LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Max Potential = Brad Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Would you guys prefer a Brad Johnson or Tom Brady for the next 10 years ?

Seriously. Assuming that Alex "pans" out, we all know that he will never become a Brady/Manning type player. He doesnt have the "it" factor, and can only function as a systems quarterback. In other words, feed him a playbook and expect him to execute. Basically, his career as a Niner will be similar to someone like Brad Johnson's (Vikings/Bucs).

Thats not to say that Brad Johnson wasnt effective. He was poised, accurate, moved the chains.....even won a Superbowl. But at the end, you knew he needed a lot going for him (eg defense, running game, etc.) in order to be successful.

So would you guys be okay with Smith, knowing that we will have our Brad Johnson (assuming he maxes out on potential) for the next 10-12 years ? A guy that will keep us close in games, but not be able to pull off the big one when needed ? Not to expect too much from him if the game goes down to the wire and he has to execute a 2 minute drill ?

Or would you guys prefer a Brady/Manning type player, able to adjust accordingly to game situations ? The ability to improvise, confuse defenses, have teams specifically gameplan against him ?

Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

What say you............is Brad Johnson "good" enough for the next 12 years ?

As Smith plays increasingly better, you lose credibility with your stubborn clinging to the notion that Smith's upside is so limited. He's 25, he has a good arm, he has good mobility, he works hard, he looks good in the spread, and he seems to be playing with more confidence as he gains experience and playing time. I don't think the guy has maxed out. Put him behind a really good offensive line and I'm not so sure he wouldn't produce like a Brady or Manning. He certainly has the physical tools to keep up with them. As long as the mental part of his game continues on an improving trajectory, and it has been, then it looks like you are just stubbornly vested in your thesis that he's mediocre at best.

This... and fixed.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by bigmike55:
This never-ending feud between YAY alex smith and NAY alex smith will end only if one of the two things happen...

1) Alex Smith somehow takes us to the superbowl and wins.

2) Alex Smith stinks it up for another 2 or 3 years and gets cut.

If you had to bet your life savings on one of those 2 options, which one would you opt for ?

I think your answer says it all..........
  • evil
  • Veteran
Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

Ken Anderson disagrees with you. Anderson on Bill Walsh :

Quote:
"When I first came into the league, he was the first guy I worked with. ... He took a kid from Augustana College and made him into an NFL quarterback."

Steve Young on BW :

Quote:
"Bill was blessed with one of the greatest gifts you can have which is the ability to see the future potential of another human being." "Bill was blessed with one of the greatest gifts you can have which is the ability to see the future potential of another human being."

and

Quote:
"He saw in me much more than I ever saw in myself well before I ever had a chance to understand it. That is the ultimate compliment to the word coach. There’s nothing more a coach should be than to see the full potential of a player unfolded. I am eternally grateful to Bill Walsh."

Mike Shanahan :

Quote:
Great coaches are great teachers, people who enjoy teaching. It doesn't matter what level it was on. I don't care if he was teaching high school kids, quarterbacks, three- to five-step drops, college kids, pro kids, he enjoyed it. He was very good at it, very smart. I guess the best way to describe it is he just had passion for everything he did. And that's one of the reasons he was so successful

Urban Meyer on AS :

Quote:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

As evidenced Alex can be taught to be great, he just needs the right teacher/s and supporting cast *cough*OL*cough*. I am far from an Alex Smith supporter but I am not a hater either. If he succeeds more power to us and he has all the tools to do so, but your hatred of him is beyond ridiculous. You go above and beyond to try and prove non existent facts. You make outlandish and ridiculous claims without providing any real evidence to support such nonsense. I too can be a successful s**t talker if I let my ass cheeks do the talking and my mouth do the walking.

In the future it'd be greatly appreciated if you refrained from trolling this board with your hate spewed threads aimed at the coaches and Alex Smith. Half get locked and the other half should be. Try using the search function instead of being an attention whore and posting your same old tired BS. There are already threads discussing whatever crap that you are trying to spew. This team is far from a serious contender but a lot better than the 1-15 team you believed us to be.

Just because you are a successful franchise owner on Madden with your Mike Shanahan coached team with Tom Brady at QB does not mean that my Mike Nolan led 49ers Madden team led by Brad Johnson (only because Alex and Shaun suffered season ending injuries) couldn't whoop yours every day of the week.

You might as well jump ship to the Saints while the getting is good because that train is boarding and will soon be leaving the station for the SB and I'd hate for you to miss out.
^^that's a hell of a post. Nice research!
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Ryan Leaf with the Patriots offensive line, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Bill Belichick, would still be Ryan Leaf.

You can have the greatest teacher and the greatest supporting cast in the world and still be a below average quarterback.

Talent is more important than everything else. Coaching and supporting cast is simply about maximizing that "talent" and putting it in a position to succeed.

Now the debate between Alex Smith critics and Alex Smith supporters is whether or not Alex Smith has that "talent".
[ Edited by crzy on Dec 3, 2009 at 9:21 AM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
This never-ending feud between YAY alex smith and NAY alex smith will end only if one of the two things happen...

If you had to bet your life savings on one of those 2 options, which one would you opt for ?

Would you have bet it took Peyton Manning 10 years to get his first Super Bowl?

you could say the same about 80% of all the QBs that enter the league. lets look at this for example:

This never-ending feud between YAY Shaun Hill and NAY Shaun Hill will end only if one of the two things happen...

1) Shaun Hill somehow takes us to the superbowl and wins.

2) Shaun Hill stinks it up for another 2 or 3 years and gets cut.

or how about:

This never-ending feud between YAY Brady Quinn and NAY Brady Quinn will end only if one of the two things happen...

1) Brady Quinn somehow takes us to the superbowl and wins.

2) Brady Quinn stinks it up for another 2 or 3 years and gets cut.

i think the answer to that bet says nothing, actually.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ether:

If he was a Colts fan he'd have thrown Peyton under the bus in year 3 or 4 because he hadn't taken them to the SB meanwhile Brady was winning SB's in NE. He'd probably cite poor coaching and Manning as a "system QB" because although he threw for 4000+ yards he failed to lead his team to the SB.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Ether:

If he was a Colts fan he'd have thrown Peyton under the bus in year 3 or 4 because he hadn't taken them to the SB meanwhile Brady was winning SB's in NE. He'd probably cite poor coaching and Manning as a "system QB" because although he threw for 4000+ yards he failed to lead his team to the SB.

Very good point.

I also think he would have called Montana a bust after two years. Were the 9ers good in 79? Nope. All the QBs fault. Montana sucks.

Or Steve Young. He takes over for Montana and we don't win a Superbowl until 1995. The reason? Young sucks and runs around too much.
Brad Johnson is the ONLY QB to throw a TD pass to himself.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:

Is that true?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by taney71:

Is that true?

Yes. He did it. He threw a pass, it was deflected, he caught it and scored.
[ Edited by crzy on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by taney71:

Is that true?

Yes. He did it. He threw a pass, it was deflected, he caught it and scored.

He missed the point after, though.

j/k
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
If anyone can find video evidence of Brad Johnson doing that, that would be awesome.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
^^that's a hell of a post. Nice research!

Evil FTW

Just one of the many reasons I married him.
Share 49ersWebzone