There are 240 users in the forums

Alex, Gore, Vernon, Crabs and Morgan the start of something special?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
If we can grab a fast & Shifty 3rd down back and some speed at slot receiver in next years draft, this offense has a chance to be straight up deadly and full of weapons.

CJ Spiller would be great for that!

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by VA49er:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Quote:
Clausen, Gore, Vernon, Crabs and Golden Tate the start of something special?

Someone watched the Stanford game.

I'd rather have Stanford's RB.

Tate and Clausen have more potential than Gerhart going on to the next level. TG might be more of a FB at the NFL level as well, we'll see how he responds in the offseason when put through RB drills.

And I watched every ND game as I am a ND fan

Im not big on guys who cant win games in College, so to Clausen

Not gonna win big games anywhere if your D is ranked 80th.

the 2 big games against USC and Pitt you guys had the ball with a chance to win and Clausen failed to do so, cant score from goal to go agaisnt USC and Clausen fumbles against Pitt
Fix the O-line and get the passing & running game more polished...until then we may never see anything "special", even if they have talented skill players.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Quote:

Tate and Clausen have more potential than Gerhart going on to the next level. TG might be more of a FB at the NFL level as well, we'll see how he responds in the offseason when put through RB drills.

the 2 big games against USC and Pitt you guys had the ball with a chance to win and Clausen failed to do so, cant score from goal to go agaisnt USC and Clausen fumbles against Pitt

Poorly thrown ball against USC yes, vs Pitt his arm was going forward thus it shouldn't have been ruled a fumble.

You failed to mention his four 4th Quarter comebacks this year.
Quote:

Poorly thrown ball against USC yes, vs Pitt his arm was going forward thus it shouldn't have been ruled a fumble.

you said BIG games
  • evil
  • Veteran
Quote:

you said BIG games

Purdue was a ummmm errrrrr you know BIG game....we are inter state rivals
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I only wish we had a shot at Clausen.
I would add Delanie Walker to that list too. The guy is a missmatch as much as Vernon is. I like when he's on the field, he's a first down monster.
Quote:

you said BIG games

Clausen will be the 1st QB taken anyway, and since we wont have a top 3 pick we wont get him.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Quote:

you said BIG games

Clausen will be the 1st QB taken anyway, and since we wont have a top 3 pick we wont get him.

*cough*Crabtree*cough*

What ?

As a RB Gore is on the older side. The good news is that he has a year or two in him and I believe you can always find a RB in the draft. The key is a line to open up some holes.

I have said this before and I will reiterate. We have the talent on the O side of the ball. We are missing just a few pieces right now.

QB- Can smith be the answer? Boy sure looks like it. If he keeps up the performance we won't need to draft another QB. I love the idea of letting Davis marinate.

RB-Gore is the answer. Nobody else in the stable is worth it. Gore has at LEAST two years in him. But we'll have to keep searching for someone to take his place.

WR- this group is set for years. If this is crabs with no training camp I can't wait to see how much better he keeps getting. Morgan has tons of upside and continues to improve. Jason Hill is a good third.

TE-This is why we don't need more than 3 or four WRs. We need to shore up Davis and Walker. Both of these guys are major threats. I love being able to switch from a power run two TE formation to four wide outs with no actual subs just formation shifts.

FB-Where are you Moran Norris? I think his brightest days are behind him. As we open up the offense I'd like to see us get a recieving threat in at that position. ( I wonder if that kid from Stanford can block? Roger craig part II?)

Bottom LINE. There is no immediate need to upgrade at any of the skill positions. Hopefully we can find a bookend at left tackle. I wonder what the O-line would look like healthy though? It's too bad we never really got to evaluate pashos. We need to address this group (as always) which we always try to. Hopefully some of the young guys will mature and maybe we can get a game changer in the draft or free agency.

As far as the fullback position is concerned, I believe we already have a replacement for Moran Norris and his name is Britt Miller and he is sitting on the PS.
Good point about Brit Miller. And we have Kory Sheets as our speed-demon, leap-over- tall-buildings guy. What? ... we don't have him anymore? Shoot!

One another sobering thought: remember that players age, go over the hill, suffer career-ending injuries. Teams have to bring in 7 to 8 quality players every year just to replace those leaving. Good teams have really good players at every starting position and a decent number of backups. Still, they have to be on their game to replace the number they lose each year.

In our case, even though McC has been at it for 5 years (6 equivalent drafts) we still have holes with our starters. He is behind the curve - wasted too many draft choices and bungled too many FA signings. Just when we think we have what we need, new unexpected holes will appear because of the short careers of player.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
I don't know about "something special." Montana, Rice, Taylor, and Craig... that was something special. But every team has to have their playmakers and this is starting to look like a pretty good core. I'm still not convinced that Morgan will ever be much more than mediocre, but he continues to improve slowly and might surprise me. And of course Alex Smith, while he took a nice step forward yesterday, still has a lot to prove.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Good point about Brit Miller. And we have Kory Sheets as our speed-demon, leap-over- tall-buildings guy. What? ... we don't have him anymore? Shoot!

One another sobering thought: remember that players age, go over the hill, suffer career-ending injuries. Teams have to bring in 7 to 8 quality players every year just to replace those leaving. Good teams have really good players at every starting position and a decent number of backups. Still, they have to be on their game to replace the number they lose each year.

In our case, even though McC has been at it for 5 years (6 equivalent drafts) we still have holes with our starters. He is behind the curve - wasted too many draft choices and bungled too many FA signings. Just when we think we have what we need, new unexpected holes will appear because of the short careers of player.

I'm really beginning to think Brit Miller would be a very nice fit in the more spread type offense.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by excelsior:

I'm really beginning to think Brit Miller would be a very nice fit in the more spread type offense.

Did you mean the SpreadCoast @Nes49.com

Share 49ersWebzone