There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Today was a taste of what our offense could be like with a solid OL

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think we need a shifty, niffty, speedy, running back to go with Gore. He's not a shotgun runner.

Willie Parker?....seems like they are ready to part ways with the guy...

or maybe we can get someone cheap in the draft....or Thomas Clayton makes a comeback next year

Not sure who the guy might be, but I know one thing, who ever he is, he better know how to check for extra rushers before he start going out for a pass or it would be real bad for Smith.
Seriously guys? Gore can't run out of the shotgun? He's been waaaaay better out of the shotgun this year, almost never gets stuffed at the line.

Small sample size today, but it's been the same all year whenever he's gotten a chance to run out of shotgun.

4 shotgun carries for 12 yards, minimum gain was 2 yards.

12 carries otherwise for 21 yards, SEVEN of those attempts were stuffed for 1 yard or less.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
I would like to see Raye try to run some wide stuff. I know Baas is not the best pulling guard in the world but Rachal might be able to help Gore get around the corner.

This team needs some variety in the running game from the I-formation. Let's see what the next week brings.
Originally posted by MadMartz:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I think we need a shifty, niffty, speedy, running back to go with Gore. He's not a shotgun runner.

Someone like Kory Sheets? Oh wait.........

I know right. Those Dolphins sure got a steal!

The Official Kory Sheets Stats Tracker
Week 7 - 0 Carries, 0 Yards (Inactive)
Week 8 - 0 Carries, 0 Yards (Inactive)
Week 9 - 0 Carries, 0 Yards (Inactive)
Week 10 - 0 Carries, 0 Yards (Inactive)
Week 11 - 0 Carries, 0 Yards
Week 12 - 0 Carries, 0 Yards (Inactive)

Trust me when I tell you this! Bill Parcels is a far superior talent evaluator/GM than Scotty M. His Teams win SB`s after he gets done with them. Sheets has the talent we are referring too like it or not.

thats why the Dolphins are doing sooo well.
Originally posted by teeohh:
someone mentioned keeping sims at LT and moving staley to right tackle when he comes back, would that be a good idea? why?

Black Jesus said so.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

oh please more like cj spiller

Yeah lets spend money on a first round draft pick when we have one of the best backs in the league. That's laughable at best, you know that right? Do you know how many holes this team has? Enough to not go wasting picks on rbs. Guys with Sheets skill set dont come along often in the later rounds of a draft. They dont come around often at all. It seems to be turning into an NFL trend almost. MJD, D. Williams, Jamal Charles, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Etc... All smaller backs that are shifty.
Originally posted by znk916:
Seriously guys? Gore can't run out of the shotgun? He's been waaaaay better out of the shotgun this year, almost never gets stuffed at the line.

Small sample size today, but it's been the same all year whenever he's gotten a chance to run out of shotgun.

12 carries otherwise for 21 yards, SEVEN of those attempts were stuffed for 1 yard or less.

The shotgun forces him to move laterally to pick and chose the holes at the initial hand-off, Gore is more the get it and go type. I think he lost a yard on a couple of plays running out of the shot gun. There were 3-4 yard gains also.
Originally posted by teeohh:
someone mentioned keeping sims at LT and moving staley to right tackle when he comes back, would that be a good idea? why?

I think that's a legitimate dream. I don't know if it's because the O line is getting help from the Qb being in the shotgun as opposed to them having a 7 step drop, but Sims has looked better than Staley in his short stint at LT IMO. Staley was pretty solid, but he wasn't anything real special, i just think everyone gave him the benefit of the doubt because they dont wanna believe our first rounder isnt great.

Sims has been real good, ive been watching him pretty closely. We know Sims sucks at RT, and he said he prefers the left side. If Staley is solid at RT (Which is a clear need for us), and if putting the best 11 men on the field at the same time is still considered the norm, why not???

but its not gonna happen.
I really don't like you guys right now. We won! And the line gave up NO sacks! Shut up and be happy!.... especially if YOU can't block an NFL defensive player!

I like to see us draft Jahvid Best!!!
Originally posted by znk916:

The shotgun forces him to move laterally to pick and chose the holes at the initial hand-off, Gore is more the get it and go type. I think he lost a yard on a couple of plays running out of the shot gun. There were 3-4 yard gains also.

Play by play says otherwise, if you want to be bothered to comb through them on nfl.com.

Like I said, small sample size but:

vs GB - 3 for 9 out of shotgun, one carry stuffed for no gain
vs Bears - 9 for 71, only one carry stuffed for less than one yard

etc.

Also, he rarely gets stuffed on direct snaps without a lead blocker.

I think the results indicate that we're much better off this year when Gore gets to utilize his vision and pick his spots from a standing start, instead of getting the ball as he's going downhill and having no choice but to stick it where the play is designed to go, which inevitably fails because of our crappy blocking.
[ Edited by znk916 on Nov 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

oh please more like cj spiller

I rather have cj catching out of the back field.
trade for reggie bush!!!
The O needs two things...upgraded OL and a much better RB corps. We need a shifty RB, agree, but also need a power RB. Any one of these guys would work: Unga, Gerhart, Clay or Dixon. If we get those two areas fixed, the sky's the limit...we could put up some serious pts.
Originally posted by fryet:
Not every week will be against the Jacksonville pass defense, but if we had a better OL, more games could be like this. Wouldn't you agree that Smith looked like a decent QB? Our biggest hole on offense was our tepid running game, and part of that might be because of running out of the shotgun. But if the 49ers can improve their OL, then we won't need a new QB, nor WR, or of course RB. It just takes an improved OL.

I totally agree. Just imagine if our OL could give Alex time to sit back and pass or open up running lanes for the RB........ This team would be a real playoff contender. I just hope we can keep it up.