There are 152 users in the forums

Goldson starting SS in 2010??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I would love to move this guy to SS next year and allow Reggie Smith to start at FS. He would add some much needed speed to our secondary and it would allow Goldson to do what he does best and that's hit people(Like Sing said he wants to annihilate people).

Remember Lewis has had many concussions and he's not getting any younger....what do you guys think?

You keep lewis the guy is one the best at SS. Goldson has some work to keep his job...first is to learn how to wrap up and lay the big hit because this guy has miffed a ton this year.

I think the best thing though would be to move clements to FS.

I agree with you on Goldson and I like Lewis....but the reality is he's had a ton of concussions and we can't count him for a full season....we gotta start thinking about his replacement...in order to stay ahead of the curve.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Goldson is playing like sh*t right now.

He needs to learn how to tackle, he has a chance to make some nice plays but because he tries to go for the knockout hit he always misses, If we would jsut wrap up we wouldnt be having this conversation

Agreed,plus he needs to start getting int's like he apparently has done many times in in tc and practice
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
if nate stays then what?

Then he plays corner or nickel....it's not like he would've wanted to move to saftey anyway....he's to prideful, remember he's: Nate"Lockdown" Clements.

I can't believe No one has faith or seen anything positive in R. Smith. I was excited when we drafted him. He's a ballhawking FS....we gotta get this guy on the field. Am I the only one who feels that way?

nate is probably gonna want to be a starter, be it FS or corner. shoot id even give a shot at SS. he doesnt have the wheels to cover those guys (slot) all over the field. however i think hes the best tackler (he is the best hitter) out of the bunch even though he does make his share of mistakes but most of those i think are because hes over aggressive sometimes. as far as r. smith is concerned we havent seen him play enough so to give him the job just wouldnt make that much sense imo. training camp monster regular season underachiever.... weve seen that before. if nate stays then everybodys job is up in the air except for spencer imo. this team has a habit of keeping aging db's and finding a spot in which they can contribute . nate is no different. whatever happens i think there is going to be some change in the D backfield as long as it ends up better than before ill be happy

But that's why we need to get him on the field. We may already have a Ball hawking FS on the team. I'm not saying give him the job....I just hope Sing allows him to compete for it in the offseason.....there's nothing I've seen from Goldson to make me believe he deserves to go unchalleneged next year. Or like you said Nate....I just don't think he has the ego to play safety....but I don't know the guy so who knows.

competition breeds success!
go niners
Clements at F S an you will see a big turn around on defense he's too slow he could be a Lott back there!
What separates Berry from Huff?

Both rated extremely high coming into the draft.
Originally posted by mullintrax:
goldson to strong and clements to free????

This is not madden.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
What separates Berry from Huff?

Both rated extremely high coming into the draft.

Berry is a ball-hawk with all-around playmaking skills while Huff was an overrated prospect who couldn't tackle or cover.

Berry is the best safety prospect in the draft since Sean Taylor.
I like Goldson as a SS more than FS...because he'd likely play closer to the LOS and make a ton of hits. Not sure Reggie Smith's the guy for FS, either, as he's been injury-plagued a lot. I'd love to come out of the 1st round with the best OT and FS on the board. Berry's the best, but Mays would be ok, too.
Would be nice to upgrade. I don't like what I've seen this year from him.

He needs to learn how to tackle, he has a chance to make some nice plays but because he tries to go for the knockout hit he always misses, If we would jsut wrap up we wouldnt be having this conversation

yea it was a couple of times that he missed mjd and garrad on sunday

Originally posted by 228niner:

yea it was a couple of times that he missed mjd and garrad on sunday

I have a problem with him not making plays. Where's the turnovers? Wasn't he suppose to be an upgrade over Roman in that area?
I will say Goldson is a younger version of Michael Lewis. He is a hard hitter, maybe not as good in run support as Lewis and a liability in coverage. I'd prefer a ball hawking FS and down grade him to SS. It would make our secondary instantly better.
there are times when i think Roman should be the starter.........................

............and that's sad.
i wouldnt mind it...

ALTHOUGH..

i would be EXTACTIC if we drafted the USC safety taylor mays.. that guy is a ronnie lott/ed reed type talent. he's going to be special. and, he may be within our draft reach because of the panthers.
Couple notes:
1) Eric Berry will probably be long gone before the Niners pick. I have a hard time seeing him project past the 7th overall pick. Something extraordinary would have to happen. So, to me, injecting him into the conversation is almost worthless.

2) Goldson is probably best suited to compete for a starting position at SS with Reggie Smith down the road, maybe when M. Lewis calls it quits.

3) I don't see enough from Goldson to feel comfortable with him starting at FS for any length of time. Doesn't seem to have the best feel for making plays at FS.

4) Nate Clements should play where Nate Clements always plays, at cornerback. Even if he is not as good as he was a few years ago, the guy can still play the game.

5) If the Niners want value at FS, they should take a serious look at Nate Allen of South Florida in the second round of this draft. The guy is a natural free safety, and should be able to step in right away and start in the NFL.

6) Someone wake me up when Taylor Mays makes one play that changes a game. He looks much more like Bing than Polamalu. That being said, I hope he runs a 4.12 at the combine and the Raiders draft him.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone