There are 225 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Max Potential = Brad Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091203/sc_livescience/studyrevealstheangriestamericans

This explains a lot about the reaction(s) Im getting in this thread.

And the crap you fill the boards with explains why you have no buddies on your profile.

Yes, cause we all could use some internet "buddies" in our life. I guess Im just not as popular as you are. If only......

Ehhh it has nothing to do with popularity, it's about common sense and I do it for The People.

• luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091203/sc_livescience/studyrevealstheangriestamericans

And the crap you fill the boards with explains why you have no buddies on your profile.

that is not nice
Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

Ken Anderson disagrees with you. Anderson on Bill Walsh :

Quote:
"When I first came into the league, he was the first guy I worked with. ... He took a kid from Augustana College and made him into an NFL quarterback."

Steve Young on BW :

Quote:
"Bill was blessed with one of the greatest gifts you can have which is the ability to see the future potential of another human being." "Bill was blessed with one of the greatest gifts you can have which is the ability to see the future potential of another human being."

and

Quote:
"He saw in me much more than I ever saw in myself well before I ever had a chance to understand it. That is the ultimate compliment to the word coach. There’s nothing more a coach should be than to see the full potential of a player unfolded. I am eternally grateful to Bill Walsh."

Mike Shanahan :

Quote:
Great coaches are great teachers, people who enjoy teaching. It doesn't matter what level it was on. I don't care if he was teaching high school kids, quarterbacks, three- to five-step drops, college kids, pro kids, he enjoyed it. He was very good at it, very smart. I guess the best way to describe it is he just had passion for everything he did. And that's one of the reasons he was so successful

Urban Meyer on AS :

Quote:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

As evidenced Alex can be taught to be great, he just needs the right teacher/s and supporting cast *cough*OL*cough*. I am far from an Alex Smith supporter but I am not a hater either. If he succeeds more power to us and he has all the tools to do so, but your hatred of him is beyond ridiculous. You go above and beyond to try and prove non existent facts. You make outlandish and ridiculous claims without providing any real evidence to support such nonsense. I too can be a successful s**t talker if I let my ass cheeks do the talking and my mouth do the walking.

In the future it'd be greatly appreciated if you refrained from trolling this board with your hate spewed threads aimed at the coaches and Alex Smith. Half get locked and the other half should be. Try using the search function instead of being an attention whore and posting your same old tired BS. There are already threads discussing whatever crap that you are trying to spew. This team is far from a serious contender but a lot better than the 1-15 team you believed us to be.

Just because you are a successful franchise owner on Madden with your Mike Shanahan coached team with Tom Brady at QB does not mean that my Mike Nolan led 49ers Madden team led by Brad Johnson (only because Alex and Shaun suffered season ending injuries) couldn't whoop yours every day of the week.

You might as well jump ship to the Saints while the getting is good because that train is boarding and will soon be leaving the station for the SB and I'd hate for you to miss out.

So lets say Alex gets real comfortable with Raye's system. I'll take it even further. Imagine if Smith executes it to perfection, wins the MVP, and has a passer rating over 100 in 2010. And then, Raye gets a head coaching gig, leaves San Fran........and we end up getting a new OC with a different philosophy.

So I guess we should take Meyer's words literally.........go back to square 1, and teach Smith how to be a quarterback all over again.

GOOD PLAYERS learn to ADAPT. Alex Smith has failed miserably for 5 years (2 as starter). Finally............after 2+ seasons under center, we had to find an offense tailored for him, and in that sense..........probably eliminate the effectiveness of Frank Gore (see Steve Young article). And all this for a guy that we'll probably have to give another year + to learn a new scheme of Raye leaves.

Alex Smith doesnt have "it". And thats why I refer to him as a Brad Johnson at max potential. He's a pure system QB; he needs instructions for each and every play on how to drop back, who to look for, and where to throw it. Very rarely will you see him improvise, and when he does.....chances are he's gonna screw up.

Hey Gum Gum, Newsflash! When Walsh brought in new coordinators to run the Offense did they bring THEIR own systems or did they use his and add flavor using their stuff.

I imagine that it would be no different with our team as it stands now.

Besides W(HO)TF is the owner that makes the move to make Jimmy Raye the HC? Maybe the Krypt Keeper. But it's doubtful that ANYONE would be looking for Jimmy Raye to take over 2 sides of the ball. He's fine with one but c'mon buddy you're spinnin.

