There are 176 users in the forums

Here comes the annual late season surge

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TX9R:
Nolan's teams did this too. Start decent, blow the season in the middle with a losing streak, play your way out of the postseason, then play well against crappy teams at the end (usually with nothing to play for) and get us excited about next year. Repeat.

Notice how Matt Leinart lit up Tennesee when we couldn't, or that we scored 20 points against a lousy Jax defense, the Bears debacle? Sorry, I'm not buying this as some turnaround, just more of the same we've seen the last decade or so.

Hey negative Nancy, why cant you be happy about a victory? We havent had anything to play for in the month of December for the last 6 seasons.. With a victory in Seattle and a Viking victory over the Cards will setup the biggest game SF has had since the 2002 season.. Monday night Football against the super bowl runner ups and winner has control of the divison!! Come on man get excited!!
[ Edited by Stevec9932 on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by VA49er:
Nolan's teams did this too. Start decent, blow the season in the middle with a losing streak, play your way out of the postseason, then play well against crappy teams at the end (usually with nothing to play for) and get us excited about next year. Repeat.

Notice how Matt Leinart lit up Tennesee when we couldn't, or that we scored 20 points against a lousy Jax defense, the Bears debacle? Sorry, I'm not buying this as some turnaround, just more of the same we've seen the last decade or so.

You do realize that we are only two games back on the Cards right now? We have plenty to play for. Vegas odds will have us finishing our last 5 games 3-2. The only question is can we go 4-1? We "should" beat Seattle, St. Louis, and Detroit. We MUST beat Arizona. If we loose to AZ then we need to beat the eagles and hope AZ drops a second game.
All I'm saying is that we have plenty to play for and I hope you are dead right about a late season surge.

Does any BELIEVE that Lienart has it in him to beat the Vikes?

I don't. So there is the one loss that I know of. They get Green Bay at home so that one is a toss up. If Warner plays they can pull it off. If Lienart plays I don't think they can win. So that could be two.

We NEED to beat them again imho. If only so that we hold the edge in case they win unexpected games.

~Ceadder
You guys are hilarious, if we'd lost the game this board would be flooded with "fire this" and "alex sucks that". Sorry I don't tilt that easily with one win over a sub par team. We haven't beaten a single good team since surprising AZ in week one and have looked unimpressive in beating lousy teams.

Name the impressive teams in our schedule.

Minnesota
Indy

There are a handful of average teams on this schedule

and lots of lousy ones.

You play the schedule you're dealt.

Which really pisses me off cause Zona is the Defending NFC title holder and they got a pretty easy schedule by comparison.

So all we can do is get the required number of wins to beat them and take the Division.

WGAF at this point that the win was against Jax? If they had won people would be saying that they were better than we thought. Hell the Defense kept MJD under 100 yards. I'm okay with that.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Stevec9932:

Hey negative Nancy, why cant you be happy about a victory? We havent had anything to play for in the month of December for the last 6 seasons.. With a victory in Seattle and a Viking victory over the Cards will setup the biggest game SF has had since the 2002 season.. Monday night Football against the super bowl runner ups and winner has control of the divison!! Come on man get excited!!

That is pretty dam exciting and I got tickets for it! SWEET!!!

Originally posted by Eduardo75:
just a win against a s**tty team at home that somehow was able to have a winning record..

They did it by winning more games than they lost...
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stevec9932:

Wait, Leinart lit up Tennessee? Is 220 yards passing and 17 points considered lighting up an opponent? The 49ers scored 27 against Tennesee and Smith threw for 286 yards. We lit them up, but the problem is Smith threw too many INTs and the defense couldn't stop them.

We only scored 20 points against Jacksonville. That's horrible. We should forfeit the season right now because of that. Actually, the Colts only scored 14 against them in Week 1. They should also forfeit the season.

Just be happy we won the game. The points will come when everyone gets more comfortable. Crabtree should've had a TD. He's a rookie. Lawson dropped an easy one that would've put the offense in scoring position. Also, the defense let Jacksonville march up and down the field, keeping the ball out of Smith's hands.

There's a lot to be excited about. This team has a bright future.
We have played alot of good teams so far this season:

Minn
Indy
Ari
ATL
Hou
Tenn
GB
Jac

All these teams are winning teams or were winning teams at the time we played (except Tennesee which may be the hottest team outside of Indy/NO).

We have played all these teams to the finish except ATL

Now we finally get a few lame teams and a poster says he won't be impressed if we win against the lame teams coming up...

Let me ask this so called fan: In the past few seasons, how would we do against such a tough schedule? I'd bet we would have got blown out of most of these games.

I am already impressed with the niners this year even though we have a losing record. We have played tough and thankfully, the Niners have covered the spread in all but 2 game this season (ATL, Ten).

except this time the team is much better overall, and is going to win the division still. Warner or Leinert it doesn't matter the Cards are going to get killed by the Vikings and the 9ers will kills Sea. Then we will beat the Cards on MNF and take over the lead. we finish the season 9-7 tied w/Ari but holding the tie breaker.
The annual late season surge is different this year because at this point, we have more wins than we've had in week 12 than past years.

That means that the next few games actually DO mean something. I swear, even if the Niners were PERFECT, you're still going to find whining fans

don't forget smith was doing his thing against them too(kinda). if my memory is correct we were up 20-10 or 20-3 & the niners got tooooo conservative. but i think the team has learned from that. GO NINERS!!!!

This is the perfect time for a late-season surge, we still have a shot at the playoffs.

Really?

Leinart vs Titans: 21/31 220 yards 0 TD's 0 INT's
Smith vs Titans: 29/45 286 yards 2 TD's 3 INT's
Smith led offense scored 27 points against Titans
Leniart led offense scored 10 points against Titans

Both lost to the Titans.

Where do people come up with this crap?
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Really?

Both lost to the Titans.

Niner Talk: NO Logic Necessary
At least this year they have the wins (not enough) and opportunity to make the playoffs. Surge on.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Really?

Both lost to the Titans.

Niner Talk: NO Logic Necessary

Oh I agree, there is little logic, just knee jerk reactions to everything. I'm consistent in my criticism and will happliy change my tune if proven wrong. If Warner is out for extended games then this is different, but that's more winning by default in a lousy division than being good. Alos I love how people gloss over the 3 INTs in that game and a whole 66 more yards on 14 more attempts! AZ's defense lost that game, whereas our offense turning the ball over lost for us. It's all semantics anyway. The whole point of the post was that it's funny how the board reacts with each loss and victory, you guys flip flop more than politicians. We still have no pass rush and a back up Oline. This isn't going to be magically fixed until the offseason, hopefully.
Share 49ersWebzone