Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Quote:
Fiction: The 49ers have been more likely to use the shotgun with Smith at quarterback. They might be trending in that direction. In reality, though, former starter Shaun Hill has attempted a higher percentage of his 2009 passes from the shotgun, 49.6 percent to 47.4 percent.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

Interesting!

49.6 percent doesn appear to be so much when the guy was only allowed to throw 5 times a game.

And why are we talking about the past?

allowed to throw 5 times a game??? The stats in the thread show that he passed out of the shotfun more than Smith.

This really isn't your day is it. He only posted the percentage so it really doesn't matter who threw MORE than it does on who threw a more percentage of shotgun. Hill attempts 12 throws in a game and 6 of those are out of shotgun.

I was just joking anyways.

49.6 percent of Hill's PASSES!!!!!! were out of the shotgun. The thread is about who was in the shotgun more. Hill attempted more than 12 passes in a game. But keep making excuses the great hillusionist

The season is NOT over yet and one win against a mediocre team DOESN'T make your QB the Super Stud that you think he is. Let's see what he does in the next three games. I'm willing to bet that if he loses, as ALWAYS ... Your excuse will be that it WON'T be his fault.

Once the games begin to matter again, he may cave. This was a comfortable game for him and it never got close except for the opening kickoff.

It sounds like you're blaming Smith for playing so well that he put the game out of reach. It was a must-win game and he came out and owned a pretty good team (they were 6-4 going into the game). It's funny how the very few people who are still Smith haters come up with any excuse they can to make it seem like they're right. When Smith beat Chicago, it was because he never got comfortable and was unable to put them away. When Smith beat Jacksonville, it was because he played too well and got too comfortable.

We still have a chance to make it to the playoffs and our future is looking bright right now. Maybe you should enjoy it, because the more Smith and the 49ers succeed, the more people will stop caring what you have to say, and the more foolish you'll look. I don't know about you, but the majority of the people on this board are 49ers fans. Are you? It seems like you're a Hill fan. It's getting old, especially since Hill is a non-factor now.

No no, I will give him credit for that but we still have not seen him where each and every drive could decide the game, well, we have against TEN and he failed big time. He needs to come through when it's 10-7 in the 3rd quarter and not tighten up or become conservative to a fault.

He played well against the Colts, which was a close game throughout. It's too bad the defense couldn't get the ball back one final time. You can say the same thing about the Packers game.

We'll see. I have a feeling that the Seahawks game is going to be a close one. There's always going to be something though. Even if he wins the close one, it won't matter because he didn't throw for 400 yards.
Originally posted by B650:
Quote:
Fiction: The 49ers have been more likely to use the shotgun with Smith at quarterback. They might be trending in that direction. In reality, though, former starter Shaun Hill has attempted a higher percentage of his 2009 passes from the shotgun, 49.6 percent to 47.4 percent.

Interesting!

49.6 percent doesn appear to be so much when the guy was only allowed to throw 5 times a game.

allowed to throw 5 times a game??? The stats in the thread show that he passed out of the shotfun more than Smith.

This really isn't your day is it. He only posted the percentage so it really doesn't matter who threw MORE than it does on who threw a more percentage of shotgun. Hill attempts 12 throws in a game and 6 of those are out of shotgun.

49.6 percent of Hill's PASSES!!!!!! were out of the shotgun. The thread is about who was in the shotgun more. Hill attempted more than 12 passes in a game. But keep making excuses the great hillusionist

The season is NOT over yet and one win against a mediocre team DOESN'T make your QB the Super Stud that you think he is. Let's see what he does in the next three games. I'm willing to bet that if he loses, as ALWAYS ... Your excuse will be that it WON'T be his fault.

Once the games begin to matter again, he may cave. This was a comfortable game for him and it never got close except for the opening kickoff.

It sounds like you're blaming Smith for playing so well that he put the game out of reach. It was a must-win game and he came out and owned a pretty good team (they were 6-4 going into the game). It's funny how the very few people who are still Smith haters come up with any excuse they can to make it seem like they're right. When Smith beat Chicago, it was because he never got comfortable and was unable to put them away. When Smith beat Jacksonville, it was because he played too well and got too comfortable.