Roll on Don Quixote, roll on.

Damn I can't believe this stupid thread has hit nearly 400 replies. Boggles the mind.

~Ceadder
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by luv49rs:

that is not nice

Apparently I'm popular but I am not a nice guy.....nice guys finish last.

I am not ashamed to admit that I'm an a*****e

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Hey Gum Gum, Newsflash! When Walsh brought in new coordinators to run the Offense did they bring THEIR own systems or did they use his and add flavor using their stuff.

I imagine that it would be no different with our team as it stands now.

Besides W(HO)TF is the owner that makes the move to make Jimmy Raye the HC? Maybe the Krypt Keeper. But it's doubtful that ANYONE would be looking for Jimmy Raye to take over 2 sides of the ball. He's fine with one but c'mon buddy you're spinnin.

Roll on Don Quixote, roll on.

Damn I can't believe this stupid thread has hit nearly 400 replies. Boggles the mind.

~Ceadder

~Knowledge Reigns Supreme
Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

Ken Anderson disagrees with you. Anderson on Bill Walsh :

Quote:
"When I first came into the league, he was the first guy I worked with. ... He took a kid from Augustana College and made him into an NFL quarterback."

Steve Young on BW :

Quote:
"Bill was blessed with one of the greatest gifts you can have which is the ability to see the future potential of another human being." "Bill was blessed with one of the greatest gifts you can have which is the ability to see the future potential of another human being."

and

Quote:
"He saw in me much more than I ever saw in myself well before I ever had a chance to understand it. That is the ultimate compliment to the word coach. There’s nothing more a coach should be than to see the full potential of a player unfolded. I am eternally grateful to Bill Walsh."

Mike Shanahan :

Quote:
Great coaches are great teachers, people who enjoy teaching. It doesn't matter what level it was on. I don't care if he was teaching high school kids, quarterbacks, three- to five-step drops, college kids, pro kids, he enjoyed it. He was very good at it, very smart. I guess the best way to describe it is he just had passion for everything he did. And that's one of the reasons he was so successful

Urban Meyer on AS :

Quote:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

As evidenced Alex can be taught to be great, he just needs the right teacher/s and supporting cast *cough*OL*cough*. I am far from an Alex Smith supporter but I am not a hater either. If he succeeds more power to us and he has all the tools to do so, but your hatred of him is beyond ridiculous. You go above and beyond to try and prove non existent facts. You make outlandish and ridiculous claims without providing any real evidence to support such nonsense. I too can be a successful s**t talker if I let my ass cheeks do the talking and my mouth do the walking.

In the future it'd be greatly appreciated if you refrained from trolling this board with your hate spewed threads aimed at the coaches and Alex Smith. Half get locked and the other half should be. Try using the search function instead of being an attention whore and posting your same old tired BS. There are already threads discussing whatever crap that you are trying to spew. This team is far from a serious contender but a lot better than the 1-15 team you believed us to be.

Just because you are a successful franchise owner on Madden with your Mike Shanahan coached team with Tom Brady at QB does not mean that my Mike Nolan led 49ers Madden team led by Brad Johnson (only because Alex and Shaun suffered season ending injuries) couldn't whoop yours every day of the week.

You might as well jump ship to the Saints while the getting is good because that train is boarding and will soon be leaving the station for the SB and I'd hate for you to miss out.

So lets say Alex gets real comfortable with Raye's system. I'll take it even further. Imagine if Smith executes it to perfection, wins the MVP, and has a passer rating over 100 in 2010. And then, Raye gets a head coaching gig, leaves San Fran........and we end up getting a new OC with a different philosophy.

So I guess we should take Meyer's words literally.........go back to square 1, and teach Smith how to be a quarterback all over again.

GOOD PLAYERS learn to ADAPT. Alex Smith has failed miserably for 5 years (2 as starter). Finally............after 2+ seasons under center, we had to find an offense tailored for him, and in that sense..........probably eliminate the effectiveness of Frank Gore (see Steve Young article). And all this for a guy that we'll probably have to give another year + to learn a new scheme of Raye leaves.

Alex Smith doesnt have "it". And thats why I refer to him as a Brad Johnson at max potential. He's a pure system QB; he needs instructions for each and every play on how to drop back, who to look for, and where to throw it. Very rarely will you see him improvise, and when he does.....chances are he's gonna screw up.

