Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He wasnt bashing Alex why is everyone getting there panties in a bunch???

Jesus

Thank you. All I asked was if it was ok for a Brad Johnson type player to hang around for the next 1-12 years. I acknowledged that there was nothing wrong with Brad Johnson. If I had asked if it was ok for a Tom Brady type player to hang around for the next 10-12 years, would i have gotten the same reaction ?

The part where you called him a bust is what people are talking about, but you knew that already, unlike ninersrule4, who posted without reading the post people were justly critiquing.

No, people are reacting because I maxed his potential to ONLY Brad Johnson. Apparently, the zone is riding high on Alex Smith after his one good performance. They would like to remain in their fantasy world, and even if Alex's play plummeted in the coming weeks, we'd go back to the good ole fashion excuses eg bad oline, poor OC, receivers drop passes, etc.

No people are reacting to the later post in this thread where you contradicted your original post by calling Smith a bust. Not one person on here has said anything about your comparing Johnson and Smith other than criticizing you for acting like you know the future. Just stop trolling if it hurts your feelings when you get stomped on for it. If you post nonsense like this on these boards you will surely be hammered for it.

Ive been calling Alex a bust for the last 4 years; still havent gotten this type of reaction from the Zone. Everyone knows my view on Smith; I doubt they'd spend 10 pages trying to "convince" me otherwise that Smith is a viable QB.

It's definitely the BJohnson comparison. Geez, people have high expectations for him. No wonder its so easy to make excuses for Smith everytime he fails. No one wants to accept reality.......

Thats pretty funny because you get responses like this to ALL of your Smith hater posts and threads. Just be man enough to eat crow when you are proved wrong.

Eat crow when Im proven wrong ? In 2005, Alex Smith was drafted as the number 1 overall player.......goes 4 years without a complete game (4 quarters of football)...........and FINALLY gets 1 (one)(uno) under his belt, after 30+ starts in this league..........and you think I should eat crow ? Yes, you certainly proved me wrong.

wow talk about reading comprehension fail. Smith has played a total of what 35 games now? Lets see 35/16, Smith has played a total of 2.18 seasons in 5 years. He has started 5.5 games this season and has improved in every game. When Smith succeeds and you fail at being a couch talent scout, just be sure to be a man and eat your crow when the time comes. Smith will be the QB for the rest of the season as well as next season. So get keep your hater glasses on so you can keep ignoring that fact that Smith isn't the problem.

THANK YOU! EXACTLY! People like to say "He's been in the league 5 years..." blah blah, yet when looking at his total games played (38, btw), he hasnt even played 2.5 seasons. Aaron Rodgers, who sat his first 3 years, has played a total of 34 games... Alex Smith, who was thrown to the fire his rookie year in the WORST offense almost ever, has only played 3 more games than Rodgers. That tells you something.

Funny that you mention Rodgers, considering that their level of play is leagues apart.

Here we go again. I wonder why that is.

Fine.

Vince Young.
Philip Rivers.
Eli Manning.

Everybody's circumstances are different. Bottom line is that Alex's sucked!

Actually Smith underperformed just like every other player on the team. The entire team sucked! Now that there is actually some talent around Smith and a HC and OC that are trying to utilize Smith's strengths he and the team are performing much better.

So let me get his clear, you don't think the Niners would be better off getting a man who will be 40 next year, was cut by the Raiders and has not been picked up as of yet like ZRF proposes? Even if Smith continues progressing (though ZRFs standard seems to be he has to win out - never mind that this team looked a far-sight from being a playoff team by halftime of the Texan game) don't you think it will be in the Niners best interest to dust off Garcia? I'm not sure because I know that ZRF prides himself on seeing through the B.S. and gazes directly at the truth that we are all blind to. He is not a Smith-hater; he is a Niner-lover. Still, if we have to get someone else, I think I would like the Niners to get Brad Johnson. That kid has a bright future with a high ceilling.

Again, assuming we keep Smith for next year.........our 3 options are:

A) go into 2010 with Smith, Hill, Davis

B) go into 2010 with Smith, FA, Davis

C) go into 2010 with Smith, draft pick, Davis.

I think it's fair to assume that Plan A is not an option.

Going with plan C wouldnt make sense, because now you have your "supposed" future QB (Davis) trying to develop, and you've instilled another young guy to compete with him. Also, imagine if Smith doesnt pan out (I know its difficult for some of you to see that, but try really really hard). You have no viable backup to take over for Smith.

