LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

Shaun Hill was in the shotgun more than Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by taney71:
Hill was in the Shotgun more, yes, but how many times has Hill passed when he was in the Shotgun opposed to when Hill was in it we ran a delay. All I know is, now that Smith is in or has been starting, we have been passing the ball more.

Agreed. But there is not point to pass with Hill in the game. He just didnt' have the arm to make all the throws needed of an NFL QB.

No point, then why start Hill anyway?? When Hill was given an opportunity to get into a rhythm passing he did quite well. Sure his passes don't look as crisp as Smith's, but he has a good enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL to win games, I just don't see how people can ignore that.

But Hill DIDNT have the arm to consistently make the required throws. Do you not remember the ducks he threw? The punt that Morgan dropped? I mean come on you pro Hill guys. I know memory can be selective, but if your truely being unbiased, then "Hill can make all the throws" staement HAS to be omited, cause it's simply not true. Period and end of discussion. THATS why Smith is starting. THATS the ONLY reason Smith is starting.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Hill was in the Shotgun more, yes, but how many times has Hill passed when he was in the Shotgun opposed to when Hill was in it we ran a delay. All I know is, now that Smith is in or has been starting, we have been passing the ball more.

Agreed. But there is not point to pass with Hill in the game. He just didnt' have the arm to make all the throws needed of an NFL QB.

No point, then why start Hill anyway?? When Hill was given an opportunity to get into a rhythm passing he did quite well. Sure his passes don't look as crisp as Smith's, but he has a good enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL to win games, I just don't see how people can ignore that.

I think under the right situation Hill can do well. However, during the course of a season I think defenses clearly started reading what Hill did well and poorly. That is why they started putting 8 and 9 folks in the box.

How much of that was due to the run up the middle 90% of the time play calling though?

LB

Very true. I know we bash Raye for that but I think alot of the blame should be placed on Singletary. He wanted a run first offense and Raye was just following orders.
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Quote:
Fiction: The 49ers have been more likely to use the shotgun with Smith at quarterback. They might be trending in that direction. In reality, though, former starter Shaun Hill has attempted a higher percentage of his 2009 passes from the shotgun, 49.6 percent to 47.4 percent.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Interesting!

49.6 percent doesn appear to be so much when the guy was only allowed to throw 5 times a game.

And why are we talking about the past?

allowed to throw 5 times a game??? The stats in the thread show that he passed out of the shotfun more than Smith.

This really isn't your day is it. He only posted the percentage so it really doesn't matter who threw MORE than it does on who threw a more percentage of shotgun. Hill attempts 12 throws in a game and 6 of those are out of shotgun.

I was just joking anyways.

49.6 percent of Hill's PASSES!!!!!! were out of the shotgun. The thread is about who was in the shotgun more. Hill attempted more than 12 passes in a game. But keep making excuses the great hillusionist

The season is NOT over yet and one win against a mediocre team DOESN'T make your QB the Super Stud that you think he is. Let's see what he does in the next three games. I'm willing to bet that if he loses, as ALWAYS ... Your excuse will be that it WON'T be his fault.

ill save that last quote for after sundays win lol some niner fans are always negative,damn get off the board and cheer for another team thats why we are called faithful cause we stick by them loss or win

There's a difference between being faithful and defending your favorite player to the hilt and NOT seeing his faults when he makes a mistake. I was from the beginning a Jerry Rice fan, but when he first started out. he dropped a lot of passes. But I didn't put blame on everybody else around him for his dropped passes when clearly they were his fault!

So my only contention is when Smith screws up ... admit it and STOP putting the blame on somebody else. Is that really too hard to comprehend?
Originally posted by WINiner:

But Hill DIDNT have the arm to consistently make the required throws. Do you not remember the ducks he threw? The punt that Morgan dropped? I mean come on you pro Hill guys. I know memory can be selective, but if your truely being unbiased, then "Hill can make all the throws" staement HAS to be omited, cause it's simply not true. Period and end of discussion. THATS why Smith is starting. THATS the ONLY reason Smith is starting.

Hey, that "punt" caught Morgan behind the defense and Morgan should have caught it for a TD. It is no different than that spectacular catch Crabs made last week that was underthrown by Smith which would have went for a TD if thrown accurately.

Hey, that "punt" caught Morgan behind the defense and Morgan should have caught it for a TD. It is no different than that spectacular catch Crabs made last week that was underthrown by Smith which would have went for a TD if thrown accurately.

Smiths was underthrown cause he missed and threw it to the wrong spot. His still had a horizontal agle when it was underthrown. Hills was underthrown cause he doesn't have the arm to get it there.

There is a HUGE difference in being innacurate and plain not being able to get it there.....

Smiths was underthrown cause he missed and threw it to the wrong spot. His still had a horizontal agle when it was underthrown. Hills was underthrown cause he doesn't have the arm to get it there.

There is a HUGE difference in being innacurate and plain not being able to get it there.....

That and even the best QBs are innacruate and their WRs bail them out. Happened to Peyton Manning this past week. Not comparing Smith to Manning; just saying a good QB needs WRs to help out at times.

And certainly that a QB needs receivers NOT to drop balls. I believe the 9ers lead the league in Smith's second year in dropped passes. Last week we had VD dropping at least passes and Crabs doing it twice with one for an easy TD.
Share 49ersWebzone