Finally, you bring up a good point and this argument is actually a sound one. Alex Smith is a system QB. I can actually see how you could say this because honestly we do not know yet. Every QB needs time in a system but the great ones that have "it" can function well and improv in any system. However, the great ones are typically older and typically a system is catered to their strengths. Young QB's usually can't do this and I would still consider Alex Smith a young QB in both leadership and maturity.

Basically, we won't know if he is a system QB or even how good he can be until he has a better line and he can actually throw comfortably from behind center. When I say comfortable I mean he can actually plant out of a 3 step drop and not be hit immediately. There are too many variables right now. No QB would be that good snapping under center behind this offensive line. I don't care who you put back there. Now, some QB's would make out line better from their sheer presence. Alex is not one of those QB's yet.

The ignorance of your posts and your obvious lack of understanding of the game is what is garnering you these reactions. Congrats you have reached new heights in the inane art of trolling...Sabrason would be proud of you!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

The ignorance of your posts and your obvious lack of understanding of the game is what is garnering you these reactions. Congrats you have reached new heights in the inane art of trolling...Sabrason would be proud of you!

Who is Sabrason?
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Ok, I will repeat it for the last time. Smith has been in the league for FIVE YEARS ! What part of that do some of you not get ? I dont care if he was injured for part of that time. He could have used it to watch the game and learn it from the sidelines. He could have used it to study tape. He could have used it to adapt to the speed of the game. Combine that with the fact that he had started approx. 2 season's worth of games, he should be WAY ahead than where he currently is.

And no, I dont care about his age, his different OCs, his poor oline, etc. because Shaun Hill had to replace him with the same problems, but he didnt seem to have trouble (barr this season) adjusting accordingly.

Enough with the excuses.............

then you have failed to intelligently and objectively analyze a situation within it's context. In mathematics, the solution to an equation relies on all the variable to be accurate. The correct answer, or even a logical answer, cannot be achieved by removing variables you deem worthless.

They are deemed worthless if someone of lesser skill (eg Hill) is able to adjust to the same variables.

I'm assuming you're a shaun hill guy from these posts. From your first argument, you say that Hill replaced smith on a team with the same problems and didn't have trouble barring this season (which, is actually having trouble).

One, smith didn't play last year, so you can't say Hill did better than smith when you don't have any results for how smith did. In 07, The wonderous Hostler Offense kept the entire team back and Hill didn't play till the end of season against teams that were bad (Cin) or resting (TB). Hill didn't throw for more than 197 yards in any game that season.

You want to compare Hill to Smith, go ahead. But at least make it a logical argument. When people are trying to weigh the validity and plausibility of an argument, it's usually beast not to make your bias appear so profound. Many people won't take an argument seriously if that is the case.

Also, Im curious to know what were your expectations of smith when he was selected?
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Who is Sabrason?

When you think of the Troll HoF Sabs has to be at the pinnacle.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 4, 2009 at 16:12:52 ]

Ok, I will repeat it for the last time. Smith has been in the league for FIVE YEARS ! What part of that do some of you not get ? I dont care if he was injured for part of that time. He could have used it to watch the game and learn it from the sidelines. He could have used it to study tape. He could have used it to adapt to the speed of the game. Combine that with the fact that he had started approx. 2 season's worth of games, he should be WAY ahead than where he currently is.

And no, I dont care about his age, his different OCs, his poor oline, etc. because Shaun Hill had to replace him with the same problems, but he didnt seem to have trouble (barr this season) adjusting accordingly.

then you have failed to intelligently and objectively analyze a situation within it's context. In mathematics, the solution to an equation relies on all the variable to be accurate. The correct answer, or even a logical answer, cannot be achieved by removing variables you deem worthless.

They are deemed worthless if someone of lesser skill (eg Hill) is able to adjust to the same variables.

I'm assuming you're a shaun hill guy from these posts. From your first argument, you say that Hill replaced smith on a team with the same problems and didn't have trouble barring this season (which, is actually having trouble).

One, smith didn't play last year, so you can't say Hill did better than smith when you don't have any results for how smith did. In 07, The wonderous Hostler Offense kept the entire team back and Hill didn't play till the end of season against teams that were bad (Cin) or resting (TB). Hill didn't throw for more than 197 yards in any game that season.

You want to compare Hill to Smith, go ahead. But at least make it a logical argument. When people are trying to weigh the validity and plausibility of an argument, it's usually beast not to make your bias appear so profound. Many people won't take an argument seriously if that is the case.