So thats leaves us with Plan B. Here's the list of free agent QBs in 2010. Assuming that we need a "bridge" quarterback to hold us over for the next 2-3 years (until Davis or other develops), who would serve as a temporary replacement for Smith ? Obviously we're not going to vye for someone like Campbell, Jackson, or Pennington........who will be looking for longterm roles in their new homes. We have no option but to go for a seasoned veteran. The best of the worst is Garcia, IMO. Now Vick has signed a 1 year contract with the Eagles, with an option for 2010. The Eagles will probably release him, and if he's available, he's the best available through free agency. Are these guys necessarily Superbowl winning quarterbacks ? No. But both have led their teams to playoffs, and could serve as the bridge to our future quarterback.

How do you stand with the way the sand shifts under you. Here is what you said on reply 89 in the "What the experts are saying" thread.

I agree. We've already drafted our future QB. Now we need one through FA to fill the gap until the future is ready to take over......

Point being...........bye bye Alex Smith.

That was on 11/26. You have said numerous times in other threads that you want the Niners to acquire Vick or Garcia as starters while grooming Davis. I'm sure others remember. Now, out of the blue, you give us Plan A,B, and C so all of the sudden you can save yourself and try to cling to some creditability. Of course, most of know what what you mean by assuming.
[/i]

Why would we assume a "bust" is going to be our quarterback?

Shape it in any form you want.....the point is that we need to find a quarterback to bridge the present to the future (Davis). If Alex continues to play like he did vs. Chicago or Tennessee, then I would think it necessary to find a REPLACEMENT for him for the next 2-3 years until Davis is ready to take over. If Alex pans out, then I still think we need to find a quarterback in FA to replace him next year in case he fails or gets injured. If you're asking my opinion, I think the Chicago/Tenn games were more representative of Alex's play than last week's game against the Jags. If thats the case, I would hate for the Niners to waste another year trying to build "around" him, a practice that has proven to be futile when it comes to Alex Smith. Even if he is the starter for 2010, we have seen this rerun before with Hill and Smith. Finishing the season strong, only to tank the following year. Do you want to fall for the same trap again, or would you like to implement a safety measure just in case ?

There's no contradiction here. I think Alex will fail miserably. I think we will have to eventually replace him. Therefore, Im thinking about the future eg Davis.

So you are willing to give Davis 2-3 years to develop and yet you seem personally insulted if anyone suggests you afford Smith the same , I can only assume it's because of where Smith was drafted, something he had no control over, once again you're hatred for Smith is laughable, did he run over your dog ?

Smith has been in the league for FIVE YEARS ! Let me repeat....FIVE YEARS ! Whether he was injured, or on the field, he had ample time to learn the game both on and off the field. Rodgers has had just as many starts as Smith. Eli started having success in less starts, and so has Vince Young. How much more time does Smith need ?

This really bugs me.

So you're telling me that Alex was out there practicing during that time? We all know he wasn't. The time was absolutely not equal.

Alex couldn't even throw because of his injuries. Nor could he attend any games aside from home games while on IR. That's a huge, huge difference in two big ways. You can only get so much from the team meetings and attending half of your team's games, "watching and learning" ..
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 9ermj:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by Ether:

Jesus

Thank you. All I asked was if it was ok for a Brad Johnson type player to hang around for the next 1-12 years. I acknowledged that there was nothing wrong with Brad Johnson. If I had asked if it was ok for a Tom Brady type player to hang around for the next 10-12 years, would i have gotten the same reaction ?

The part where you called him a bust is what people are talking about, but you knew that already, unlike ninersrule4, who posted without reading the post people were justly critiquing.

No, people are reacting because I maxed his potential to ONLY Brad Johnson. Apparently, the zone is riding high on Alex Smith after his one good performance. They would like to remain in their fantasy world, and even if Alex's play plummeted in the coming weeks, we'd go back to the good ole fashion excuses eg bad oline, poor OC, receivers drop passes, etc.

No people are reacting to the later post in this thread where you contradicted your original post by calling Smith a bust. Not one person on here has said anything about your comparing Johnson and Smith other than criticizing you for acting like you know the future. Just stop trolling if it hurts your feelings when you get stomped on for it. If you post nonsense like this on these boards you will surely be hammered for it.