We still have a chance to make it to the playoffs and our future is looking bright right now. Maybe you should enjoy it, because the more Smith and the 49ers succeed, the more people will stop caring what you have to say, and the more foolish you'll look. I don't know about you, but the majority of the people on this board are 49ers fans. Are you? It seems like you're a Hill fan. It's getting old, especially since Hill is a non-factor now.

No no, I will give him credit for that but we still have not seen him where each and every drive could decide the game, well, we have against TEN and he failed big time. He needs to come through when it's 10-7 in the 3rd quarter and not tighten up or become conservative to a fault.

Wow, so unless Smith pulls through in a particular type of situation...he's not playing up to par??? WTF man, you've fallen off the deep end man.

So I guess in 1994 when we were blowing teams out...Steve Young really was a sucky QB because we never saw him come through when it was 10-7 in the third quarter.

LOL wow.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:

Interesting!

Wow, so unless Smith pulls through in a particular type of situation...he's not playing up to par??? WTF man, you've fallen off the deep end man.

So I guess in 1994 when we were blowing teams out...Steve Young really was a sucky QB because we never saw him come through when it was 10-7 in the third quarter.

LOL wow.

Exactly, and it's not like Smith has never won a close game. Go back to the Arizona home opener in 2007, on MNF. Can there a bigger stage? Smith rallied the team from behind on the final drive for a win. Maybe he was a Patriots fan back then and missed the game. The guy just needs protection. It's obvious to almost everyone.

He isn't going to win every game. He isn't going to win every close game, but he HAS done it before so there's no reason to believe he can't do it again.
Here we go again. Same guys talking about the same guys.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Here we go again. Same guys talking about the same guys.

Arguing over the same 2 guys.
  • ZRF80
Wow. Alex Smith finally has a good game, so who do we use as his measuring stick ? Shaun Hill.

Just goes to show just how "great" Smith is............
Originally posted by lazy:
...and hill still sucked.

Unexciting more so than sucked.
Quote:

Interesting!

Hill who ????
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Quote:

Interesting!

LOL wow.

Actually, IIRC, that was his exact argument against Steve being compared to Joe. Steve dominated games but didn't come back from behind as often as Montana did. Suggesting that he couldn't win the tough games. I.E. Falcons when Hearst went down or Green bay on more than one occassion.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Quote:

Interesting!

Ahh, so the fact that Hill mainly threw the ball on 3rd and longs compared to Alex throwing the ball out of shotgun on first downs doesn't make a difference. Alex has more overall attempts AND he threw out of shotgun on 1st and 2nd downs whereas Hill threw less and was put in 3rd and longs because of more run run pass which explains why he was in a larger percentage of shotgun plays.

As of Sunday I believe they had a similar number of attempts , maybe you just don't remember Hill's passes,you know the passes that hit the dirt in front, behind around the receiver , that had the velocity of the tail end of a 90 year old's P stream
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Hill is not old news. He is our back up QB. Instead of bashing him, remember that if Alex gets hurt, Hill will be in. I am a Hill fan. I don't think he should be our starter, but think he is a pretty good back up. He has a history with our team of coming in as the back up and being pretty successful. We need to let Alex develop and see where he is at seasons end. If the Jacksonville game was a true indication of his abilities, we are in for a great future. Have to wait and see. I think that if something happened to Smith, Hill would be just fine for a couple of games and that is what the back up is supposed to do. He can be pretty accurate, but doesn't have the arm strength for the long throws. The best case scenario is that nothing happens to the starter, but it is football.
Originally posted by lazy:
...and hill still sucked.

I don't think he sucked. He knows the game and did as best as he could with the arm God gave him. If only Hill had a decent arm he would be a starter for years in this league.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Hill was in the Shotgun more, yes, but how many times has Hill passed when he was in the Shotgun opposed to when Hill was in it we ran a delay. All I know is, now that Smith is in or has been starting, we have been passing the ball more.
Interesting stat popped up in the NO- NE game. 56% of passes in the league this year come from the Shotgun, and Brady's in at 75% time. There's no reason why we shouldn't line up Alex in Shotgun at least 60% of the time.

This has become another bash Smith fest for some reason. This stat clearly falls on the coaches.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Hill was in the Shotgun more, yes, but how many times has Hill passed when he was in the Shotgun opposed to when Hill was in it we ran a delay. All I know is, now that Smith is in or has been starting, we have been passing the ball more.

Agreed. But there is not point to pass with Hill in the game. He just didnt' have the arm to make all the throws needed of an NFL QB.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home