There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Finally, meaningful games in December!!!!

Originally posted by MrOrange:
You guys are forgetting about tie-breakers.

In the standings we are 2 games behind GB, but they beat us. So really they're up 3 games. That is why we pretty much have to win out. The game against philly is HUGE and is a MUST WIN if we were to even have a shot. My prediction: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Forget the wild card. believe it or not it's easier to win the division outright. We can do that with an 8-8 record. 9-7 is a more likely scenario to the division though.
[ Edited by VA49er on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:00 AM ]
We'll be tied for the division lead on Dec. 14th.
It's very simple. We will not get the Wildcard. Too many other wilcard teams have beaten us.

The road to the playoffs is through the division. 10-6 (win out) wins the division.

9-7 with a win over the Cardinals wins the division if the Cardinals drop one somewhere along the line.

-9fA
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by mississippi_sam:
A 49ers win
A Cards loss
A Panthers loss.

One game at a time should be our focus for sure, but it's hard not to get excited when all the chips fall where you want them to after Thanksgiving.

We are creeping back into playoff contention.

And with the Panthers playing the Vikings, Patriots, Saints, and at NY, all signs point to a solid top 10 pick from Carolina.

How sweet it is.

IF the Panthers lose out, we are looking at around number 5-8

we need to trade out of the top 10 and pile up more picks if that happens.
NFL.com's posting of the Wild Card race...nice!

Nice linky...take a look at our Divisional and Conference records...not bad, we still have a chance!

OK, I'll say it out loud: "Win The West!"

With losses to wild card contenders Atlanta, Green Bay, and possibly Philly, the only road to the playoffs for the Niners is to win the division. Until further notice, that means that the Niners are already effectively in a must-win, one-and-out, playoff environment. They control their own fate regarding winning the division, where they hold a 3-0 record. Not so as a wild card, where they are much more vulnerable.

Lose at Seattle, and nothing else really matters. Niners must take care of business vs the Seahawks.
Originally posted by VA49er:

In the standings we are 2 games behind GB, but they beat us. So really they're up 3 games. That is why we pretty much have to win out. The game against philly is HUGE and is a MUST WIN if we were to even have a shot. My prediction: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Forget the wild card. believe it or not it's easier to win the division outright. We can do that with an 8-8 record. 9-7 is a more likely scenario to the division though.

8 and 8 won't cut it to win the division, that I promise. 9 and 7 minimum. we will have to win all but one and I believe it will only be against philly.

But in a 3 way tie that means nothing.
Well, at least one meaningful game. If Brett Farve and the vikes lose to the cards I will send him hate mail. Nothing too personal or threatening but hateful nonetheless.
we have to win next week
Originally posted by dave1003:
Originally posted by VA49er:

8 and 8 won't cut it to win the division, that I promise. 9 and 7 minimum. we will have to win all but one and I believe it will only be against philly.

We're beating Philly
Originally posted by ninertico:
NFL.com's posting of the Wild Card race...nice!

Nice linky...take a look at our Divisional and Conference records...not bad, we still have a chance!

only problem is the tie-breaking procedure
If we lose to the eagles we're in bad shape even if there's a two-way (or more) tie cos the second step is head to head or if a team lost to all the teams involved they are eliminated from the procedure
That means :
if we lose to eagles and we're tied with any of these teams (combined or not) we're out :
falcons
packers
eagles
If the giants are in the mix then it's good for us cos we haven't played them so that tie-breaking rule would not be applied

yep not easy
i have an easier one for you :
cards lose to vikes and we win the rest of the way : we're in !!!!!
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
We'd have to go 4-1 the rest of the way at the very worst.

@ SEA - should win
AZ - MUST win
@ PHI - Probably loss
Lions - should win
@ Rams - better win

So we can technically "get away" with losing to Philly and end 9-7 and have a good shot at a Wild card.

Ugh....I'll be honest though guys...I'm nervous as hell about the so called "easy" games. Knowing us, we lay and egg against the god damn Rams or Lions.

Ok I'm calm.

If we go 9-7, I dont see us making the playoffs with a wildcard spot, especially if we lose to philly. GB only needs 2 wins to reach 9-7 and they would own the tie, and if Phillly beats us, they would like finish 9-7 and own the tie as well. Maybe I am wrong though, does it go by overall conference record, or just how the teams played each other?