There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Nice win, some positives but......

Originally posted by Shaj:
Smith played well but the stats are misleading. As I recall, he should have had 3 INT's, 2 of which would have been his fault.

I can play this game as well. As i also recall, he should have had 3 TDs and also about 5 more completions.

-9fA
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I still say when Staley comes back, stick him at RT and leave Sims at LT for the rest of the season.

Oh and get Brandon Jones of punt returns for good!

Does anyone have any idea when Staley is supposed to be back?

Haven't heard a peep but he got hurt 4 weeks ago and they said he would be back in 2 weeks so im hoping for the Arizona game? I did hear Clements shoulder injury was more severe than thought and he would be out longer than Staley.

I was on the field yesterday and spoke directly to him.... he is gunning for the Monday night game against Az
two things in particular I hated...

1. going soft on D at the end of the first half. We've been stuffing them the entire first half, and then we go soft and allow garrard and their O to find a rhythm, which carried over to the 2nd half.

2. scoring 3 points in the 2nd half. Granted, it could have been more had crabs caught that TD, but still, we clearly took our foot off the pedal. My question is why? Alex looked clearly comfortable with more usage of the spread (as this point was hammered home by solomon wilcots over and over again). Afterwards, it was painfully clear that Singletary is all about "protecting leads". I hate that. The offense should be trying to score everytime it takes the field, save for perhaps when the game is truly out of reach, which it was not for a while.

I feared this type of game, because despite the win, despite the positives from Smith, it's clear that there are still some major flaws in Sing's philosophy that wasn't exposed because the Jags are the worst 6-5 team in the league.
I think Davis had a down game because of the drops. VD needs to work on those. Can't just drop the balls that hit you in the hands.

Crabs dropped some too but since he's a rookie I'll let it go. Anyone remember Jerry Rice and how he had a case of the drops back in the day?
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Smith played well but the stats are misleading. As I recall, he should have had 3 INT's, 2 of which would have been his fault.

I can play this game as well. As i also recall, he should have had 3 TDs and also about 5 more completions.

-9fA
Originally posted by bsyde82:

1. going soft on D at the end of the first half. We've been stuffing them the entire first half, and then we go soft and allow garrard and their O to find a rhythm, which carried over to the 2nd half.

2. scoring 3 points in the 2nd half. Granted, it could have been more had crabs caught that TD, but still, we clearly took our foot off the pedal. My question is why? Alex looked clearly comfortable with more usage of the spread (as this point was hammered home by solomon wilcots over and over again). Afterwards, it was painfully clear that Singletary is all about "protecting leads". I hate that. The offense should be trying to score everytime it takes the field, save for perhaps when the game is truly out of reach, which it was not for a while.

I feared this type of game, because despite the win, despite the positives from Smith, it's clear that there are still some major flaws in Sing's philosophy that wasn't exposed because the Jags are the worst 6-5 team in the league.

Love the win but hate their killing instinct. I want them to beat their opponent to a pulp to the point they they go to the corner and cry like a little girl......Remember the superbowl against the Broncos when the Niners was just ass raping (55-10) and the Bronco team was crying in their little corner? Miss those days.
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A

Here we go. The brightest football mind of the universe now has his own stats category - the near INT's.

I don't know should we laugh or cry. Or just pity the poor fella.
Going forward:) I hope we can just beat Seattle and the Cardinals lose vs Minnesota setting up a very important game on Monday night vs Arizona!
Originally posted by sacleads:

Love the win but hate their killing instinct. I want them to beat their opponent to a pulp to the point they they go to the corner and cry like a little girl......Remember the superbowl against the Broncos when the Niners was just ass raping (55-10) and the Bronco team was crying in their little corner? Miss those days.

Agreed. They completely lack any killer instinct. Granted, they don't have anything close to those SB teams to routinely destroy teams, but still, why not keep going with the spread attack that was working fairly well in the first half? How can a team be so afraid to screw up that they need to go into "protect the lead" mode. It's a fundamental flaw w/ Sing's philosophy that I hope gets changed, but I doubt it.
Originally posted by sacleads:

Agreed. They completely lack any killer instinct. Granted, they don't have anything close to those SB teams to routinely destroy teams, but still, why not keep going with the spread attack that was working fairly well in the first half? How can a team be so afraid to screw up that they need to go into "protect the lead" mode. It's a fundamental flaw w/ Sing's philosophy that I hope gets changed, but I doubt it.

It's not that we don't have a killer instinct it's that we don't have a dominant team.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I love how the Smith haters have to play the "What If" game now when hating on him. I really think these people have mental problems when it comes to Smith.
Dayem that was a great post and analysis! Objective, honest and spot on. Great work.

The only thing I would add is that Morgan had a couple key drops. In fact, Alex may have gotten his 300 yards passing if not for all of the drops today. You absolutely nailed the criticisms on the defensive side as well and that middle is terribly soft and unfortunately, that includes Willis & Spikes who can't cover very well at all either and are often times lost in coverage but the bigger issue is with Goldson and Lewis who are just terrible in coverage - add in Roman and Brown and that can make any crappy WR group look like superstars against us (and they have)! It's a real problem and with a lack of any passrush (save for the d-line and Willis/Spikes up the middle), good QB's will have a field day against us so I share your thoughts going up there to Seattle. Absolutely.

PS: I'd like to see more Hill in at WR being used or splitting time with Morgan and I'd like to see more Brooks rotating in with both Lawson & Haralson to start working him into the starting lineup and see what we have for next year. I'd also like to see more audibles by Alex and runs out of the shootgun for Gore. A speedy change-of-pace back to bust one off tackle would be ideal too with this spread offense.

God bless Alex Smith & Vernon Dave and Delanie Walker for finally standing up to two stubborn old coaches in Singletary & Raye and God bless both of them for being wise enough to finally listen to reason. Let's build off this game.

Side note: Gore OWNS the Hawks so don't be surprised if we go back to a more traditional Raye/Singletary-style of offense.

Tooooootally agree! An attacking-style offense and defense need to stay in attack-mode and grow with confidence; not play not to lose! A spread offense and a 3-4 defense by design is to ATTACK and make the other team beat you. Period!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home