Ive been calling Alex a bust for the last 4 years; still havent gotten this type of reaction from the Zone. Everyone knows my view on Smith; I doubt they'd spend 10 pages trying to "convince" me otherwise that Smith is a viable QB.

It's definitely the BJohnson comparison. Geez, people have high expectations for him. No wonder its so easy to make excuses for Smith everytime he fails. No one wants to accept reality.......

Thats pretty funny because you get responses like this to ALL of your Smith hater posts and threads. Just be man enough to eat crow when you are proved wrong.

Eat crow when Im proven wrong ? In 2005, Alex Smith was drafted as the number 1 overall player.......goes 4 years without a complete game (4 quarters of football)...........and FINALLY gets 1 (one)(uno) under his belt, after 30+ starts in this league..........and you think I should eat crow ? Yes, you certainly proved me wrong.

wow talk about reading comprehension fail. Smith has played a total of what 35 games now? Lets see 35/16, Smith has played a total of 2.18 seasons in 5 years. He has started 5.5 games this season and has improved in every game. When Smith succeeds and you fail at being a couch talent scout, just be sure to be a man and eat your crow when the time comes. Smith will be the QB for the rest of the season as well as next season. So get keep your hater glasses on so you can keep ignoring that fact that Smith isn't the problem.

THANK YOU! EXACTLY! People like to say "He's been in the league 5 years..." blah blah, yet when looking at his total games played (38, btw), he hasnt even played 2.5 seasons. Aaron Rodgers, who sat his first 3 years, has played a total of 34 games... Alex Smith, who was thrown to the fire his rookie year in the WORST offense almost ever, has only played 3 more games than Rodgers. That tells you something.

Funny that you mention Rodgers, considering that their level of play is leagues apart.

Fine.

Vince Young.
Philip Rivers.
Eli Manning.

Actually Smith underperformed just like every other player on the team. The entire team sucked! Now that there is actually some talent around Smith and a HC and OC that are trying to utilize Smith's strengths he and the team are performing much better.

So let me get his clear, you don't think the Niners would be better off getting a man who will be 40 next year, was cut by the Raiders and has not been picked up as of yet like ZRF proposes? Even if Smith continues progressing (though ZRFs standard seems to be he has to win out - never mind that this team looked a far-sight from being a playoff team by halftime of the Texan game) don't you think it will be in the Niners best interest to dust off Garcia? I'm not sure because I know that ZRF prides himself on seeing through the B.S. and gazes directly at the truth that we are all blind to. He is not a Smith-hater; he is a Niner-lover. Still, if we have to get someone else, I think I would like the Niners to get Brad Johnson. That kid has a bright future with a high ceilling.

Going with plan C wouldnt make sense, because now you have your "supposed" future QB (Davis) trying to develop, and you've instilled another young guy to compete with him. Also, imagine if Smith doesnt pan out (I know its difficult for some of you to see that, but try really really hard). You have no viable backup to take over for Smith.

So thats leaves us with Plan B. Here's the list of free agent QBs in 2010. Assuming that we need a "bridge" quarterback to hold us over for the next 2-3 years (until Davis or other develops), who would serve as a temporary replacement for Smith ? Obviously we're not going to vye for someone like Campbell, Jackson, or Pennington........who will be looking for longterm roles in their new homes. We have no option but to go for a seasoned veteran. The best of the worst is Garcia, IMO. Now Vick has signed a 1 year contract with the Eagles, with an option for 2010. The Eagles will probably release him, and if he's available, he's the best available through free agency. Are these guys necessarily Superbowl winning quarterbacks ? No. But both have led their teams to playoffs, and could serve as the bridge to our future quarterback.

How do you stand with the way the sand shifts under you. Here is what you said on reply 89 in the "What the experts are saying" thread.

I agree. We've already drafted our future QB. Now we need one through FA to fill the gap until the future is ready to take over......

That was on 11/26. You have said numerous times in other threads that you want the Niners to acquire Vick or Garcia as starters while grooming Davis. I'm sure others remember. Now, out of the blue, you give us Plan A,B, and C so all of the sudden you can save yourself and try to cling to some creditability. Of course, most of know what what you mean by assuming.
[/i]

Shape it in any form you want.....the point is that we need to find a quarterback to bridge the present to the future (Davis). If Alex continues to play like he did vs. Chicago or Tennessee, then I would think it necessary to find a REPLACEMENT for him for the next 2-3 years until Davis is ready to take over. If Alex pans out, then I still think we need to find a quarterback in FA to replace him next year in case he fails or gets injured. If you're asking my opinion, I think the Chicago/Tenn games were more representative of Alex's play than last week's game against the Jags. If thats the case, I would hate for the Niners to waste another year trying to build "around" him, a practice that has proven to be futile when it comes to Alex Smith. Even if he is the starter for 2010, we have seen this rerun before with Hill and Smith. Finishing the season strong, only to tank the following year. Do you want to fall for the same trap again, or would you like to implement a safety measure just in case ?

