that is a fact.