There are 207 users in the forums

Shaun Hill was in the shotgun more than Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Hill was in the Shotgun more, yes, but how many times has Hill passed when he was in the Shotgun opposed to when Hill was in it we ran a delay. All I know is, now that Smith is in or has been starting, we have been passing the ball more.

Agreed. But there is not point to pass with Hill in the game. He just didnt' have the arm to make all the throws needed of an NFL QB.

No point, then why start Hill anyway?? When Hill was given an opportunity to get into a rhythm passing he did quite well. Sure his passes don't look as crisp as Smith's, but he has a good enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL to win games, I just don't see how people can ignore that.
Hill was in the Shotgun more, yes, but how many times has Hill passed when he was in the Shotgun opposed to when Hill was in it we ran a delay. All I know is, now that Smith is in or has been starting, we have been passing the ball more.

Agreed. But there is not point to pass with Hill in the game. He just didnt' have the arm to make all the throws needed of an NFL QB.

No point, then why start Hill anyway?? When Hill was given an opportunity to get into a rhythm passing he did quite well. Sure his passes don't look as crisp as Smith's, but he has a good enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL to win games, I just don't see how people can ignore that.

Why does anyone care about Hill? He has no starting future here. None.

Get over it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Get over it.

Because I'm discussing my point of view or my opinion. Don't like it, don't reply simple as that.

I think under the right situation Hill can do well. However, during the course of a season I think defenses clearly started reading what Hill did well and poorly. That is why they started putting 8 and 9 folks in the box.
Smith >>> Hill
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I think under the right situation Hill can do well. However, during the course of a season I think defenses clearly started reading what Hill did well and poorly. That is why they started putting 8 and 9 folks in the box.

They were actually putting 8 in the box last year with Hill in. I just think it was more than just what Hill did, but regardless, our offense is doing fine right now, we just need to keep it up. I just hope if something happens to Smith the play calling doesn't change.

Hill has an arm for a short to mid passing game, He can make alot of the throws but his arm handicaps the O....
[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Quote:
Fiction: The 49ers have been more likely to use the shotgun with Smith at quarterback. They might be trending in that direction. In reality, though, former starter Shaun Hill has attempted a higher percentage of his 2009 passes from the shotgun, 49.6 percent to 47.4 percent.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Interesting!

49.6 percent doesn appear to be so much when the guy was only allowed to throw 5 times a game.

And why are we talking about the past?

allowed to throw 5 times a game??? The stats in the thread show that he passed out of the shotfun more than Smith.

This really isn't your day is it. He only posted the percentage so it really doesn't matter who threw MORE than it does on who threw a more percentage of shotgun. Hill attempts 12 throws in a game and 6 of those are out of shotgun.

I was just joking anyways.

49.6 percent of Hill's PASSES!!!!!! were out of the shotgun. The thread is about who was in the shotgun more. Hill attempted more than 12 passes in a game. But keep making excuses the great hillusionist

The season is NOT over yet and one win against a mediocre team DOESN'T make your QB the Super Stud that you think he is. Let's see what he does in the next three games. I'm willing to bet that if he loses, as ALWAYS ... Your excuse will be that it WON'T be his fault.

ill save that last quote for after sundays win lol some niner fans are always negative,damn get off the board and cheer for another team thats why we are called faithful cause we stick by them loss or win

Get over it.

Because I'm discussing my point of view or my opinion. Don't like it, don't reply simple as that.

No, I think it's better to reply and tell you how pointless this discussion is.

The Hill Smith debate is over with. Let it go.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:35 AM ]
According to these stats, Smith has thrown about 15 more passes from the shotgun than Hill did, however, he's also passed about 41 times more than he did in the same number of games.

What these stats are saying is that we aren't calling any more shotgun plays than we would have called anyway. We are however calling more passing plays than we would have under Hill.

The stat was being used to disprove the theory that we are moving to a shotgun offense under Smith, and those stats support the thesis. What can be shown is that we are moving to a pass first offense under Smith, but Raye isn't drastically changing the formations that he used to pass from earlier, just doing it more often.

How much of that was due to the run up the middle 90% of the time play calling though?

LB
Originally posted by B650:
Quote:
Fiction: The 49ers have been more likely to use the shotgun with Smith at quarterback. They might be trending in that direction. In reality, though, former starter Shaun Hill has attempted a higher percentage of his 2009 passes from the shotgun, 49.6 percent to 47.4 percent.

Interesting!

49.6 percent doesn appear to be so much when the guy was only allowed to throw 5 times a game.

allowed to throw 5 times a game??? The stats in the thread show that he passed out of the shotfun more than Smith.

This really isn't your day is it. He only posted the percentage so it really doesn't matter who threw MORE than it does on who threw a more percentage of shotgun. Hill attempts 12 throws in a game and 6 of those are out of shotgun.

49.6 percent of Hill's PASSES!!!!!! were out of the shotgun. The thread is about who was in the shotgun more. Hill attempted more than 12 passes in a game. But keep making excuses the great hillusionist

The season is NOT over yet and one win against a mediocre team DOESN'T make your QB the Super Stud that you think he is. Let's see what he does in the next three games. I'm willing to bet that if he loses, as ALWAYS ... Your excuse will be that it WON'T be his fault.

Once the games begin to matter again, he may cave. This was a comfortable game for him and it never got close except for the opening kickoff.

It sounds like you're blaming Smith for playing so well that he put the game out of reach. It was a must-win game and he came out and owned a pretty good team (they were 6-4 going into the game). It's funny how the very few people who are still Smith haters come up with any excuse they can to make it seem like they're right. When Smith beat Chicago, it was because he never got comfortable and was unable to put them away. When Smith beat Jacksonville, it was because he played too well and got too comfortable.

We still have a chance to make it to the playoffs and our future is looking bright right now. Maybe you should enjoy it, because the more Smith and the 49ers succeed, the more people will stop caring about what you have to say, and the more foolish you'll look. I don't know about you, but the majority of the people on this board are 49ers fans. Are you? It seems like you're a Hill fan. It's getting old, especially since Hill is a non-factor now.

Isn't it interesting that a 6-4 team is deemed a ""crap" team" after Smith beats them. Hell, they aren't even "average" after the loss even though they're now at 6-5 which is above .500.

~Ceadder

Get over it.

What if your point of view is stupid?...

j/k Kolohe.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 915Niner915:
Quote:

Interesting!

I'll save that last quote for after sundays win.( lol) Some niner fans are always negative,damn get off the board and cheer for another team thats why we are called "Faithful"". Cause we stick by them loss or win

It warms the heart to see such dedication in a n00b so young.

And fixed as well.

~Ceadder
the difference is smith threw more than 4 yards out of the shotgun
Share 49ersWebzone