There's no contradiction here. I think Alex will fail miserably. I think we will have to eventually replace him. Therefore, Im thinking about the future eg Davis.

So you are willing to give Davis 2-3 years to develop and yet you seem personally insulted if anyone suggests you afford Smith the same , I can only assume it's because of where Smith was drafted, something he had no control over, once again you're hatred for Smith is laughable, did he run over your dog ?

Smith has been in the league for FIVE YEARS ! Let me repeat....FIVE YEARS ! Whether he was injured, or on the field, he had ample time to learn the game both on and off the field. Rodgers has had just as many starts as Smith. Eli started having success in less starts, and so has Vince Young. How much more time does Smith need ?

This really bugs me.

So you're telling me that Alex was out there practicing during that time? We all know he wasn't. The time was absolutely not equal.

Alex couldn't even throw because of his injuries. Nor could he attend any games aside from home games while on IR. That's a huge, huge difference in two big ways. You can only get so much from the team meetings and attending half of your team's games, "watching and learning" ..

I doubt Rogers was getting practice with the "1's" either while Favre was there. More likely Rogers ran the scout team.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:59 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by crzy:
Vick?

I'd rather have Alex Smith

I know, it's a toss up. But Vick led his team to the NFC Championship game at one point. Alex........well........he won last week.

Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl.

drew brees never even made the confrence championchip yet i think saints should go after vick as well

Brees was in the NFC Title game against the Bears in his first season in NO
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by crzy:
Vick?

I'd rather have Alex Smith

I know, it's a toss up. But Vick led his team to the NFC Championship game at one point. Alex........well........he won last week.

Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl.

drew brees never even made the confrence championchip yet i think saints should go after vick as well

pssh, brees sucks. I mean, he only threw for 5069 yards last year.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

I doubt Rogers was getting practice with the "1's" either while Favre was there. More likely Rogers ran the scout team.

a few things. rodgers would have gotten plenty of practice time in those years and i am sure plenty of time with the #1's since favre didn't participate in TC, and probably did not practice much.

NOW. alex smith has not had 5 years. he had half of his rookie year(which was bulls**t) then his 2nd year where he showed A LOT of improvement from year 1, then he had 3 games in year 3 before our OLine's lack of scheme got alex destroyed, and NONE NONE of those games after that count. then in year 4 he gets put on IR and can not play.

so here we are in year 3 of alex smith and surprise he is starting to play like a 3 year QB, after SURPRISE we get a legitimate QB coach.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:04 AM ]
ZRF80 is officially a Douchbag in my book
iono if his ceiling is brad johnson, but having brad johnson as our QB isn't the worst thing in the world... better than Alex Smith of the past.

Jesus

Fine.

Vince Young.
Philip Rivers.
Eli Manning.

[/i]

FIVE YEARS under FIVE COORDINATORS. Let me put it to you this way. One offensive scheme to another: The language is different, the timing and reads are different, the scheme is different, even the throwing lanes are different. I know that even in college it is difficult for a freshman QB because I've seen it first hand. An offensive playbook in the NFL is 3 times as thick as college. I can't speak for Alex but if I had to guess a new coordinator would be like learning Greek from scratch on a two hour flight then landing and trying to communicate effectively.

You have no idea what you're talking about is the bottom line. Even saying what Alex may or may not do is stupid. Comparing him to Brad Johnson is idiotic. They are nothing alike athletically.

I'm actually losing IQ points every time you type.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

Jesus

Fine.

Vince Young.
Philip Rivers.
Eli Manning.

[/i]

FIVE YEARS under FIVE COORDINATORS. Let me put it to you this way. One offensive scheme to another: The language is different, the timing and reads are different, the scheme is different, even the throwing lanes are different. I know that even in college it is difficult for a freshman QB because I've seen it first hand. An offensive playbook in the NFL is 3 times as thick as college. I can't speak for Alex but if I had to guess a new coordinator would be like learning Greek from scratch on a two hour flight then landing and trying to communicate effectively.