Also, Im curious to know what were your expectations of smith when he was selected?

Like MOST biased 9er fans. Super Bowl is the only thing they think of.

My apologies if that encompasses all 9er fans into this guy's class. It's not meant that way. BUT you have to think outside the box with a pick like Alex. If you can't then you will NEVER understand.

And clearly ZRF80 is an inside the box thinker.

~Ceadder
  • ZRF80
double post.

[ Edited by ZRF80 on Dec 4, 2009 at 19:24:35 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Like MOST biased 9er fans. Super Bowl is the only thing they think of.

My apologies if that encompasses all 9er fans into this guy's class. It's not meant that way. BUT you have to think outside the box with a pick like Alex. If you can't then you will NEVER understand.

And clearly ZRF80 is an inside the box thinker.

~Ceadder

More like emotion and rationalization.
  • ZRF80

Forget the Hill vs. Smith debate. To put it simply, I think Hill is a better QB, but I have no problem with him sitting on the bench. He has also shown that he is not the future, and I wouldnt want to go through the same motions with him, as we are doing with Smith, in order to get a more efficient passing game. So that argument is moot. I was just pointing out that I dont think it's justified to use OCs and different offensive systems as excuses because Hill was productive in the same formats in which Smith failed.

However, for the bolded.........I know hindsight is 20/20. With that aside........knowing what you know now with Smith, if you were back in 2005 with the first overall pick and you knew all this would happen with Smith + the fact that Smith would finally have a complete game (and show promise) in his 5th year in the league..........would you have still wanted him ?

You can defend Smith all you want, but the one thing you cant debate is that we have definitely (as fans + coaches) gone to extraordinary measures to accomodate Smith, whether it was finding decent OCs, signing free agents to huge contracts, giving him the offense he needs, etc. I just find it a little too much, especially since the dividends have been very poor, to say the least. Combine this with all the statements we're getting from analysts (Hodge, Jaworski), former players (Antonio Bryant), and HOFers (Young, Rice), not to mention former coaches (Urban Meyer), and it doesnt look too good for Smith. But then again, as Ceadder would point out, those guys are just haters and wouldnt know football from their ass.

[ Edited by ZRF80 on Dec 4, 2009 at 19:26:16 ]

Forget the Hill vs. Smith debate. To put it simply, I think Hill is a better QB, but I have no problem with him sitting on the bench. He has also shown that he is not the future, and I wouldnt want to go through the same motions with him, as we are doing with Smith, in order to get a more efficient passing game. So that argument is moot. I was just pointing out that I dont think it's justified to use OCs and different offensive systems as excuses because Hill was productive in the same formats in which Smith failed.

However, for the bolded.........I know hindsight is 20/20. With that aside........knowing what you know now with Smith, if you were back in 2005 with the first overall pick and you knew all this would happen with Smith + the fact that Smith would finally have a complete game (and show promise) in his 5th year in the league..........would you have still wanted him ?

You can defend Smith all you want, but the one thing you cant debate is that we have definitely (as fans + coaches) gone to extraordinary measures to accomodate Smith, whether it was finding decent OCs, signing free agents to huge contracts, giving him the offense he needs, etc. I just find it a little too much, especially since the dividends have been very poor, to say the least. Combine this with all the statements we're getting from analysts (Hodge, Jaworski), former players (Antonio Bryant), and HOFers (Young, Rice), not to mention former coaches (Urban Meyer), and it doesnt look too good for Smith. But then again, as Ceadder would point out, those guys are just haters and wouldnt know football from their ass.

Uh huh, that's right they wouldn't.

If you don't knock off the instigating posts (i.e. making inferences at my expense) I'm going to see to it you get flagged and sent back 15 yards.

I never ONCE stated that any of those named in this latest diatribe of yours doesn't know anything about Football. I dare you to dig something contradicting my claim up. If not then you best stow it.

I'm laid back and can take a joke. But when people start making claims that I stated something and those claims ain't true? It gets them broke. Whether verbally or physically. In your case it will be within the confines of the system. You purposely instigate things and it's time you just stop.

You've done this now TWICE in this thread. Don't make this mistake a 3rd time.

Your arguments are insane and if I had to do it all over again in '05 I would still be happy that we got Smith. Only I would hope that we didn't just rush him on the field the way Coach Nolan did.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Dec 4, 2009 at 19:38:57 ]
Share 49ersWebzone