There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary take on the oline

Depends on how comfortable Staley feels at whatever spot

if Staley feels he is better at LT, he will start over sims.

if staley says he can play RT for the remainder of the season he will
Originally posted by susweel:
Barry Sims has played surprisingly good.

Sims has played unbelievable at LT, he stays in front of his man, and doesn't get bull rushed too badly.

At RT, he stays in front of his man, no problem, but he gets bull rushed like he is on roller skates.

Perhaps the defensive ends on the left side are smaller and they are trying to use their speed rather then strength.

Even at RT, Sims played well against small, quick guys.

If we were on a playoff run, I would want Sims to stay at LT and put Staley at RT. But since we are not, we need to put Staley back at LT to help his development and then find a RT next year by hook or by crook. Sims looks like a great backup left tackle for the near future.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
What about...Staley @ RT and keep Sims @ LT....?

Would love to see this for the rest of this year, or until the 9ers are eliminated from the playoffs. Then move Staley back for next year. He played better on the R than he has on the L and Sims the opposite. Why not go with their strengths unless it hurts someone's feelings?
Originally posted by PTulini:
Can we move Sims inside to OG when Staley returns?

wouldn't be a bad idea. Sims is clearly better on the left side and Baas completely blows at LG.

Moving Staley to RT will never happen unless the team signed some monster FA LT. Staley was just given a 7 year extension to be the franchise LT. They are not going to keep moving him around, not for Barry Sims at least.
Originally posted by matt49er:

wouldn't be a bad idea. Sims is clearly better on the left side and Baas completely blows at LG.

Moving Staley to RT will never happen unless the team signed some monster FA LT. Staley was just given a 7 year extension to be the franchise LT. They are not going to keep moving him around, not for Barry Sims at least.

Aren't we looking for a stud tackle in the draft next year? In fact, I thought last year the Niners might draft a stud LT and move Staley back to the right side. Scotty eluded to it in an interview. It might not be a bad idea to move Staley back to RT for the rest of the year since there is a good chance that will be his position next year when we draft an OT.

Just a thought. No need to throw rocks....
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by susweel:
Barry Sims has played surprisingly good.

He has been very solid in pass blocking.

Yeah, I can't believe this is the same guy that 99% of us didn't want on our roster and thought it was Kwame part 2 when he filled in for Staley. I'm impressed with this turnaround in performance.

That is probably because he has already stated that he feels more comfortable on the left side and his performance this year has showed

Exactly.

Sims (from what I have seen) = Quality backup LT that can play the position for a good amount of time and s**tty RT
From the Cards game (moving forward) this should be our setup for the rest of the year:

Sims-Wragge-Heitmann-Rachel-Staley

We should seriously consider moving Staley to RT anyways (and from what I know of he works well from both positions) because a solid RT is one of the hardest positions to fill in the NFL (the bind-side is vital to a right-handed QB).

Seriously, we need to remain consistent through the closing stretch (since our offensive adjustments after Staley's injury) and sort everything else out in the off-season.
Keep Sims at left tackle. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Staley can handle the rest of the year at right tackle.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Keep Sims at left tackle. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Staley can handle the rest of the year at right tackle.

That could be an idea. Has Staley ever played RT ?
Staley,Bass,Heitman,Snyder,Sims.
Originally posted by 190836:
Staley,Bass,Heitman,Snyder,Sims.

Not big on Sims playing RT. Look how that worked out last year.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by matt49er:

Aren't we looking for a stud tackle in the draft next year? In fact, I thought last year the Niners might draft a stud LT and move Staley back to the right side. Scotty eluded to it in an interview. It might not be a bad idea to move Staley back to RT for the rest of the year since there is a good chance that will be his position next year when we draft an OT.

Just a thought. No need to throw rocks....

I don't think this team plans on getting a LT in FA or the draft. If a really good player fell to them maybe but they gave Staley a 7 year deal and I can specifically remember him saying by receiving the extension he was told LT was his spot and he was their guy.

I was thinking the same thing
[ Edited by pwilly52 on Nov 30, 2009 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by pwilly52:

I was thinking the same thing

That would be better than Sims at RT where he sucks
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Would love to see this for the rest of this year, or until the 9ers are eliminated from the playoffs. Then move Staley back for next year. He played better on the R than he has on the L and Sims the opposite. Why not go with their strengths unless it hurts someone's feelings?

I agree. It wouldn't be that Sims has beat out Staley for the LT spot, it's just that Snyder is playing so poorly at RT and the only player capable of improving the play at that position is Staley. He has proven he can play the RT position well. If Sims can continue to play well at the LT position, moving Staley would be better for the team overall. Snyder could be relegated to backup duty or moved to one of the guards.
Although the line played well against the anemic Jaguar pass rush, overall they've been consistently bad all year. Why not shake it up a bit and see if the OL play can be improved? Would the only reason preventing moving Staley to RT be due to a bruised ego? If so, he would just have to suck it up and take it for the team.