You have no idea what you're talking about is the bottom line. Even saying what Alex may or may not do is stupid. Comparing him to Brad Johnson is idiotic. They are nothing alike athletically.

I'm actually losing IQ points every time you type.

I'm losing IQ points and he's not even typing right now.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
I think he could be a multiple pro bowler. And superbowl champ if the niners get rid of raye. But I guess Im alone..... Only wolf in this pack

i started out in a one man wolf pack. then i added you. and now im adding you two guys to my wolf pack... classic line. and probowls, superbowls and golden toilet bowls for alex smith and his san francisco 49ers

Anyone else?

What is up with all these stupid threads comparing Smith to other QB's? Alex Smith is Alex Smith...
Originally posted by SJniner7:
What is up with all these stupid threads comparing Smith to other QB's? Alex Smith is Alex Smith...

You know what SJ, as a brotha from Jersey myself, im right there with ya. Since the beginning of his career, the most popular comparison by some of us zoners was Ryan Leaf. Now Brad Johnson.

I dont get it either, why cant his max potential be whatever he makes it? Also with some of the threads you have to look at the individual that started it.

For arguments sake lets say you have two fans. Yungace, and Joe cool. If Yung makes a post it's probably gonna be positive, but also giving areas of improvement. If cool posts you can be sure that 99.9% of the time, it will be in regards to something negative.

So it just comes down to who posts as opposed to what the post is talkin about.

W
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Jesus

Fine.

Vince Young.
Philip Rivers.
Eli Manning.

[/i]

This really bugs me.

I said nothing about practicing with the "1's" -- I stated the bare facts that Smith's injuries prevented him from even being able to throw a football.

To say their time is equal when Rodgers could actually throw in practice, REGARDLESS of whether it was with the 2nd teamers or scout team, whatever the case.. Rodgers could practice, he was on the sidelines for every game, he could have come in and played in any given game obviously, and he had to be prepared for that.

That's an enormous difference when you consider Smith couldn't throw, couldn't practice, couldn't prepare for gamedays, could only attend half the games, and so on. To not recognize such a disparity, one would have to be making themselves utterly blind to it all.
  • rulo
  • Veteran
I dont know who is more stupid.....
the original poster for keeping posting this kind of s**tty threads...or you guys for making this lame ass thread a 22 pages long thread and counting... you are just making him want to keep posting this s**t!!!

just ignore this a*****e.
Would you guys prefer a Brad Johnson or Tom Brady for the next 10 years ?

Seriously. Assuming that Alex "pans" out, we all know that he will never become a Brady/Manning type player. He doesnt have the "it" factor, and can only function as a systems quarterback. In other words, feed him a playbook and expect him to execute. Basically, his career as a Niner will be similar to someone like Brad Johnson's (Vikings/Bucs).

Thats not to say that Brad Johnson wasnt effective. He was poised, accurate, moved the chains.....even won a Superbowl. But at the end, you knew he needed a lot going for him (eg defense, running game, etc.) in order to be successful.

So would you guys be okay with Smith, knowing that we will have our Brad Johnson (assuming he maxes out on potential) for the next 10-12 years ? A guy that will keep us close in games, but not be able to pull off the big one when needed ? Not to expect too much from him if the game goes down to the wire and he has to execute a 2 minute drill ?

Or would you guys prefer a Brady/Manning type player, able to adjust accordingly to game situations ? The ability to improvise, confuse defenses, have teams specifically gameplan against him ?

Be honest.......cause even the Smith supporters know that you cannot "teach" a QB to be great. Alex may become very effective, but he will never be like a Joe Montana/Steve Young mold.

What say you............is Brad Johnson "good" enough for the next 12 years ?

As Smith plays increasingly better, you lose credibility with your stubborn clinging to the notion that Smith's upside is so limited. He's 25, he has a good arm, he has good mobility, he works hard, he looks good in the spread, and he seems to be playing with more confidence as he gains experience and playing time. I don't think the guy has maxed out. Put him behind a really good offensive line and I'm not so sure he would produce like a Brady or Manning. He certainly has the physical tools to keep up with them. As long as the mental part of his game continues on an improving trajectory, and it has been, then it looks like you are just stubbornly vested in your thesis that he's mediocre at best.
Share 49ersWebzone