There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Here comes the annual late season surge

Originally posted by TX9R:
Nolan's teams did this too. Start decent, blow the season in the middle with a losing streak, play your way out of the postseason, then play well against crappy teams at the end (usually with nothing to play for) and get us excited about next year. Repeat.

Notice how Matt Leinart lit up Tennesee when we couldn't, or that we scored 20 points against a lousy Jax defense, the Bears debacle? Sorry, I'm not buying this as some turnaround, just more of the same we've seen the last decade or so.

Man who peed in your Cheerios? We won a _____ game. Enjoy the win. All I have seen on these boards the past several weeks is people clamoring about wanting a win. We get one and now the Debbie downers are crying about possibly not winning enough in the future. Give it a rest, enjoy the win, and chill out. We look like a lot better team then we have seen in many years.
Typically our late season surges under Nolan started later than this...

Don't get me wrong, I understand what your saying with Jax having such a lousy defense and pass rush. So I'm not drinking the kool-aid just yet...

However.. If we beat Seattle, and Arizona loses to Minni, this Sunday.. And then the Niners turn around and beat Arizona at home on Monday night.. We are in the division lead, and if we win out we win the division and are in the Playoffs! That is the only chance I see us having is that scenario right there..

With a team like Jax, it's hard to tell if that is the Niners coming out of a funk and growing up, or just a win against a s**tty team at home that somehow was able to have a winning record..

Seattle: very winnable game even in Seattle
Tards: We always play them tough, home game
Eagles: Could be a win, they lost to the Raiders after all... Still game is in Philly, and it's a tough place to play...
Lions: this is at home, should be a win...
Rams: 1-10, even thought it's away.. Definitely a win!

I have my doubts based on what I've seen this year that the Niners can run the table.. However, anything is possible... 10-6, with the Cardinals losing another game get's us in..

I feel we may get to 9-7, most likely 8-8..... Hope the Niners prove me wrong...
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
You guys are hilarious, if we'd lost the game this board would be flooded with "fire this" and "alex sucks that". Sorry I don't tilt that easily with one win over a sub par team. We haven't beaten a single good team since surprising AZ in week one and have looked unimpressive in beating lousy teams.
Its not how u start, Its how u finish that matters...
only this time our annual season surge will end with a division title and playoff berth
  • crzy
  • Veteran
You guys are hilarious, if we'd lost the game this board would be flooded with "fire this" and "alex sucks that". Sorry I don't tilt that easily with one win over a sub par team. We haven't beaten a single good team since surprising AZ in week one and have looked unimpressive in beating lousy teams.

But we didn't lose the game, we won 20-3, so what's your point?

What exactly are you complaining about?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
only this time our annual season surge will end with a division title and playoff berth

If we beat Seattle and Zona looses to the vikes its very possible.
FIRE THE WHOLE TEAM!!!
We win and people still complain.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
We win and people still complain.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I just don't understand why we are giving a new head coach only 1 full season to turn us around?

Patience is a virtue; not everyone is virtuous.

Who said anything about firing the coach? The problem is the talent, which is really just average. Although I do think a guy with X/O background could get better results with this type of talent by outscheming people. I also think the ass. coaches are a problem. You don't get cutting edge play design and calling from a 70 year old coach, you just don't. And Manusky is just average. Our blitzes and coverages are vanilla and predictable. I like MS, but he needs to have more creative guys calling plays.

Not to stick up for Raye, but tell that to Jim Johnson (RIP). Raye opened up the playbook yesterday and it showed that the niners can run that kind of offense. Will it happen that way every time? No, but you could see better days than that and you can also see worse days than that. Let's just see how the rest of the season goes before we start calling for heads to roll.

I admit I wanted to see Ray go too, but that was until I saw the flashes of what the team could do in the spread. I think he deserves at least the rest of the season to show if he can continue what he showed last week.

Since when is a 20-3 win over a team that has a winning record (argue the strength of their schedule all you want they were 6-4) not an impressive win. Since when is holding any team, not called the Lions or Rams, to only 3 points not considered impressive? Since when is a performance by Alex Smith in which he throws 2 tds and NO interceptions not an impressive performance? You need to get a clue as to what impressive means as your expectations may be a little to Manning like.

My only complaint is that in the second half coming out conservative rather then going for the jugular.
[ Edited by Cuphalffull on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM ]
I just don't understand why we are giving a new head coach only 1 full season to turn us around?

Who said anything about firing the coach? The problem is the talent, which is really just average. Although I do think a guy with X/O background could get better results with this type of talent by outscheming people. I also think the ass. coaches are a problem. You don't get cutting edge play design and calling from a 70 year old coach, you just don't. And Manusky is just average. Our blitzes and coverages are vanilla and predictable. I like MS, but he needs to have more creative guys calling plays.

Dick LeBeau is 71 and nobody seems to be complaining about his lack of blitz creativity. Jimmy Raye is crafting game plans per his HC (Singletary's) direction. Knock it off with the age discrimination bull.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:

But we didn't lose the game, we won 20-3, so what's your point?

What exactly are you complaining about?

Where is everyone getting complaining from? All I said is great, we won a game, but sorry, I've seen this before. I hope we do win out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm not pro or anti coach Sing, but the guy isn't exactly new to this team. He has been here since the start of the Nolan era 5 years ago. If he doesn't know the team by now he shouldn't be a head coach. He was the one screaming playoffs before the season started, not us. The implication is then, that the pieces are in place it's just a matter of coaching. So either he was dead wrong about the talent or he doesn't know about coaching (x's and o's). At the moment, I believe it's the latter.

P.S. With that said, I think Sing is learning on the fly and may prove to be a much better coach 2 years from now than what he is today. If you told me today that we have seen the full upside of coach Sing I would say find his replacement today, but I dont think thats the case.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM ]