LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 425 users in the forums

Goldson starting SS in 2010??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought Goldson would be a upgrade over Roman.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
goldson is nothing more than a quality backup. eric berry is the way to go if he's on the board when we first pick.

We need to address the issues on our O-Line before we look at that position.

If Berry is on the board when we get to pick, we take him no question. We can always pick up a vet lineman via free agency, we have lots of cash for next off season.

yeah it's real easy to pick up quality OL in FA after the draft. that's why the 9ers line has taken what 7 years to fix itself and we're still not there yet. Point is we need to add 3 OL and if we don't get at least 2 in FA prior to the draft the OL needs to be addressed with both 1st round picks.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I thought Goldson would be a upgrade over Roman.

He is.. Mike Rumph would have been an upgrade to Roman.. That being said i say we push for Eric Berry this draft
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Taylor Mays > Eric Berry > Mark Roman

Man Mays cannot cover, he is going to be an OLB or SS in the pros and Berry will be a FS in the pros, which is where our glaring need is. I don't know what makes you blind to the fact that Berry is a superior DB in every single facet of the game, but it is the general consensus.

How many more years can Michael Lewis fly around getting concussions for us? Lewis is almost 30. I guarantee that Mays is drafted higher than Eric Berry. All you guys are hyping up Eric Berry like he's the next Ronnie Lott. I don't think so. Mays > Berry.

Dude you are out of your mind...Mays cannot cover and doesn't wrap up. The stats speak for themselves, Berry has better numbers against better competition...across the board. Saying Mays is like Dawkins is ridiculous, Dawkins is effective in pass defense, Mays is not.
as long as he doesn't have to tackle he'll be fine
Taylor Mays > Eric Berry > Mark Roman

Man Mays cannot cover, he is going to be an OLB or SS in the pros and Berry will be a FS in the pros, which is where our glaring need is. I don't know what makes you blind to the fact that Berry is a superior DB in every single facet of the game, but it is the general consensus.

How many more years can Michael Lewis fly around getting concussions for us? Lewis is almost 30. I guarantee that Mays is drafted higher than Eric Berry. All you guys are hyping up Eric Berry like he's the next Ronnie Lott. I don't think so. Mays > Berry.

Dude you are out of your mind...Mays cannot cover and doesn't wrap up. The stats speak for themselves, Berry has better numbers against better competition...across the board. Saying Mays is like Dawkins is ridiculous, Dawkins is effective in pass defense, Mays is not.

LOL bigmike pass what your smoking dude. everyone in the USA other than the insane, lunatic, usc homers will tell you berry is hands down absolutely on a different level than mays is and will ever be. s**t theres some usc fans who will say berry is better and arent impress with mays
Yea sorry bigmike but Memphis9er is right Berry all day long over Mays.
if nate stays then what?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
if nate stays then what?

Then he plays corner or nickel....it's not like he would've wanted to move to saftey anyway....he's to prideful, remember he's: Nate"Lockdown" Clements.

I can't believe No one has faith or seen anything positive in R. Smith. I was excited when we drafted him. He's a ballhawking FS....we gotta get this guy on the field. Am I the only one who feels that way?
  • Veteran
If he would use his brain a little more, then he'll be alright.

Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
if nate stays then what?

Then he plays corner or nickel....it's not like he would've wanted to move to saftey anyway....he's to prideful, remember he's: Nate"Lockdown" Clements.

I can't believe No one has faith or seen anything positive in R. Smith. I was excited when we drafted him. He's a ballhawking FS....we gotta get this guy on the field. Am I the only one who feels that way?

nate is probably gonna want to be a starter, be it FS or corner. shoot id even give a shot at SS. he doesnt have the wheels to cover those guys (slot) all over the field. however i think hes the best tackler (he is the best hitter) out of the bunch even though he does make his share of mistakes but most of those i think are because hes over aggressive sometimes. as far as r. smith is concerned we havent seen him play enough so to give him the job just wouldnt make that much sense imo. training camp monster regular season underachiever.... weve seen that before. if nate stays then everybodys job is up in the air except for spencer imo. this team has a habit of keeping aging db's and finding a spot in which they can contribute . nate is no different. whatever happens i think there is going to be some change in the D backfield as long as it ends up better than before ill be happy
It's gonna be interesting to see what happens with the DBs next year.

Harris, Hudson, Bly, K.Smith, and Roman will be FAs. Bly was a really good pick-up IMO. We all hate Roman, but the guy has played well of late as the nickel or dime back.

Also, M.Lewis will be making alot of money for a guy with concussion issues and declining performance. Same goes for Nate, ALOT of money for a guy that gets burned alot.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I would love to move this guy to SS next year and allow Reggie Smith to start at FS. He would add some much needed speed to our secondary and it would allow Goldson to do what he does best and that's hit people(Like Sing said he wants to annihilate people).

Remember Lewis has had many concussions and he's not getting any younger....what do you guys think?

You keep lewis the guy is one the best at SS. Goldson has some work to keep his job...first is to learn how to wrap up and lay the big hit because this guy has miffed a ton this year.

I think the best thing though would be to move clements to FS.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
goldson is nothing more than a quality backup. eric berry is the way to go if he's on the board when we first pick.

Agreed. He's a bit better than Roman but not a high quality starter or even an average starter at this point.
if nate stays then what?

nate is probably gonna want to be a starter, be it FS or corner. shoot id even give a shot at SS. he doesnt have the wheels to cover those guys (slot) all over the field. however i think hes the best tackler (he is the best hitter) out of the bunch even though he does make his share of mistakes but most of those i think are because hes over aggressive sometimes. as far as r. smith is concerned we havent seen him play enough so to give him the job just wouldnt make that much sense imo. training camp monster regular season underachiever.... weve seen that before. if nate stays then everybodys job is up in the air except for spencer imo. this team has a habit of keeping aging db's and finding a spot in which they can contribute . nate is no different. whatever happens i think there is going to be some change in the D backfield as long as it ends up better than before ill be happy

But that's why we need to get him on the field. We may already have a Ball hawking FS on the team. I'm not saying give him the job....I just hope Sing allows him to compete for it in the offseason.....there's nothing I've seen from Goldson to make me believe he deserves to go unchalleneged next year. Or like you said Nate....I just don't think he has the ego to play safety....but I don't know the guy so who knows.
Share 49ersWebzone